The design thread

Alex,

Do you have any other non-layout work that you could put in there. My general feedback is if I ever saw this I'd only consider hiring you for something VERY specific. Which might work for you if that is the only type of work you want to do, just throwing that out there. 

On a somewhat related note, I think I'd prefer to see more dynamic crops of the thumbnails. There is no mystery or tension in this presentation, I don't really feel the need to enlarge anything, which is probably a preferred viewing method. I guess overall I'm wanting a little more variety in the presentation. My brain getting pretty fatigued trying to absorb all that visible content right away. Does that make sense? Those are my general comments.

The work itself is real sharp man, you're all good there!

Alex,

Do you have any other non-layout work that you could put in there. My general feedback is if I ever saw this I'd only consider hiring you for something VERY specific. Which might work for you if that is the only type of work you want to do, just throwing that out there. 

On a somewhat related note, I think I'd prefer to see more dynamic crops of the thumbnails. There is no mystery or tension in this presentation, I don't really feel the need to enlarge anything, which is probably a preferred viewing method. I guess overall I'm wanting a little more variety in the presentation. My brain getting pretty fatigued trying to absorb all that visible content right away. Does that make sense? Those are my general comments.

The work itself is real sharp man, you're all good there!

thanks dude, really appreciate that feedback! i feel the same way, unfortunately layout is what i do and i know it hinders me for now but now i've got this website done, i definitely have more motivation to do more stuff outside work to build up the other areas of my work.

Are the thumbnails just being dynamically created from your larger uploads or can you upload them individually? I guess that is what is going on given the way it is displaying. Is the Squarespace template you picked just real limited in functionality!

Glad you are feeling motivated. That is the hardest damn part. 

I’ve been updating my resume and cover letter. and thinking about my portfolio and building a website for myself. It all feels daunting.When I finally have one I might post it here.

Question: What would be the etiquette for listing my current Art Director as one of my references. I’m obviously going to be searching for a new job before I leave this one. I’ve talked this over with a few people and the consensus was to tell him that I was simply updating my resume and not say anything else. But what if he gets a call out of the blue? That would reflect badly on me.

Also, everyone is extremely, uncomfortably close here. I know my Art Director would see past the updating my resume excuse. My co-workers here ask me constantly when jimmy is going to move here or if I’m moving there. I can’t just keep acting like I don’t know or lying.

Hard to say without a little more knowledge of the office dynamic but I'd say I disagree with the consensus opinion. 

My ideal scenario is to let my superiors know I am leaving, let them know it is for another job in another state for personal reasons. In other words, the company hasn't done anything wrong. I'd give notice when I started my job hunt in earnest so I wouldn't have to be sneaky about traveling for interviews or phone calls. That would also allow you to use current peers and superiors as references. The downside is you run the risk of being replaced before you land that new gig. You'll have to evaluate how big of a risk that scenario is for you. 

If you absolutely insist on giving notice once you've landed that new gig I wouldn't use anyone at my current company, at least anyone that didn't know I was searching, as a reference. Someone calling your Art Director for a reference when he doesn't know you are looking around has multiple negative scenarios. 

Are the thumbnails just being dynamically created from your larger uploads or can you upload them individually? I guess that is what is going on given the way it is displaying. Is the Squarespace template you picked just real limited in functionality!

The thumbnails are dynamically created, i can upload them individually but it wouldn't have the tile effect unfortunately - i'd have to put them in a different page style -  and i don't know the first thing about web design so unfortunately creating something from scratch is out of the question. Squarespace seems pretty decent for my needs now but i do take on board what you're saying about the thumbnails, it's not totally perfect - it actually really annoys me that i can't add captions or descriptions to my various piece of work which is particularly annoying when it comes to my 'other work' as i can't specify that some of it was spec work for job applications i missed out on, however i'm going to go with a different format for these to make it possible. I'm just about to enter a snowboard design contest so hopefully that'll give me a nice piece to showcase in the next couple of months.

• 3 weeks later...

okay so the past few weeks i’ve noticed few people from a large (and growing like crazy) company here in town looking at my linked in profile. today a recruiter from there sent me this. subject is “career opportunity at ******** Inc."

it seems like a generic email that he may have sent to a lot of people.

is this normal? I don’t know what to reply. I mean yes I’m definitely looking to advance my career and make more $$. but I also JUST started a job search in Columbus ohio. i don’t know what to do

Hi Madie,

I came across your profile while I was doing a search on LinkedIn. It looks like your experiences and skills are a great match for the Graphic Designer position within our creative department!

Here is a little more about our expanding creative team at ******** Companies:

Our creative team is an in-house agency that works on all types of communications for Fortune 500 clients. We are a talented staff of technical and creative writers, editors, communications managers, graphic designers, production artists and design directors and are looking to add great people with your specific skills to help us enhance our client relationships and grow our business.

If you are interested, or know someone who may be interested in pursuing this opportunity, please contact me.

I wrote him back, can't hurt right.

yeah I need a better profile picture on there. it's not dick goggles but it's still not very good. I feel like I want to delete all my posts from here incase someone googles me, never should've used my very unique real first name haha

• 1 month later...