What albums/bands got you into music?

Incubus was the first band I bought everything by; Morning View was first. Eventually I bought Places by Dashboard either because of MTV or rolling stone, but I didn't like it. There was this girl I liked that listened to total crap, but had a guy friend with good taste that told her about Dashboard. Then she broke up with me, so I started listening to it. Then I bought CDs with pictures of girls on the cover like SoCo and HRC.

First band I ever liked was Oingo Boingo, I remember being really little, like 4-5 years old and always putting that tape in my moms car.

The first piece of music I ever bought with my own money was Pearl Jam's "Ten" on cassette tape. I still love both of those albums to this day.

In like 6th-7th grade I started getting into punk music. My friend let me borrow The Vandals "Sweatin To the Oldies" and NOFX "I Heard They Suck Live" which were cool to start with cause I got to check out stuff from different albums from those bands.

Guns N Roses, Appetite for Destruction was the first cassette I got my hands on at a very young age. My uncle would give me their music and my parents would take it away from me due to the obvious foul language that most parents dont want their kids to hear. That's my all time favorite album and from there, I fell in love with music. Today, I listen to all kinds of stuff.

Sugar Ray "Floored" on Cassette in 1997 is the first album I remember buying. Before that I listened to the radio and whatever my parents liked. I guess around 1999 I got my first CD player, because I got The Slim Shady LP and Dr. Dre 2001 and the first NOW CD and Robbie Williams "The Ego Has Landed". Then by 2000 I was using Napster and I downloaded anything that came up when I typed Punk. And in 2002 I saw my first concert and it has been all downhill from there.

When I was like eight, I played Linkin Park's Hydro Theory and Meteora nonstop. After growing up a good bit, really the stuff that got me into music were Nirvana's Nevermind, From Autumn to Ashes' The Fiction We Live, Underoath's They're Only Chasing Safety, and Story of the Year's Page Avenue. Yes, this was in like 2004.

i think saves the day and the get up kids were the first bands to really send me in my current direction. at the same time, i was big into dashboard, nfg, and yes, even good charlotte. but with saves the day and get up kids (even juliana theory i suppose), i knew there was a much more legitimate sound at hand.

then i thank jesse lacey and kevin devine for opening me up to a lot more, too. my love of artists such as built to spill, modest mouse, neil young, miniature tigers, neutral milk hotel, dead confederate, archers of loaf, colour revolt, etc.. these are all directly attributed to these two guys. either through songs they've covered or bands that they've toured with.

My first album owned was Dookie. I was 10. After that I swiped my sisters Sex Pistols cd, Rancid - Let's Go and Rage Against The Machine-ST and I was hooked.

Before that though my mom used to play Hank Williams Jr, Garth Brooks, Reba, Alan Jackson, Vince Gill all the time and I would say that really turned me on to how great music could be and made me search out music to buy myself.

Built to Spill's Perfect From Now On changed my life from the second I first heard it on. Nothing to me can ever compare to it. I would still be listening to the Beatles and wondering why music is so mundane if it wasn't for that.

Niandra LaDes by Frusciante also changed my tastes for good. Before that album, technical proficiency at instruments and a pretty singing voice actually meant something to me. Funnny because John Frusciante is a prodigy.