It's a sesquicentennial y'all!

Best thread ever. The sad thing is the fact the state gave four times as much money to the greenbrier golf tournament as they did to the 150th state birthday. But hey Ronnie Milsap is headlining the festivities, so yea...

Yeah, a buddy of mine is a chef at the Greenbrier, and he told me the same thing (with the same opinions of said events, ha).

I was thinking they were going to try to get Brad Paisley, but then i realized, 1) the state wasn't gonna pony up Paisley prices, and 2) i doubt he ever plays ANYTHING in WV anymore, unless it's in Morgantown.

oh and a p.s. that Robert Byrd record rules! good ole Fiddlin' Bobby Byrd. A lot of it was actually recorded at Senator Byrd's office in the capital.

just to share how shitty living near charleston is:

The main venue for shows, the clay center, announced this lineup recently.

The Beach Boys

Diana Ross

Dennis DeYoung

The Doobie Brothers

and some Celtic Women thing.

Cheapest ticket is like 40 plus fees, and that was for the Celtic Women.

Paisley, actually played the greenbrier tourny either last year or the year before. And fun Paisley fact, my old man used to meet with his old man at a bar around wheeling when they both worked for Highways, he said everybody used to make fun of Brad's dad for trying to get his son a spot to play, being underage at the time. and telling him brad would never make it out of Wheeling. My dad told me that when Brad got signed and started to blow up that Brads dad went and bought a fully loaded pickup, and would drive back by the old bar with his middle finger up to all those dudes who made fun of him and his boy. Thats the main reason i like Brad Paisley.

just to share how shitty living near charleston is:

The main venue for shows, the clay center, announced this lineup recently.

The Beach Boys

Diana Ross

Dennis DeYoung

The Doobie Brothers

and some Celtic Women thing.

Cheapest ticket is like 40 plus fees, and that was for the Celtic Women.

Paisley, actually played the greenbrier tourny either last year or the year before. And fun Paisley fact, my old man used to meet with his old man at a bar around wheeling when they both worked for Highways, he said everybody used to make fun of Brad's dad for trying to get his son a spot to play, being underage at the time. and telling him brad would never make it out of Wheeling. My dad told me that when Brad got signed and started to blow up that Brads dad went and bought a fully loaded pickup, and would drive back by the old bar with his middle finger up to all those dudes who made fun of him and his boy. Thats the main reason i like Brad Paisley.

haha yeah that list blows, but i DO have friends who will be at that Doobie Bros. show. They always go with their Dad to the point where now, it's almost mandatory to see the doobs haha. 

It also seems like most people into music from Charleston end up in Shepherdstown, Morgantown, or Huntington.

And that story about Paisley's dad? Simply awesome, haha

Wow, now I feel like a total poseur—I had no idea Social Distortion ripped that cover off:

Somewhere+Between+Heaven+and+Hell+social

yeah man, Hasil has been more influential than a lot of people know about. 

The Cramps basically worshipped that dude, and he was a huge influence for the Flat Duo Jets, who were basically the mold that The White Stripes put themselves in to. 

Regardless of any of that though, he's awesome