Pub Trivia

Any players? I'm not talking about those crappy NTN video games some of the bars have. The one I do is called Quizzo Detroit. It has a dj over a loudspeaker asking questions. You and a team of usually 2 to 6 write down the answers to the questions on a sheet of paper for each round then hand them in. No phones or internet. Takes about 2 hours. Winner gets a $25 gift card to the bar (prizes vary by location). So just for example, this was how last night went:

-- Famous "Seans" (The one we couldn't get was the name of the Sean who plays Ray Finkle in Ace Ventura) -- 5 questions

-- "zero dark 30" (every answer has one of those words in it) -- 5 questions

-- Famous Faces (10 pictures of celebrities, you have to name them. The only one we missed was Lorraine Bracco from the Sopranos. She got pretty heavy and didn't look the same) -- 10 of them

-- "These things take time" (For example, The Panama Canal opened 30 years after America took control of the land. What decade did it open?) -- 5 questions

-- "They Did It First" (For example, Boeheim just got 900 wins, who did it first) -- 5 questions

-- Match movies that were top at box office with the year they came out. Pretty easy -- 10 of them

-- Individual numeric question. "How many pages are in "War and Peace"? The answer is around 1200. Everyone in the bar gets a guess. Closest person wins. We missed.

-- African Inventors (Yeah...African...not African-American. The pool cleaner came from South Africa. Egyptians invented the first condoms. etc...) 5 questions

-- Audio Round (Play a song associated with a movie and a little bit about it, name the song. This was the easiest round I've ever had. Like "what 2006 Scorsece film is associated with this Dropkick Murphy's song") -- 5 questions

Anyone else play a similar game? Anything your cities does that is cool? Anyone from Detroit want info?

For a couple years, I went to bar trivia here in the city. It broke down like this: Teams consist of 2-6 people, each team pays $5. Winner gets the biggest amount, second place gets a little less. Last place gets their money back, why, "because they shouldn't have been playing in the first place" (according to the host).

There were five rounds of trivia, usually consisting of one niche categories (ex. famous historical sites in Louisiana), music, movies, history and hodge podge. We would write down the answers on a sheet they provided and turn them in each round. There was a scorer who kept track of everything. The money was awarded like that.

Then the bar always had a bunch of free stuff and while the scores were being calculated at the end, the host would do 'Scream Out' where he would ask questions and you know scream out the answers for prizes.

Man, I miss going. Having a child puts a damper on fun.

Sounds pretty similar to mine. Prizes aren't built on how many people show up, though. They are consistent every week.

You can do mine as a league. You go to a different bar every night, there are playoffs. But there are some teams that just dominate every bar they go to. They either bring a ton of people or are just really good at trivia. Maybe they were quizbowlers in school. I think I'm a pretty smart guy (almost have my phd in engineering) but I've never used my post-high school education once to contribute to a trivia question. History majors can clean up with theirs, though. English majors too (literature questions). Always great to have a girl on the team for pop culture / celebrities. I'm diverging.

I just do once a week now. The bar is down the street from me, and for some reason, the mega teams don't show up there, so we place every week and win a good portion of the time.

I stand by the trivia a buddy and I doing last year as the best trivia that has ever existed on earth.  Lots of questions pertaining to Kevin Smith films, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, 90s pop music, and horror movies.  

That's cool but you gotta mix it up too. We get questions about Shakespeare mixed in with the questions about Buffy. Definitely more on the "everyday pop culture trivia" side than the "jeopardy trivia" side, but unless those questions went REALLY deep into Kevin Smith films, I wouldn't be challenged.

My friends and I are all mid-20s but the bar also draws people who are over 50 to play. There aren't a TON of people that come, usually maybe 5 teams consisting of 20 or so people. So if it was too catered to the stuff we are into, it would be too easy, we would win every time, the other teams would stop coming, and the game would die.

Used to go to trivia nights all the time in college...went once last year...maybe it's time to start up again!

At one point I fell into the habit of going to trivia night 3-5 times a week. It was right around when I turned 21. Never had a problem with alcohol. Was just what me and my friends liked to do at night after work.

We got really burned out on that after about half a year. Didn't play for a while. Now I just do one night a week at a bar that is literally a 3 minute walk from my house. It's the right balance.

Anyone got any decent questions they remember off hand? This one stumped us two weeks ago -- 5 Men have the best actor award twice since 1974. Name any 3 of them. We got 1.

And yes, everyone knows how to use google. Be honest.

Does this board not have spoiler buttons? Can't find one.

Got 2 out of the 5 before I googled it

Where in MI are you? Our wrong guesses were Deniro (won for Raging Bull, nominated but didn't win for Cape Fear, The Deer Hunter, Taxi Driver, and Awakenings) and Marlon Brando (won twice, but On the Waterfront was in the 50s, before the cutoff date. Godfather was other one, just missing the cutoff date. So that was a bad guess).

