Dual 1209 no sound

I'm in the process of restoring a Dual 1209 and I've got everything working as it should, except when I hook it up to my reciever, I get absolutely no sound. I don't have a pre-amp but shouldn't need one, I've never ran one between any of my other tables. If anyone has any advice and/or experience with these tt's, I would greatly appreciate any advice you may have! Thanks.

I love when people say "not trying to be a jerk ... but (insert jerky statement here)."

Seriously though, without even seeing the table operate, this is a pretty easy call. Just take a breath and think about it for a second.

I have a Dual 1229, which is basically the same thing with a few upgrades and features. The guts are a complex mess of gears and levers and tiny mechanisms that need to be cleaned and lubed every few years. If you have that shit working correctly, congrats! That's the hard part.

But the sound ... it's got nothing to do with any of that. You've got the stylus / cartridge / headshell, then the tonearm wire, which connects to the jacks underneath the table, and finally the cables that go to the phono jacks on your receiver. If you're not getting any sound, the issue is somewhere in that chain ...

Unless it's in the receiver, speakers, etc etc. Do you have a way to check that stuff to make sure it's working okay? Do the easy thing first and make sure that all that junk is functional.

After that's done, move onto your cartridge, tonearm, etc etc. First thing I would look at is that you've got the cartridge connected properly to the headshell. Again, easy stuff.

White = L (Left Hot)

Red = (Right Hot)

Blue = LG (Left Ground)

Green = RG (Right Ground)

If that's okay, double check that the headshell wires are firmly connected to the cartridge and that there's no oxidation on the little nubs or whatever (I can't think of the damn word right now). If there is, you can usually sand it off with a super-fine file or sandpaper. Some people recommend silver polish too. Make sure that the contacts on the detachable headshell are in good shape as well.

If that's all good and you still have problems, it could be bad tonearm wire or the rca cables. The tonearm is where I'm out of my element, but do you know how to measure continuity with a multimeter? You can check each channel between the cartridge leads all the way to the end of the RCA cables.

Oh, I totally forgot that the Duals have a mute switch that turns off the sound when the tonearm is moving into playing position. I guess it could be that as well. I believe it's something that you can clean as well, but I'm not positive.

You know what? Just check the easy stuff that I mentioned first. If you're still having problems, post something at VinylEngine or Audiokarma. The Dual 12XX family of turntables are all very similar and there are a ton of people who own them and work on them. I bet someone can help you out.

ajxd, while you're fucking yourself, I'd like to say thanks to bearchuck for actually contributing. I probably should have posted first at audiokarma or vinylengine, as those people are very helpful and friendly. I lose myself too often and forget about the elite "audiophile" douche cocks that post here.

By restoring, I mean I've taken a table that did NOTHING (plugged in and motor hummed, that's it), and now everything works and functions (speed changes, size variations, auto functions, etc.) except I have no sound. The wiring is good, I've cleaned all my connections, everything *appears* to be in working order, but this is where I am. I've done the easy, common sense stuff, all except checking continuity from the contact points on the cartridge/headshell on to the RCA jacks - I'll do that next.

But, hey - what do I know? I've got less than 100 posts, right?

It always amazes me when people claim to be blindsided on VC. I hang out here to get new release info and discuss some music, but out of all the vinyl/turntable related forums on the internet, this is the LAST one I would post any hardware or technical questions. No offense to Bearchuck or ajxd who seem to have a genuine interest in helping the VC population, but there are far superior options, two of which the guy mentions himself.

And saying you "don't need a pre-amp because you've never needed one before" is NOT the same as "I don't need a pre amp because my receiver has one built in." Just in the last couple of weeks we've had a couple threads where people asked why their turntable sounds so bad with their receiver? Only to find out that they don't have a phono pre.

I don't read those posts, but you're right, I probably should have started somewhere else; this is just where I was at the time and it occurred to me to post. I don't post here often, to be sure.

Anyway, no Touche Amore records? We shall be friends.

Apparently I hit a chord with my vagueness...I don't need a pre-amp, because my receiver smashes your world.

Oh, moodydan ... you're just not used to ajxd's particular brand of douchenozzle-y charm, which is usually characterized by several condescending posts interspersed with some real nuggets of wisdom. He's our resident cranky teddy bear.

But like kannibal said, the real technical stuff is better suited for Auidokarma or Vinyl Engine. I prefer the former because you'll get plenty of friendly, knowledgeable responses quickly. The people on Vinyl Engine are nice as well, but sometimes it takes forever to get any feedback. In fact, I posted a fairly simple advice question there about two months ago and it still hasn't gotten a response.

I did a couple quick searches last night and there's not too much on the 1209, but I switched my query to "No output from Dual 1219" and a couple threads popped up. This one below seems particularly relevant, and it's continued in the link below that.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=326563

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=326688

If the wires / rca cables / jacks are checking out, I'm willing to bet that your problem is in the headshell. Lots of advice in those threads, but you might even consider buying a new one. They're not tough to find and they're relatively inexpensive.

Anyway, let us know how it goes!

The receiver in question is a Pioneer SX-434. Not truly world-smashing, but a nice little receiver. I've got a BIC 960 hooked up to it and some Bose SA-300 speakers. It's my little system in my basement where I'm working on restoring a couple of things, so I use it as my test equipment as well.

• 7 months later...

Not to restore a super-dead thread without cause; I wondered to myself why I thought ajxd is such piece of shit.  This thread is the reason.

In the end, the muting switch was bent out of shape and had funk built up on it; a bit of bending carefully back into place and cleaning and all things were good.