Phono Pre Amp help

I just picked up a Bang & Olufsen BeoMaster 4500 only to discover it doesn't have a phono pre amp.  This is the first amp I've owned without one, and I really don't know what I'm looking for when shopping for one.  Although I'd love a "budget" solution, I'd be willing to spend a bit more if it would really complement my set-up and improve sound quality.  What I would like to avoid, though, is overspending on something that outpaces the rest of my gear or saving a few bucks but ending up with my new weakest link.

My set-up:

B&O BeoMaster 4500

Pro-Ject RPM 1.3

Ortefon 2M Red

Klipsch KP 101's

B&O RL 60's

I really appreciate any advice you guys can give.

From Slinch's HiFi thread:

Phono preamp:

<$50

(Not really recommended, unless you're going for an ultra-budget setup)

Behringer PP400 ($24)

Art DJPre II ($50)

TCC TC-750LC ($50)

<$150

Bellari VP-29 ($76)

Pro-Ject Phono Box MM ($100)

Cambridge Audio Azur 551P ($140)

Pro-Ject Phono Box DC ($150)

<$300

Parasound Zphono ($200)

Musical Fidelity V-LPS II ($200)

Bellari VP130 ($230)

Cambridge Audio Azur 651P ($230)

Pro-Ject Phono Box DS ($350) - slightly over the budget, but I have to mention it because of it's versatility in cartridge pairing

<$500

Bottlehead Seduction ($380) - needs assembling

Creek OBH-18 ($395)

Clearaudio Nano ($400)

Lehmann Audio Black Cube Statement ($400)

Rega Fono ($400)

Vincent Audio PHO-8 ($400)

Bellari VP530 ($400) - built in headphone amplifier

Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 ($410)

Soundsmith MMP4 ($410)

Pro-Ject Tube Box S ($450)

Edwards Audio MM1 ($450)

Graham Slee Gram Amp 3 ($475) - MC carts only

Someon had a Cambidge azur 640 for sale in the FS section. I'd get that it was only $150, good price.

Look at the Soundsmith offerings.  Fantastic sounding Phono's which I heard at the SHOW in Newport.

Gram Slee phono's sound fantastic as well.

Another one to consider is the Musical Surroundings Phonomena which I really enjoyed in my setup.  

You have a pretty decent turntable and cartridge.  This tells me that you definitely believe in the format enough to invest in it.  If you REALLY want an outstanding phono that will probably never be a bottleneck, I would look at the Ray Samuels Nighthawk F-117.  Whether you go MC or MM, it won't be your weakest link.  They do come up used for abut $500 to $550 but get snatched up quickly.

Octave, have you ordered yours yet?  For you, just buy it new.  You will get the latest revision AND you get 30 days to evaluate it...you can return it if it doesn't float your boat.  Looking at the equipment you bought, I bet you won't be able to send it back ;)

I'm selling my Cambridge Audio 640p, which sounds like it would pair great with your Pro-Ject/Ortofon combo, and provide you with the opportunity to upgrade to MC at any point in your future. And at $150 shipped, it's a hell of a deal.

Edit: Haha, didn't see that I was already repped under the audio thread quote. That's tight. But seriously, buy my preamp.

Thanks for the ideas so far.  I should have been specific when using terms like "budget" and the phrase "spend a bit more," since everyone's financial situation is different.  While I'm certainly invested in the format, I'm not necessarily looking to buy the last pre amp I'll ever need :)  For the time being, I think I'm looking more in the <$250 neighborhood.  

Swemoll, I'm doing a bit of research on the CA 640p now.  Sounds like a good bargain.  Quick/perhaps stupid question: Is it compatible with 240v?  I'm having trouble finding info on this.  I'm in Norway, so I would also need a European power supply. 

You'd need to replace the power supply. That, together with shipping from US, doesn't really make it the best option I'd say. Norway isn't part of EU, right? In that case it's definitely best if you buy something locally.

I don't know any second hand audio marketplaces in Norway, but I've bought from Denmark, not sure if you have have to pay import tax if you buy from there. If not, definitely check out the sale page of hifi4all.dk, prices are usually super low.

Everything I've read about phono pre's states to NEVER plug them into the phono inputs on your amp, and I think I understand why (running a preamp through another preamp?).  However, my new amp has a phono input but no phono stage, and it would be nice to have the PHONO source actually be my TT, instead of using a line input like AUX.  Is there any harm in using the phono input if there is no phono pre amp?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but the phono input on your amp IS the phono stage. You just plug the cables from your tt to the phono inputs and you're set. If you're not exactly sure how to do so check the pics here.

What amp are you using?

Edit: sorry about the dumb question, I just re-read the first post. You have a B&O unit, so everything mentioned does not apply :) The setting-up pics won't help you either.

The 4500 is in fact lacking the phono stage, but has an input named so. It's because at that time they started making lines of turntables with built-in phono preamps, because they believed it decreased the signal deterioration (shorter wire between cart and the phono stage).

So in your case, you will still need an external phono preamp and you can connect it to any of the inputs on your Beomaster, including the one named "phono", because they are all the same.

Hope that clears it up a bit, and sorry if you read my post before I edited it, because in that case I caused you nothing but just more confusion  :wacko:

So I demoed the Cambridge 551 and 651 at my local shop today.  Both blew the NAD p2 out of the water, but other than that I didn't notice a significant difference between the two.  Maybe the 651 sounded a little cleaner, but that could just have easily been because I was expecting it to outperform the 551.  So now I'm not sure which I should get.  The price difference is pretty big between the two (about $100), and while I can't see dabbling in MC carts in the near future, I'd like to get something that will hold a bit of resale value.  

What to do?

From a thread on AK

"No. The 651 has a different topology than the 551 and actually performs better by all reports.

The 651 has passive RIAA equalization which is better than the active eq of the 551.

I'm pretty sure you can find specs to compare the two. But they are not similar in build or performance. Go for the 651p."

As for the 551 vs 651, a quick in-store demo might not be the best way to actually determine the price/performance winner. I've often found two components very similar at a first glance, then after a while, the differences became more and more apparent.

To best determine the advantages and drawbacks of any piece, you have to live with it for a while. Buy the 651, Use it daily for two or three weeks, then go into the store and ask them if they'd be willing to let you demo the 551 in your system. Then you won't believe how much bigger the gap between them is.