Giving it all up

Guest soulcrusher

Guest soulcrusher
So why not start over? Can't be worse than hating your life everyday? Go back to living as much of a minimalist life as possible and work towards something you will enjoy.

Complaining might feel good now, but it's only a temporary fix.

Believe me I'm always looking for something new.

job = just over broke

I just graduated from college and am about to start working at a very well known company utilizing my degree and I just want to say that YOU have the power to change your situation. I slaved away in retail for years before I decided to go back to school, not even knowing what I was going to major in.

It may be harder for some (kids, "jobs", debt, responsibilities, etc.) but it is all about keeping that PMA and putting the work in. Just trying to give a slightly positive perspective...

So why not start over? Can't be worse than hating your life everyday? Go back to living as much of a minimalist life as possible and work towards something you will enjoy.

Complaining might feel good now, but it's only a temporary fix.

Believe me I'm always looking for something new.

That's not exactly what I meant. I mean it's good you are looking, you aren't completely giving up hope. I meant more so like going back to school, or doing some vocational job training classes. Anything that will get you started down a different path you will enjoy. I took a couple years off school and just partied. I eventually saw how stupid this was and went back to school. Just today I passed my physical ability test to get into a fire academy. I am doing what I can to help myself into a career. I don't want to be stuck at the JOB I currently have. It may pay decently for now, but it's not a stable work environment, and the pay I enjoy now will be terrible later on when I want to be a homeowner.

Obviously, I am still young and dumb, but this is just how I see it now.

Guest soulcrusher

I suppose it's possible to go back to school, but at this point, it's a long shot. I don't have any idea what I would go back for.

I was in the same boat for the most part. I went back and my only intentions were to take electronic music courses so I could have access to the studio. Eventually, after playing with analog synthesizers for those classes, I decided to study electrical engineering because I was curious as to how oscillators, amplifiers, and filters worked. Now here I am, one day after graduation, ready to start my new position next month.

The point: just take some of the basics and in time you will figure out what you are really interested in.

I only have one class left to graduate, so I might as well finish it out. I really don't know what I want to do though. I'm already 26, and have no direction in my life, it sucks and is so depressing.

I know how you feel. I do shift work and do 12 hour days, wake up at 5:30 am to get intot he office to sit there and fix companies networks who i dont give a damm about. 12 hours later go home, have some dinner then go to bed and start again, then the nights come in all on your own in an office for 12 hours straight, weekends, bank holidays, im even workign xmas day this year and start nights on new years eve.

Me and the girlfirend get just enough each month to pay mortgage, rent, bills and some food. god forbid car tax or insurance is due then we screwed, but i guess 50% or more of the people out there are in the same situation

Guest soulcrusher
I know how you feel. I do shift work and do 12 hour days, wake up at 5:30 am to get intot he office to sit there and fix companies networks who i dont give a damm about. 12 hours later go home, have some dinner then go to bed and start again, then the nights come in all on your own in an office for 12 hours straight, weekends, bank holidays, im even workign xmas day this year and start nights on new years eve.

Me and the girlfirend get just enough each month to pay mortgage, rent, bills and some food. god forbid car tax or insurance is due then we screwed, but i guess 50% or more of the people out there are in the same situation

Sounds like the typical rat race. Surely there's a cabin for sale somewhere in England.

job = just over broke

I just graduated from college and am about to start working at a very well known company utilizing my degree and I just want to say that YOU have the power to change your situation. I slaved away in retail for years before I decided to go back to school, not even knowing what I was going to major in.

It may be harder for some (kids, "jobs", debt, responsibilities, etc.) but it is all about keeping that PMA and putting the work in. Just trying to give a slightly positive perspective...

i dig this. i did/am doing the slaving away in retail thing. i liked my job tho. for 4 years. but alas, Borders closed. so i'm 23 and starting community college at the end of the month. getting to a positive place after losing my job took a lotttt of time. (collecting records is a nice distraction) but, i've accepted the crappy sudden turn in my life and am excited about starting school.

if you're unhappy don't just sit back and take it. there IS a job out there that will make you happy. can't quit dreaming homie.

I feel the sentiment around here. Since high school I've been in and out of community college (I had the grades to go to a better school, but not the money), working numerous different restaurant jobs up to 60 hours a week, and living paycheck to paycheck. I've lived in 5 or 6 different places with upwards of 30 different roommates over the years. I'm back at my moms place because I was tired of working so much and still having no money. I've gone from not drinking at all to getting wasted every night of the week and back to none (Now I drink moderately, depending on the situation).

It's really a series of ups and downs for me. Summers are generally pretty good, winters destroy me. This happens on a smaller scale from day to day and week to week. I actually had a pretty good week up until the past two days where I worked 20 hours (we were slammmmeeddd) in about 36 and my quasi girlfriend broke up with me. But so it goes right?

My outlet has always been writing. It's how I've kept most of my sanity and gotten everything that's bundled in my head out in some tangible form. Writing stories, poems, journaling, etc. has kept my finger off the trigger and my hands away from pills and drugs for years. Of course making a career out of that is what I want, but it's damn near impossible in this culture of cheap entertainment (that's another discussion).

My point is that art (be it music, stories, film, crafting, whatever) is the only way to escape all this shit while still keeping what makes you human - your emotion. So find your artistic outlet!

i think about doing that at least once a week while i sit here in my cube-like area. then i remember i'm like super dependent on electricity and running water and stuff.

i just try to make the most out of my free time, i guess. like i balance out the 8 hours of doing something i don't want to do with 8 hours of doing a bunch of shit i want to do, like playing records and video games, watching baseball, etc

I've actually been thinking about this a lot recently. I'm a grad student working a shitty call center job that barely makes enough for my bills. Making the pull to leave that much more is that my family has a nice cottage on the lake in Canada where I could fish for food, or hunt dear/bear for food. I'm not really sure whats keeping me here, because my gf has said she'd go if thats what I wanna do...