Sunlight Ascending - Leaving My Waiting Room (Kickstarter)

yeah, I know, I saw that and thought we'd have all the stuff by now.  They didn't send out things in batches like they said, either.

I keep forgetting to message them on kickstarter or email, but trying not seem impatient.

I think at this point it's okay to be impatient. They allegedly had this at their record release show over a month ago and we have heard nothing since that date. I messaged them one on Facebook a month ago and once on Kickstarter maybe a week ago and have received no response. Pretty bummed that they aren't sending anything out yet and aren't responding to questions/concerns of people who helped fund this album release.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got a response from the band.  Looks like we may be seeing this soon:

I'm very sorry for not getting back to you about this... We've been super behind on everything lately, even keeping the band together. But the stagnant point is almost over, and we're almost done catching up with all of these orders. We have your package ready to go, we just need an address, and I'll send it out to you ASAP with a tracking number (might be a week or two). I don't know why but half of the addresses aren't listed on this website, and we've had several people not get back to us yet. And vinyl took way longer than we expected to get finished (we're still paying for half the records) So It's all been very confusing, but I hope you still look forward to the package. We'll be sending everything with it, along with some other goods. I hope all is well with you!

-James

• 1 month later...

Fiiiiiiiiiiinally got this in the mail yesterday. They had finally responded me via Facebook on Sept 18th telling me to message back with my address because apparently they didn't have it through Kickstarter. I did so the same day and didn't receive anything for almost a month. Messaged them on the 16th of October asking what the deal was. Never got a response but lo and behold yesterday it finally arrived. So I have to assume they scrambled and sent it out the day of or the next day after I sent that message.

I am spinning it for the first time right now and it does sound good. However the packaging is a bit odd. Instead of a gatefold for the two discs it's housed in two separate single sleeve jackets each with the same basic screenprinted art with the band name and album title. I guess the money they raised wasn't enough to do what they really wanted. Who knows. All I really care about is the music anyway. I wasn't expecting anything extravagant in terms of packaging. They did send a thank you note with the record as well which had an apology for the massive delay. They also included a bunch of goodies, like 5 or 6 limited CDs of their previous works as well as a live CD. So that's all pretty cool I suppose. They also included the t-shirt that was part of the package I paid for on Kickstarter, though it is the wrong size so I'll have to see if I can get the right size from them with the poster which they said will ship separately at some other point in time. Who knows when.

Also they said they would be sending me a copy of a 7" they are putting out at the end of this year. Not holding my breath for it to be ready by then lol. Anyway, just thought I'd fill everyone in. Just glad to own the record. Hopefully the t-shirt and poster and 7" will work out as well.

Edit: I should also add that the two jackets are not identical. Only the front is. They do have the track listing for each side on the back of each (A and B on the back of disc one's jacket and C on the back of disc 2's jacket) as well as some artwork/picture of the band and the band's autographs on the back of the second jacket. Also the D side is blank. The grooves do take up a lot of the space on all 3 sides, but I think the music sounds fine. I guess maybe it would have cost more to spread it out and press the D side? I don't really know. Either way, just FYI.

wow, great!!!  Hope I get mine soon.  Would love pics in the meantime if you get a chance

Unfortunately I am heading to NYC today to see Frightened Rabbit and am staying overnight in Brooklyn and I will be busy tomorrow evening as well. I can probably upload some pics late Saturday night or sometime on Sunday. For now you can check out this picture that the band sent me when they first messaged me back in September on Facebook.

25grx2o.jpg

Fiiiiiiiiiiinally got this in the mail yesterday. They had finally responded me via Facebook on Sept 18th telling me to message back with my address because apparently they didn't have it through Kickstarter. I did so the same day and didn't receive anything for almost a month. Messaged them on the 16th of October asking what the deal was. Never got a response but lo and behold yesterday it finally arrived. So I have to assume they scrambled and sent it out the day of or the next day after I sent that message.

I am spinning it for the first time right now and it does sound good. However the packaging is a bit odd. Instead of a gatefold for the two discs it's housed in two separate single sleeve jackets each with the same basic screenprinted art with the band name and album title. I guess the money they raised wasn't enough to do what they really wanted. Who knows. All I really care about is the music anyway. I wasn't expecting anything extravagant in terms of packaging. They did send a thank you note with the record as well which had an apology for the massive delay. They also included a bunch of goodies, like 5 or 6 limited CDs of their previous works as well as a live CD. So that's all pretty cool I suppose. They also included the t-shirt that was part of the package I paid for on Kickstarter, though it is the wrong size so I'll have to see if I can get the right size from them with the poster which they said will ship separately at some other point in time. Who knows when.

Also they said they would be sending me a copy of a 7" they are putting out at the end of this year. Not holding my breath for it to be ready by then lol. Anyway, just thought I'd fill everyone in. Just glad to own the record. Hopefully the t-shirt and poster and 7" will work out as well.

