project record puck....sorry last one.

They both achieve the same result, but in different ways. A record clamp is used to reduce vibration by providing greater contact surface between the record and the platter. The pro-ject one achieves this with it's weight, the clearaudio one with force (I have no idea how else to call it - it "clamps" the spindle an thus holds the record down). But the second one is a much better option for tables like the entry-level pro-ject models, because heavier clamps have too much of an impact on the performance of less powerful, less stable motors these tables include. The cheap belts and small circumference of the sub-platter don't help either.

• 3 weeks later...

They both achieve the same result, but in different ways. A record clamp is used to reduce vibration by providing greater contact surface between the record and the platter. The pro-ject one achieves this with it's weight, the clearaudio one with force (I have no idea how else to call it - it "clamps" the spindle an thus holds the record down). But the second one is a much better option for tables like the entry-level pro-ject models, because heavier clamps have too much of an impact on the performance of less powerful, less stable motors these tables include. The cheap belts and small circumference of the sub-platter don't help either.

Entry level like the xpression right? Carbon can handle a puck I would guess

How is the weight of a hockey puck at all relevant to my question...

Nevermind, when you said puck, I took it to mean you were looking into the DIY hockey puck suggestion. Im actually thinking about trying it myself.

Yes, your carbon can handle a 26oz record puck, so use that as a frame of reference when looking.

Entry level like the xpression right? Carbon can handle a puck I would guess

The xpression is actually a step above the carbon, but both have very weak motors. From the Pro-Ject line, I don't think it would be wise to use a heavy puck on anything below their RPM5.1 model.

Nevermind, when you said puck, I took it to mean you were looking into the DIY hockey puck suggestion. Im actually thinking about trying it myself.

I'm sorry, but there's absolutely no way that this is a good idea.

The xpression is actually a step above the carbon, but both have very weak motors. From the Pro-Ject line, I don't think it would be wise to use a heavy puck on anything below their RPM5.1 model.

I'm sorry, but there's absolutely no way that this is a good idea.

Why? Read a lot of people reviewing saying it works pretty well. Whats the difference? Its just a weight...

Really... that's unfortunate. So something like a clamp would be better?

Well a clamp and a puck are essentially the same thing. Some hold the record down simply with their weight, some "grab" the spindle in addition to weighing a ton, but what you need with a table that has a weaker motor is a clamp that weighs very little, but grabs the spindle firmly. The clearaudio clever clamp I posted above is one such example, I'm sure there are others, but I never researched more because this one works perfectly.

Why? Read a lot of people reviewing saying it works pretty well. Whats the difference? Its just a weight...

To avoid any negative effect on the platter spinning stability, the spindle hole has to be centered down to a μm. CNC made ones have a percentage of "throwaways" because they don't meet the quality standard, so I highly doubt one can come even close to that with a diy solution.

Well a clamp and a puck are essentially the same thing. Some hold the record down simply with their weight, some "grab" the spindle in addition to weighing a ton, but what you need with a table that has a weaker motor is a clamp that weighs very little, but grabs the spindle firmly. The clearaudio clever clamp I posted above is one such example, I'm sure there are others, but I never researched more because this one works perfectly.

To avoid any negative effect on the platter spinning stability, the spindle hole has to be centered down to a μm. CNC made ones have a percentage of "throwaways" because they don't meet the quality standard, so I highly doubt one can come even close to that with a diy solution.

meh, its only 6 oz, id think there would be much more adverse effects with a heavier puck on an entry level motor

What an ass. He gives you a logical explanation. Just accept you don't know what you're talking about, because you don't.

Sure bud. Still sore over the Carbon huh? I literally never expected as many babies on here to be so pissy about getting a serious deal on a TT. Oh well, you proved me wrong. Have you personally DIY'd a puck? Id seriously doubt an elitist asshat like yourself would ever stoop to that low a level to even consider trying...

What the hell are you talking about?

And yes, I tried the puck. Didn't like it. Bought a clamp.

What Im saying is that if you want to try a record puck with an entry level TT, maybe a hockey puck is a cheap light weight alternative (never said its perfect) upgrade to your setup. Obviously youll need to do your research on how to center it (as well as do your research based on other peoples testimonials), but it can still serve a purpose as a sound upgrade while limiting the amount of damage done to your TTs motor mainly due to its weight compared to other record pucks available on the market.

Disclaimer: I haven't done this personally but have read plenty of satisfied people to understand this probably isnt a total dumbass cost-cutting option, like its being made out to be around here.