I Need New Speakers!

Around 200 to 300 bucks. any good suggestions?

bookshelf or floor-standing?  I got a pair of Pioneer FS52's for $210 shipped from tigerdirect.com that I really like a lot.  Though, most in the audiophile world would flame me for that purchase, I do think they're over-achievers for those on a budget like you seem to have...

nice im deffinately interested amd this includes 2 floor speakers?

They're about $100 a piece on tigerdirect.com  When I ordered mine about a week and a half ago, it was free shipping.  With taxes 2 speakers cost about $210.  Do your research though, don't just rely on what one person has to say.  I looked at these and it's closest cost competitors for hours before deciding to pull the trigger.

bookshelf or floor-standing? I got a pair of Pioneer FS52's for $210 shipped from tigerdirect.com that I really like a lot. Though, most in the audiophile world would flame me for that purchase, I do think they're over-achievers for those on a budget like you seem to have...

That's not true. I think most "audiophile" types would would say they are the only floorstanders to buy if your budget is $200.

That's not true. I think most "audiophile" types would would say they are the only floorstanders to buy if your budget is $200.

Its just depends how far you want to go with the hobby and how much expendable money youve got lying around. Im someone who appreciates those who have nice gear but personally isnt going to go nuts to acquire the very high-end stuff when it results in sacrificing more of my continually-growing music collection, at least at this point in my life. These Pioneers are more than good enough for what I need to take away from my music listening experience. I enjoy their sound very much.

For someone who is on a budget and doesn't want to sacrifice buying records along with upgrading their gear at the same time, I couldn't recommend these more.

i think i may go with pioneer unless someone can mention something better in my price range. i live on my own and am independent so disposable income isnt a ton. but do want to upgrade.

You could try audiogon and see if someone is posting a heavy deal on some nice used bookshelves for around $300? If not, I honestly dont know of too much else that's gonna give you more than those Pioneers will at your budget. At least from the research Ive done, though I wasnt in the market for bookshelves so maybe theres something you can find there.

thanks ! i may shoot him an offer or just up my price range a bit

Just remember speaker isolation is very important if you're putting a pair of bookshelves on the same surface as your TT. I bought some 4"x6"x9" Yoga Blocks for my Pioneers,really helped out the volume at which I can play my vinyl. Also may want to look into DIYing a TT isolation sandbox as well. If you are able to, keep those bookshelves away from your TT.

Its just depends how far you want to go with the hobby and how much expendable money youve got lying around. Im someone who appreciates those who have nice gear but personally isnt going to go nuts to acquire the very high-end stuff when it results in sacrificing more of my continually-growing music collection, at least at this point in my life. These Pioneers are more than good enough for what I need to take away from my music listening experience. I enjoy their sound very much.

For someone who is on a budget and doesn't want to sacrifice buying records along with upgrading their gear at the same time, I couldn't recommend these more.

I think you missed my point, or I wasn't clear. I don't think too many, if any, audiophiles would say it's a bad choice to buy the Pioneers if you want new floorstanding speakers and all you have is a $200 budget.

Depends how badly you "need" them.

With that budget though, secondhand is the way to go.

Or if you've got the patience... wait around for something free, like side-of-the-road pickups... I've picked up vintage monitor speakers in excellent working condition (though you should expect a few scratches on the cabinets)

Wound up having to trade them for a record I desperately wanted.

Any suggestions for Goodwill floor standers?  I see them all the time, most likely part of someone's budget rack set up from the late 80's early 90's.  Is there a brand to look for/avoid?

If you see some good ones just take note of the model and info and go look it up on google. at some point audiokarma.org has probably talked about them and you can always ask there about particular models too.