project record puck....sorry last one.

OH, PUCK! It's on, people!

This is literally a $2 argument. Buy a 4 oz Junior puck (it's not about the weight, it's about drilling a hole that's smaller than the spindle to achieve the clamping action), find the center (watch this super annoying, but useful video:

), slap it on your turntable and see what happens.

Tons of people have done the exact same thing with varying degree of success. If your hole is a fraction of an inch off center, is it going to cause crazy stability issues? My honest opinion is that I seriously doubt it, and I have my (mostly unscientific) reasons for thinking that way.

I've been wrong before though, and if I am, you'll sure as hell hear it when you play records.

Oh, buy a few pucks, just in case you screw something up.

This is literally a $2 argument. Buy a 4 oz Junior puck (it's not about the weight, it's about drilling a hole that's smaller than the spindle to achieve the clamping action), find the center (watch this super annoying, but useful video:), slap it on your turntable and see what happens.

Tons of people have done the exact same thing with varying degree of success. If your hole is a fraction of an inch off center, is it going to cause crazy stability issues? My honest opinion is that I seriously doubt it, and I have my (mostly unscientific) reasons for thinking that way.

I've been wrong before though, and if I am, you'll sure as hell hear it when you play records.

look what i started!

also, i really hate that guy.

This is literally a $2 argument. Buy a 4 oz Junior puck (it's not about the weight, it's about drilling a hole that's smaller than the spindle to achieve the clamping action), find the center (watch this super annoying, but useful video:), slap it on your turntable and see what happens.

Good rec on the junior puck. Also I read using a 9/32-inch drill bit as well for the best clamping results. Also, if you can add an adhesive felt fabric to the bottom or remove the puck labels so that nothing rubs off on your records.

And I agree, ruining your motor by being off a lousy micro meter just doesnt make sense to me... I agree to try and get as close as humanly possible though and buy a few pucks to experiment with.

Haha, it's not about ruining your motor, it's about speed stability and consistency. If a speedbox, essentially just a marginally improved power supply, is on this board considered audibly better, then how is this even still a debate?

Yes. I bought 3 jr. Hockey pucks at a grand total of $4.20. Ill report back with the final results.

Haha, it's not about ruining your motor, it's about speed stability and consistency. If a speedbox, essentially just a marginally improved power supply, is on this board considered audibly better, then how is this even still a debate?

I totally agree that it's a speed and stability issue, but what I'm saying is that if your puck is a smidge askew, there's simply not enough force or mass applied where you'd even notice a difference in pitch.

Again, my reasons are mostly unscientific. I took physics in high school nearly 20 years ago, and that knowledge is long gone! I just think that given the fact that vinyl is an imperfect format, it's logical to think that most turntables can handle those slight imperfections, including a 4 oz hockey puck that's a fraction of a centimeter off-center.

I don't know - maybe I'll buy a couple pucks and experiment for the fun of it. My AR XA's spring-loaded sub chassis needs to be properly balanced, and the motor needs a push to start; if any turntable was susceptible to stability issues because of an off-center puck, it would be mine.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to DIYing my hockey puck clamp (nailed dead center on my first try). I will say there is definitely a noticeable sound improvement. Its very slight and I'm guessing a more expensive one would do a better job but hell, for $4 it was definitely worth it for the time being until I free up some funds for a real clamp.

Spent about an hour doing many types of listening comparisons with and without the clamp to verify there was an upgrade in sound.

hey! if anyone cares, I totally went with this one and i love it.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-6924-clearaudio-clever-clamp.aspx

Ive heard good things about that one. When I do get around to getting a "real" clamp Im gonna get the brass clamp from Purest Audio (I believe its 54.99 on amazon.com shipped). Mainly for looks purposes though over the one you have, which Im sure works great. 

Ive heard good things about that one. When I do get around to getting a "real" clamp Im gonna get the brass clamp from Purest Audio (I believe its 54.99 on amazon.com shipped). Mainly for looks purposes though over the one you have, which Im sure works great. 

i hear ya. living the broke life ain't pretty. but saving 20+ bucks is!  :)

i hear ya. living the broke life ain't pretty. but saving 20+ bucks is! :)

The ol' wife has me on an allowance so we can buy more income properties. Tough trying to balance finances that will allow me to retire much sooner, with the immediate "now spending" on my vinyl hobby.

Its nice to be able to get any kind of sound upgrade for a buck. It will hold me over for the time being until funds appear for a legit clamp.