Edit: I should also add that the two jackets are not identical. Only the front is. They do have the track listing for each side on the back of each (A and B on the back of disc one's jacket and C on the back of disc 2's jacket) as well as some artwork/picture of the band and the band's autographs on the back of the second jacket. Also the D side is blank. The grooves do take up a lot of the space on all 3 sides, but I think the music sounds fine. I guess maybe it would have cost more to spread it out and press the D side? I don't really know. Either way, just FYI.

Congrats on getting stuff!

I was about to email and see if he needed shipping money to get mine out, but I'll wait a few more days.

If my shirt size is off and happens to match what you need I'm down for trading if you want - I usually am Med or Lg depending upon the shirt manufacturer. Forgot what I ordered with these guys.

They asked for my address, too, but then emailed right back and said 'nevermind' that they had it and the shirt size request. fingers crossed and my daughter is really into them,too, so the CDs were going to be saved for Christmas presents.  They looked really cool on the KS page.

• 1 month later...

SA came through and the very apologetic note from James said they had not disbanded despite all the trials that seem to hit at exactly the worst time in their life as a band. I listened to their anthology on mp3 late last night, and the new live tracks - and rekindled an appreciation for their talent and range: from ambient to hard rock. Almost thought a Russian Circles track had gotten mixed up in there at one point (on the latest release).  Here's the stuff, minus a 'regular' 2xLP - each LP has its own sturdy cardboard jacket (think: Deadhorse) and the small poster I forgot to take out of the tube. They threw in an extra shirt, sticker, and "Leaving..." CD for the long wait:

SunAscendVinyl.jpgSunAscendMerchCDs2.jpg

Wish them the best on their future, but I think they learned KS or DIY is probably not the ideal way to go (for them) - we'll see.

• 1 month later...

via their facebook page:

First things first; we want to send our apologies to our friends and fans who received their Kickstarter packages so late, or for those of you who have yet to receive them (if you haven't received your package yet, it's probably because we still need your mailing address, or they were lost during shipping). Everything that was missed we will send out this week.

From the get-go, we were naive in thinking we could accomplish everything so fast with a kickstarter project, and in the end I think we learned our lesson as far as these sorts of things go; we did not expect the unexpected. We hope we didn't let any of you down too much in the process, at least in the long term of things, and hopefully the extra goods sent out will be a small token for your patience.

Being in this band is a strange thing, and admittedly, we've never been all that good at keeping it a top priority over our lives. But It's also frustrating to see our fans and friends disappointed in us for taking so long to get things done, and I know that doesn't help when we lack in communication. While we can throw out excuses, this shouldn't happen for anything, so we don't have anything else to say other than we're sorry to those of you who supported our band as much as you all did. 

As a small token to give back to you all for waiting so long, we want to release a brand new track which was written for a fan, Stefano Meltese, who helped fund our kickstarter. This song is featured on our split 7" we are doing with our friends Great Reversals who are an awesome hardcore band. It will be released in a few weeks. You can pre-order the 7" here below. Those who donated $50 or more on the kickstarter will receive these records in the mail for free when they are released.

Stream the split here: http://gr8rev.bandcamp.com/album/great-reversals-sunlight-ascending-split-7

Pre-order it here: http://revsunlight.bigcartel.com/

Everyone else will receive a download of the track for free. We also want to share a live-session we did for free, streaming on our bandcamp, which features 6 songs over the course of all of our previous releases. All of this is at the link below:

https://sunlight-ascending.bandcamp.com/album/a-collection-of-live-recordings 

As for our current state, things have come to halt for the time being; we've been a band for about 7 years now, and for as many member changes as we've had, and the struggles to keep the band out of stagnant situations, we still love the music we write and I don't think that's a feeling we can ever lose. However, we have about two or three shows coming up in the next few months and then we will be entering an indefinite hiatus. It's just something that we feel has to be done in order for us to want to pursue the project again. We're not breaking up, just putting things on hold for a while. Maybe by the end of the year we will be back in action, but I don't see it being that quick...

We'll still be heavily involved in music; Sean is now playing guitar and touring with Hollow Earth, Jeremy is doing drums with From Hell (https://www.facebook.com/fromhellmi), Nick went back to doing his own thing full time and will be playing SXSW this year, and I am also involved in a slew of projects that will be putting out music this year (Causal Nexus, Not Ok, Broadacre, etc.)

We are doing our split 7" release show with Great Reversals and more in March (date TBA) at the Yonka House, which we will post details on shortly. We also plan on doing a show in Alma, Michigan, which we'll have details for soon.

Once again, thank you all for listening to our music over the years, thank you for your patience, and thank you for hopefully understanding all the confusion. There will be no more confusion from this point on. Thank you all 

bummer that it's come to this.  Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten my kickstarter package, and to be honest, it's starting to piss me off.  I understand that it's hard to do these things independently, but I've not gotten any response to any of my messages (via email, kickstarter and facebook) over the last 5 months.  WTF guys.