Xbox Live Connection Issue

So long story short, I was gifted a brand new xbox 360 as a moving away gift and with madden coming out next week I'm trying to set up Live, but I'm having a lot of issues.  I tried reading the live forums, but had no luck following some of the peoples advice, (i'm bad with with internet connection stuff)

so, my problem

i am able to connect to my secured network via the 360, then the internet connects as well, but when it tests the live connection i get a message saying an upgrade is required and if i decline i can't connect to live.  i attempt to connect and get a can't dl update connection, status code 3cd6-0000-0080-0300-8007-0570

any help?

if this is the first time connecting to the internet, which from what I gather, it is, then you can go here: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/system-updates/system-updates-info?icid=furl_update#f7fffd14e6e2431d9a47a5deadfe1f11

follow those instructions and update, then you should be able to connect. If I am understanding your problem correctly, that would be the solution.

well i connected with a xbox rep and they told me it was an issue that would need to be repaired by them and is under warranty.  this weekend, i am trying it at a friends house first.

also, the routers in the roommates room, since it was most central in the apt.  i'll check in the am what kind it is.