people that make their own frames - glass ?

So I have an odd sized print that I want to frame. it's 20 X 26. I got the frame pieces from michaels that you put together to make your own frame and cute down a piece of cardboard backing to fit, but what do you do about something clear to cover it?

I don't care about glare or anything - it's going on the wall next to poster frames and I don't want to pay $45 for Michael's to cut me a piece of glass. What do you recommend?

I would check out a lowes or a home depot. I used to work a landscaping job and I had to get glass cut a few times there. I can't remember the exact price but it was definitely cheaper than 45. They also had different types of clear plastics and such that you could get cut which I assume is even cheaper. Good luck and hope this helps.

I would check out a lowes or a home depot. I used to work a landscaping job and I had to get glass cut a few times there. I can't remember the exact price but it was definitely cheaper than 45. They also had different types of clear plastics and such that you could get cut which I assume is even cheaper. Good luck and hope this helps.

Thanks. This is what I was thinking, but I couldn't find anything on Lowe's website. I'll have to go into a store.

I've posted all of this before....first off, ditch your cardboard backing if you give 2 shits about your print or picture or whatever it is that you're framing, Cardboard is highly acedic and will burn/eat your artwork, pay the money for the acid-free or at least PH neutral foamcore board. Shenanigans, you're in ATL, look up a store that sells nothing but glass, that's your best bet....and again, if you care about your artwork pic conservation/UV filtering glass otherwise it will eventually fade. Building frames (like most wood-work) requires specific tools to be done properly, if you don't have access to these tools, you're best bet is to pay the money for the frames

This is a great topic. I recently went to get some 12x12 frames for some La Dispute prints I have at Michael's and I didn't go through with it because of price. How do you guys go about making your own frames? Someone on here want to type out a mini tutorial?

12 X 12? Why not just grab some LP frames? they're usually $5 - $10 at Michael's

I've posted all of this before....first off, ditch your cardboard backing if you give 2 shits about your print or picture or whatever it is that you're framing, Cardboard is highly acedic and will burn/eat your artwork, pay the money for the acid-free or at least PH neutral foamcore board. Shenanigans, you're in ATL, look up a store that sells nothing but glass, that's your best bet....and again, if you care about your artwork pic conservation/UV filtering glass otherwise it will eventually fade. Building frames (like most wood-work) requires specific tools to be done properly, if you don't have access to these tools, you're best bet is to pay the money for the frames

I'll look into the foamcore. The cardboard I cut down is from an old poster frame I'm not using so not sure if it's the same as the cardboard from a box that I might have led on to. The frame pieces are sides with the L clips that you just screw together. The print was like $20, not looking to spend a bunch on a frame, just want to get it hung up on the wall.

12 X 12? Why not just grab some LP frames? they're usually $5 - $10 at Michael's

I'll look into the foamcore. The cardboard I cut down is from an old poster frame I'm not using so not sure if it's the same as the cardboard from a box that I might have led on to. The frame pieces are sides with the L clips that you just screw together. The print was like $20, not looking to spend a bunch on a frame, just want to get it hung up on the wall.

so the metal frames with like the spring-clips to hold everything tight? also, I would stray away from using plexi-glass as your "glass" on the front, simply because it scratches a lot easier than you would imagine aaaaaand it's hard as fuck to clean properly, it holds finger-prints for damn near ever

but to each their own.....I (unfortunately) grew up in the framing industry, and so I'm incredibly anal about this kind of stuff...my grandfather owned a whole-sale company and a few retail stores here in Alabama (and 1 in Florida), so I've been framing, stretching canvas, building shadow-boxes, cutting mats, using nail-hole/corner filler, cutting/breaking down glass, calibrating mat-cutters, sharpening moulding cutting blades, dry-mounting, shrink-wrapping, ect. ect. ect. literally as long as I can remember. I guess it's all about what exactly you're wanting out of it all, some people just want something to slap up on a wall and won't notice over-cuts in the matting or gaps in the joined corners of a frame...and that's all gravy, most people will never know the difference....for me, it's always awesome walking into a place (restaurant/house/business) and seeing something framed and matted really really well....nothing bums me out more (in the framing world) than walking into either art gallery or an art opening and seeing a bunch of framed art that looks as if it could fall apart on the wall at any given second.