California Trips

this is what my wife and I did a couple years ago when we did a cali road trip, might have been the most memoriable vacation we've taken yet:

days 1 and 2 - flew into san diego, drove around a bit and went to the beach both days to walk.  dnot remember exact places we went, but went to two bars for game 1 and 2 of the stanley cup finals (pens v red wings), both were full of red wings fans, lost both games.  went to the san diego zoo one day, absolutely fantastic, we still have a photo on our fridge from one of the photo booths. 

day 3 - drove out to the anza-borrego desert state park, walkedhiked around, it was fucking amazing.  so dry, so hot.  so glad we got a jeep type car from the rental place

day 4 - drove up the coast thru LA on highway 1/101 for the entire day, stopped at a couple places along the way to just marvel at the beauty, stayed in Morrow Bay for the night at some random hotel we found in town.  hung out around the state park, ordered pizza to our hotel room, passed out.

day 5 - continued on our drive up the coast on highway 1 and were going to camp out at big basin redwoods forest, but when we got there they had actually closed down the cabins we were going to rent due to something that I forget.  so we hiked around the forest a bit, marveled at the enormous trees, and then got back in the jeep/car thing and drove the rest of the way thru the park.  ive never gotten car sick before, let alone car sick as the driver, but that was the worst stretch of driving ive ever done in my life, and i've driven quiet a bit all over.  drove hwy 236 to hwy 9, stopped at a bar in Saratoga to watch game 3 of the cup finals at a san jose sharks bar, watched the pens win and got free jagar shots because of it.  since we were staying in a cabin that night we didnt have a hotel, so we had to find one last minute near the airport in san jose. 

day 6 - drove up to san francisco, stayed on the 101 I think the entire time, got to our hotel in san fran and then did the touristy stuff, alcatraz, the pier, the haight (SO disapointing, my wife was really let down) bunch of things around the city, walked miles and miles, it ruled. 

day 7 - more of the same, walking around, driving around, sight-seeing, yaddayadda, went to a pittsburgh bar knockoff for game 5 of the cup finals, got drunk with a gay couple watching the game with them, it ruled, had a couple buckets of beer, lots of great talks/watch the pens lose to the red wings in game 5, but kind of forgot most of the game.  almost had our jeep/car towed, but was able to stop it by stepping on the towlift before it went under the tires... amazing time. 

day 8 - drove across the golden gate bridge to Muir Woods, spent the entire day hiking around the forest. 

day 9 - flew home, from san fran to memphis?? to pittsburgh.  when we transfered in memphis game 6 was about start, our pilot was going to keep us updated on what happened.  as we were about 20 minutes from landing he informed us the game was tied 1-1 at the end of the 2nd I think.  when we landed we ran down the terminal to the TGIF in the Pittsburgh airport to watch the rest of the 3rd period, roughly 10 minutes, with about 20 - 30 other people.  the best part was that the TV was on, but the entire restraunt was closed and the chain gate was down, so we were literally watching the game through a chain wall.  pens won game 6, forcing game 7.

two days later I had a show booked in Erie with Bayside.  I called a few friends and was able to get someone to bring a TV to the venue with rabbit ears.  turns out, this was also the first day that all TV broadcasts were going to require the digital box, so we had to scramble to find someone who had one.  so with the show going on in the venue, I sat at the door, surrounded by my friends and a big pile of money, as we watched the pens beat the red wings in game 7.  One of the greatest days/two week periods of my life ever.