Electric razor recommendations and shaving discussion

tittus

"you get what you pay for" is good advice. It's something you are going to use everyday. Don't go for a $25 one.

I have a straight razor. It is freaking impossible for me to use it without bleeding like Homer in that medicinal marijuana episode of the Simpsons.

Also, when I shave with the electric I don't use the main part. I use the extension part (I'm not sure if this is clear). I think it is made for sideburns? But anyways, it leaves the hair a little longer. I tend to get ingrown hairs, acne, etc when I cut my hair down to the skin. Leave it a fraction longer, and no problems.

Did a few searches on the Norelco. This model is in the price range I'm looking to stay in and has pretty good reviews on closeness/irritation. And it's also on sale now.

http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

Like I said, I like to leave stubble and not shave down all the way down (no razor burn or acne). This pic shows what I am talking about.

RCS01-1.jpg

Yours doesn't seem to have that. I personally would buy one without that part but your call. It's not like I have tried hundreds of electric razors, though. Maybe yours is great.

Anyone ever oil theirs? I remember to do it about once a year. Maybe that is part of my problem.

I'm speculating, but I think part of the problem with the lower quality ones is that they tend to rip the hairs out rather than cutting them cleanly. That has been my experience. But we definitely got the better end of the deal (compared to girls waxing/shaving their legs).

yes on the ripping vs. cutting.

i tried an electric and broke out like a mother fucker. if i have to go baby face i use my quattro with my wife's shaving lotion. not sure what it is but when i use her shit i feel so much better.

I gave up on electric razors early on.. they always irritated me and weren't worth their "ease". And when I don't have a beard, I just prefer the experience and close shave of a regular razor. The one thing that has REALLY helped me is to shave in the shower though. Get yourself a mirror in there and then do your regular routine and shave at the end once your face has had a little time in the steam/warm water. Helps tremendously!

I have heard it both ways. During showering, your skin definitely absorbs some water. I've heard to shave after because it "softens up your skin" and to shave before because "you will get a closer shave before your skin puffs up". But I don't think it really matters. Shaving in the shower seems like a big waste of water / energy if you do it regularly.

Good to see that the trimmer seems to actually be more popular than the main razor. I thought I was in the minority there.

I use a Norelco electric razor, but I'm thinking of moving toward a safety straight razor. It may be expensive now (my guess would be somewhere between $100-150 for a razor, brush and soap) but in the long run it'll be cheaper. I've been doing research on them and it seems like it is the way to go