TD Bank question

adammuzzy

Here's my situation. It's my girlfriends payroll check. She doesn't have a bank account but we usually just go to the local supermarket and they would cash it for a dollar, but she lost her ID a few weeks ago. So for the past 3 weeks I had my friend put it in her bank of america account and there the funds were available immediately. But said friend is in Boston for her break but I have another friend with a TD Bank account that would try it but isn't sure if it would work the same way.

I agree that you should ask the bank in question regarding the specific account.  I think most accounts are different and some put a hold on a portion of the check until the end of the business day and don't make all of the funds available immediately.

Also, she should sign up for a free checking account with any of the major banks.  Not a terrible thing to have for herself.

yeah, i find it weird that bank of america will make the whole check available, even if it's not a payroll. i used to have an account with them, and i put in my buddies christmas check for him for 50 bucks, that was a personal check from his mom and i was able to take that 50 out right away (totally got fucked over when the check bounced and i lost the 50 and got a 14 dollar fee). both me and my girl used to have bank of america accounts, and we both no longer do for the same reason, because they'll let you take out cash no matter what your balance is, and i couldn't avoid that temptation...so my account ended up at a negative ~430 bucks, and i didn't pay that back, let it go to collections, which i have since paid off but that was stupid. so now i have an account with a local bank, that i love, and they don't let me take money i don't have.

we got her check cashed today at liquor store in springfield, that didn't even ask for an ID, which I was totally surprised they did that.

we're going to go tomorrow to get a replacement license, but we have to go to the rmv because they won't let her do it online, because she'll need a new picture. thing is, she has no birth certificate, social security card, or anything like that. think they'll be able to just look up her old license picture, see that it is infact her, and let her get a new one? i god damn hope so!

Chase recently made me choose between having the charge go through and being hit with a fee, or having the card declined. If I made a deposit before the end of the day, I wouldn't get charged the fee. I chose the decline one. I actually have it to where my savings covers overdrafts, but there's a fee for that too. I get alerts on my phone, and if I transfer the money myself, no fee. I still hate Chase though. I respect your local bank decision.

yeah, i find it weird that bank of america will make the whole check available, even if it's not a payroll. i used to have an account with them, and i put in my buddies christmas check for him for 50 bucks, that was a personal check from his mom and i was able to take that 50 out right away (totally got fucked over when the check bounced and i lost the 50 and got a 14 dollar fee). both me and my girl used to have bank of america accounts, and we both no longer do for the same reason, because they'll let you take out cash no matter what your balance is, and i couldn't avoid that temptation...so my account ended up at a negative ~430 bucks, and i didn't pay that back, let it go to collections, which i have since paid off but that was stupid. so now i have an account with a local bank, that i love, and they don't let me take money i don't have.

we got her check cashed today at liquor store in springfield, that didn't even ask for an ID, which I was totally surprised they did that.

we're going to go tomorrow to get a replacement license, but we have to go to the rmv because they won't let her do it online, because she'll need a new picture. thing is, she has no birth certificate, social security card, or anything like that. think they'll be able to just look up her old license picture, see that it is infact her, and let her get a new one? i god damn hope so!

she's probably going to need some other form of ID... She doesn't have even a school ID or something?

I'm surprised by a lot that I'm hearing. The credit union I worked in was very lax, and yet they wouldn't go for a lot of this. I've heard from a workmate that worked for BOA that they'll give you at least 500 from any check, and possibly more depending on your account standing and the type of check. I wouldn't swear by her, but it sounds like that would fit in here.

I'd definitely check with the teller as opposed to an atm before you deposited it. Unnecessary fees suck.

Not having a bank account seems absolutely bonkers to me. I had no idea this was a common thing.

just not really necessary for her. we cash her check and everything we buy is cash.

i have a bank account for the few times a year we need to buy something online...

we actually got her license duplicate at the rmv today and they wouldn't take cash there, thought that was ridiculous...