Ben Kenney (from Incubus/formerly The Roots)

For anyone who is a fan of Incubus, some of you may know that their bass player Ben Kenney has put out 4 solo records as well as records in his previous bands The Division Group and Supergrub. I asked him about release vinyl on his facebook page and he was kind enough to respond...

Hey Ben, what can we do to get the ball rolling on getting some of your solo records or even Supergrub/Division Group pressed on vinyl? Would a kickstarter do the trick? I think a number of small labels may also be interested in footing the bill to do it. The ones I want the most are "Maduro" and "Challenger"!
Hi Chris. I love the idea of getting some of the older stuff on vinyl. A few people have asked about it over the years but there's never been quite enough interest to commit to pressing it up. The record plants I know of all have minimum orders of at least 300 and I can't imagine selling more than 50-100 copies of any of my solo albums in a novelty format like vinyl. It may seem like pessimism on my part but I have a garage full of unsold "Maduro" CDs providing a very compelling argument to avoid hard copies in the future. I am keeping my mind open about it though. Maybe in the future there will be more interest in my solo music and then it would be the right thing to do.

Thanks for writing,

-Ben

dude could proooobably afford to press these records himself without putting a dent in his bank account.

I guess he's afraid of the idea of ordering 500 of them, only to have 450 copies sitting in his garage collecting dust. Also, as wealthy as he may be, he does not strike me as a wasteful spender.

ya, I can understand that. Just too bad because unlike most musicians he's (probably) got the $$$ to do something cool with his music (like press it on vinyl) without having to resort to kickstarter, etc.

Supergrub played my backyard many moons ago. That cd is solid. He had a cool project with Chuck Treece too called Black Beans.

Don't forget Racecar, Standpoint, and WORTHLESS! Haha. Dave, maybe you should do a 20 Year Stanleypallooza Anniversary show. That's coming up in the next year or two right? We'll get the gang back together.

Supergrub played my backyard many moons ago. That cd is solid. He had a cool project with Chuck Treece too called Black Beans.

Don't forget Racecar, Standpoint, and WORTHLESS! Haha. Dave, maybe you should do a 20 Year Stanleypallooza Anniversary show. That's coming up in the next year or two right? We'll get the gang back together.

Well, Standpoint is your fav right Zac? I liked Racecar - Worthless had it's moments too (I forgot he played with you).

Honestly, a 20th reunion would be cool. It was funny how Steve's friend posted that flier on Facebook and 30 people reminisced. So yeah, 2014, let's do it at the Lanes.