Help me choose a new turntable?

if all you need is a TT and not a preamp i say the carbon as well. if you are going to need a preamp though, i say go with the essential and pro-ject also makes a nice budget preamp. 

Is there any actual sound difference between the two or is one just an upgraded model with a pre-amp?

Is there any actual sound difference between the two or is one just an upgraded model with a pre-amp?

the carbon, as most would say, does sound better due to the cartridge being a bit better. but unless you have an insane setup, its not THAT noticeable. as far as i know, neither come with a built in preamp. unless your receiver has a phono input youll need one.

the carbon, as most would say, does sound better due to the cartridge being a bit better.  but unless you have an insane setup, its not THAT noticeable.  as far as i know, neither come with a built in preamp. unless your receiver has a phono input youll need one.

It's not just in the cartridge, most of what I've read leads me to believe it's not even a substantial upgrade from the 5E to the 10 or to the red cartridge.  What makes a bigger difference is the carbon fiber tone arm, which increases stiffness and decreases unwanted resonance.  But as you said, how noticeable it is will depend on the rest of the set up.  Neither TTs have a built-in pre amp.

To the OP:  If you're not in a huge hurry and don't mind, try to hit up craigslist for a good deal on something used.  I used to have a similar DJ table to yours and wanted to upgrade.  I waited it out til I found a guy selling a Pro-Ject P1.2 (an early debut model) in good condition for $150.  A great entry-level turntable for me that didn't break the bank.

Are you wanting more than one?

1314029819767.png

I'd still pay the extra to get the Rega P3, after all you're going to be stuck with it for years, the extra cash for a quieter and better motor and a a weightier platter. After going with my P3, I'd not be able to go back to a Pro-ject budget deck.

Looks like they're running on ebay for $700-$900, man that's gonna make me bankrupt but it looks (and sounds) like it's worth every penny