Vinyl Collector Writers

I know there's gotta be some of you in here (obviously Scott). If so, I'm just curious if anyone has tried to publish anything, if so where? What kind of writing? I'm just curious because I've finally started submitting work, but there are just so many places. Let's hear about everyone else's experiences.

I write angsty depressing poetry that got published a few times at my old university. my professor said that I should try to pursue something but I just really don't even know where to start or if I even want to. a quick 'get published' google search is enough to overwhelm anyone. I feel your pain.

That's awesome they encourage you sjb2k1. I've been published locally a bunch, but being posted outside if that is a bit overwhelming. I received my first rejection letter yesterday, but it was for angsty poetry, and I'm definitely more of a fiction writer. Luckily, a pretty big publication said they may want to publish a story I wrote, so even if I get rejected, they're still showing interest.

i sometimes wonder if i should of tried to be a writer. growing up i was a lot more good at writing things and stuff than i was at doing other things. so i wonder sometimes. i'm almost 30 years old and i dont really write too much anymore but I just work at a manual labor job. but I wonder if I should go back to school to be a writer but I don't think it pays too good for most people and it's hard to get jobs! but people tell me I'm good at it sometimes. So I wonder.

i sometimes wonder if i should of tried to be a writer. growing up i was a lot more good at writing things and stuff than i was at doing other things. so i wonder sometimes. i'm almost 30 years old and i dont really write too much anymore but I just work at a manual labor job. but I wonder if I should go back to school to be a writer but I don't think it pays too good for most people and it's hard to get jobs! but people tell me I'm good at it sometimes. So I wonder.

I just turned 29 a few weeks ago, so you shouldn't be too concerned about your age. I quit a semi-lucrative job (for somebody sans college degree) last year to go back to school and focus on writing. I'm aware the market is tough, and print is gradually going the way of the buffalo, but I would much prefer to struggle doing something I love than go back to selling dumb shit to teenagers. If it's something that you're interested in steven, than do it. You don't have to go back to school immediately, just start writing anytime you feel like it. Maybe night classes would be a good fit for you.

Just start writing a certain amount per day whether it be 2 pages or 500 words. Just like anything you need to practice and exercise your writing muscles. Don't worry about it being good, just write and eventually you'll find some good stuff that you can develop and flesh out into full works in your daily writings.