Where in MI are you? Our wrong guesses were Deniro (won for Raging Bull, nominated but didn't win for Cape Fear, The Deer Hunter, Taxi Driver, and Awakenings) and Marlon Brando (won twice, but On the Waterfront was in the 50s, before the cutoff date. Godfather was other one, just missing the cutoff date. So that was a bad guess).

Mt Clemens area. Wrong guesses Colin Firth, Anthony Hopkins, and Deniro.

What bar do you usually play at? The only bar around here that I know has Quizzo is an awfully annoying place

Home bar is Pat O'Briens in Saint Clair Shores. It's a 2 minute walk from my house. I've played at a bunch in Saint Clair Shores, Grosse Pointe, Warren, Mount Clemens, and other places on the north-east side of Detroit.

When you say quizzo, you mean this? Cause there are multiple companies.

http://www.quizzodetroit.com/

Home bar is Pat O'Briens in Saint Clair Shores. It's a 2 minute walk from my house. I've played at a bunch in Saint Clair Shores, Grosse Pointe, Warren, Mount Clemens, and other places on the north-east side of Detroit.

When you say quizzo, you mean this? Cause there are multiple companies.

http://www.quizzodetroit.com/

I actually have no idea what company is running the show, I just know that the Dooleys on Hall road advertises it. I used to read about all the bars hosting quizes in Real Detroit but haven't picked up one of those in a couple years.

The first time I read your post I missed the Mount Clemens part cause I still don't see quotes right and it blended in with my post.

I know what you mean about Dooley's. I haven't been to that specific one but I've been to the Gratiot one. Usually not that bad on weeknights, just a regular sports bar. But Friday and Saturday is white trash club night. That is also not the specific "brand" of quizzo I like. The guy that runs Quizzo Detroit is a friend and one of the funniest people I have ever met in person.

Check out that site I posted. Madison's on Tuesday might be a good option (echoing the comments about Dooley's...different place and a different crowd on a Tuesday than on Saturday). Engine House is a good bar on Wednesday. Shield's Pizza in Troy on Saturday is a little far but it's a fun time. Haven't done it in a while but they have something like a pitcher of beer and a 4 piece square pizza for $10. I've definitely killed that by myself before and felt like shit after. I only do these bars once in a while.

If you bring some friends to Pat O'briens, you can compete against me and my high school friends. We usually have 4-6 people so we could take a person or two if you didn't bring a full team. They frown on having teams approaching 10 or more but there is no hard limit. Point is to get people in the bar.

Think that's all I could say about it. It's pretty fun and addicting. Pat Obriens is an irish bar so my buddies and I have been banking all the gift cards we will until Saint Patrick's Day. Should have $200 or so dollars to get wrecked with.

Ha. Our tiebreakers are usually numeric questions -- "How long in inches is the Brooklyn Bridge?" Each team gets a guess, closest wins. It's a good balance between generic trivia where the point is just to get wasted and stuff people take too seriously. Some people do play mine as a league and take it seriously, go to 4+ bars a week. Assuming they wouldn't like a tiebreaker like that.

They do give out free beers for random stuff -- first person to bring up 69 cents, first person to hand me a snowball, first person to touch the ceiling of the bar, etc.

i have no problem with people taking it seriously, but when people take it too seriously it definitely puts a damper on the night.  for example, when a person brings up their iphone and argues with the dj/judge for 10 minutes.

i like the music rounds where they will play 10 seconds of a round.

i just remembered a bonus question.  "before you turn in your answer sheet, flip it over and draw a penis.  the nicest penis will receive 5 bonus points"

Trying to think of a few of the tougher questions from last night that we missed:

Name three of the "Seven Sister" mostly female east coast colleges (we got 2).

Who played "the Captain" on 6 episodes of How I Met Your Mother?

There was a round that really stumped us. It would be too hard for me to really remember the whole thing but it was 10 movies and you had to name the famous actor who debuted in that movie. There was a list to choose from but it was really tricky. A lot of the choices were actors who were in the movies, but it wasn't their first role. Got a couple but did bad overall.

But anyways, it's hard for me to recreate the question exactly cause I can't remember everything so I will phrase it this way -- Give the film debut (exclude tv movies) of each of these actors:

Eddie Murphy

Kevin Bacon

Kevin Kline

Cuba Gooding Jr.

Anna Paquin

Natalie Portman

Tatum Oneil

Matt Damon 

Seth Rogen

• 1 month later...

Missed two questions out of 60 last time I played. Best score me and my friends have ever put up. The two we missed:

Julia Roberts won an Emmy for Best Supporting Actress in which movie?

Which serial killer was nicknamed by the media as the "Night-stalker"?

Anyone got 'em? I can't figure out how to use spoilers.