The design thread

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a fun email I got this week that I think you would all get a kick out of.  Freelance shirt job for a crossfit gym in Arkansas:

1. This is a crossfit tshirt. 

2. I've attached an example of what he wants. He likes the barbell with the text above and below it with bullet holes in the "O"

3. you are welcome to take this design into your own hands and just make it look really cool. 

This is what he said: 

Yes this one. With the "o" bullet holes. And here is a list of random stuff you could use if you wanted. 

Glock
Desert eagle
Bullets
Bullet holes
Arkansas flag
Grenades
Ar-15
Sweet knives

This is the image I was given as reference:

17va4i.jpg

jesus christ.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm a part of this really neat website called DesignersMX where "designers mix finely-curated playlists with music that moves and cover art that’s beautifully designed." - My first playlist with them is currently up on the front page, and you should give it a listen if you're looking for something new for your ears. This one is a great sad man mix, haha.  Also, you should all get on this! https://designers.mx/mixes/doubt-4

10672263_10154683426810526_4558176640635

• 3 weeks later...

Man, reading through this thread is so inspiring, really gets the creative juices flowing. Everything looks so wonderful.

I'd hardly even consider myself an amateur graphic designer, since I rely on paint.NET, the copy of PS Elements 10 that came with my Intuos tablet, free fonts, and pictures I took myself, but I still enjoy making really simple things in my spare time. I'd love to learn how to actually create stuff rather than just slap text onto a picture, I just don't know where to start.

The only thing I've made that actually got used was a flyer for a concert I helped organize in one of my music business classes last year. The logos were sent to me as-is, so I couldn't really do much to make them look better, but I was still pretty happy with the final product. We also gave a copy to a local artist and she painted it into a huge banner, which was really cool.

1461119_10202621458316950_1605695446_n.j

I think you'll find that there isn't really a "right place to start". You just need to do, which usually means emulating stuff you like until you find your style. Slapping text on a picture is creating stuff, shit man, that is 75% of every print campaign out there. You've got a decent typographic hierarchy going on there, which is more than half the battle. 

If you want to talk more about design or anything feel free to PM me. I looooove talking about that stuff and doing critiques. My favorite part of my job is working with juniors and refining stuff. Also, if you don't know how to use channels to make a mask we should Skype sometime. It is a handy trick to isolate logos when you get a pile like those dumped on you. 

I’m in a weird spot right now. Got this job doing catalogs for the wholesale company. Good money, potential to make great money once I’ve been here for a while and shown that I consistently make less errors than the woman before me, and am putting out a better looking catalog. I decided not to ask for my raise until I can prove these things.

the rub is, I’m not being challenged creativly at all. Not in the slightest bit. I really enjoy this job, it’s easy, kind of fun. I’ve enjoyed improving and updating the look they had from the previous graphic designer. good health insurance and bennis, I make my own hours. it’s been good. I’m just worried about long term. Do i stay because it’s easy and the money is good? or do I look for something different so I can continue to grow as a designer? I’ve tossed around the idea of doing some freelance work. I just don’t know when to find the time. My life outside of work has been really fulfilling and self indulgent and I don’t want to lose that as selfish as it sounds.

I’m just concerned... if me and jimmy decide to move one day, and I’ve just been doing catalog work for the past 10 years, I’m going to be out of the loop and very rusty.

I’m in a weird spot right now. Got this job doing catalogs for the wholesale company. Good money, potential to make great money once I’ve been here for a while and shown that I consistently make less errors than the woman before me, and am putting out a better looking catalog. I decided not to ask for my raise until I can prove these things.

the rub is, I’m not being challenged creativly at all. Not in the slightest bit. I really enjoy this job, it’s easy, kind of fun. I’ve enjoyed improving and updating the look they had from the previous graphic designer. good health insurance and bennis, I make my own hours. it’s been good. I’m just worried about long term. Do i stay because it’s easy and the money is good? or do I look for something different so I can continue to grow as a designer? I’ve tossed around the idea of doing some freelance work. I just don’t know when to find the time. My life outside of work has been really fulfilling and self indulgent and I don’t want to lose that as selfish as it sounds.

I’m just concerned... if me and jimmy decide to move one day, and I’ve just been doing catalog work for the past 10 years, I’m going to be out of the loop and very rusty.

Just sticking my non designing nose in here to ask: have you thought of freelancing? I would rot away here if I didnt have my photography business to keep my going creatively.

Yeah all the time. But thoughout all the bullshit there are customers who will pay for superior work. It just might take some time to find those people and have them find you.

I'm still here second shooting for people with no artistic background, let alone photo background. They make a living out of what I have a degree it and I work for them. Its shitty but I get to do what i like to do and not worry about the post production. Even tho I end up taking my best shots for other photogs and they overcook the shit out of them on photoshop =[