What albums/bands got you into music?

I guess my music was mostly influenced by riding in the car with my mom. Her favorite was The Best of the Monkees. We also listened to Now That's What I Call Music 8 which is probably what influenced me the most... It had the Gorillaz, Smash Mouth, Sum 41, and Blink-182 on it. We also jammed to Gwen Stefani's Love. Angel. Music. Baby. The first CD I ever bought (I believe) was Five Score and Seven Years Ago by Relient K. I didn't really appreciate music until around 2005.

I got into hardcore in 8th grade from listening to Black Flag, the Misfits, and Fat bands, because a dude I thought was a badass would wear their shirts and write band names on his notebooks (I wonder if kids still do that).

Right? Good times...

For me it was my parent's records...mostly 80's pop music like Madonna, Michael Jackson, Bon Jovi, etc., as well as The Blues Brothers movie. This was prior to elementary school, and by the time I got to middle school I had discovered gangsta rap (Snoop and Dre). It was short lived though since I became a grunge/alternative rocker in middle school, which led me to punk. High school for me was grunge, Korn and Limp Bizkit, and Fat/Epitaph bands.

Nowadays, I like it all..from punk to jazz to noise to whatever. I still don't dig on a lot of the VC hype bands, but that's okay...most folks around here aren't into what I am into either. :blink:

Surprisingly, Dashboard Confessional. I listened to them freshman year of high school, which led me to Further Seems Forever, then Tooth & Nail and Solid State Records, to bands like Underoath, Norma Jean, mewithoutYou, the Chariot, etc. My music taste has changed a lot since then and has widely grown, but I still most of the bands I used to listen to and know that the reason I have such a passion for music today is because of that time in my life.

Chumbawamba - Tubthumper was the first album I ever bought. (on cassette).  In middle school I was into Green Day, Sum 41 and other radio pop-punk.  I also liked older music, specifically Chicago back then.

I would say that the band that really got me into music was Catch 22.  Heard them in 9th grade or so and it was everything I was liking at the time combined.  I thought it was some weird jazz-punk hybred music at the time and I really dug it.  From there, I discovered more 1st wave acts like The Slackers and Hepcat, although I didn't like them at first it grew on me and came to be the style I now prefer.  It also opened the doors to real punk too.

One question I have for the people that say they went through a "ska phase", why did it stop?  Ska was the music I fell in love with, and although my taste has definately grown to be more eclectic since, ska has been the one genre that will always be most passionate about.