The design thread

I'd love to do something but I have zero time right now, just got hit with a deadline that was 2 weeks earlier than originally stated. I'm actually at work right now. If you can wait until after thanksgiving lebowski I could toss some ideas around.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Bumping an old thread for some opinions. This is probably a ridiculous question, but I figure this would be a good place to ask around for advice on getting started.

So, I've always been into graphic design, but my experience with Photoshop is limited and my experience with Illustrator, InDesign, etc. is nonexistent. I want to learn how to use these programs and eventually get good enough to start doing freelance work. The only way I figure I'd be able to learn how to use them is to subscribe to Adobe CC so that I can have hands-on practice, but $50 a month is pretty steep for someone making $800 a month on average.

I guess my question is: should I bite the bullet, even though I'm a literal beginner and don't have that much cash on hand? Or would it be smarter for me to just start with one app like Illustrator for $20 a month so that it's not quite as painful on my bank account, then build my way up to CC or something similar as I get better at it? If not Adobe, are there any alternatives that I just don't know about?

Unless you are doing a lot of multi-page layout you don't really need InDesign. Photoshop and Illustrator are pretty much a package deal for design work, they both play separate roles. You could learn them individually before you pay for the package deal if you prefer, or you could look into buying outdated versions for cheap. The basics haven't really changed that much over the years.

Or you could do what just about everyone I know did, which is to steal them and use paid versions once you actually start generating revenue. For what it is worth, I'd start will Illustrator and learn how to work with type and the pen tool. If you want to chat about design just PM me. 

So I've been casually putting in proposals on upwork (elance/odesk) and have gotten two jobs so far but only because I bid far under what I'm worth. They've both been easy jobs (designing Pinterest clickbait and save the date designs) but I'm just trying to build up some positive reviews before I start charging more. I'm getting a little discouraged because for every person like me, there's hundreds of foreign dudes willing to work for pennies. Freelance is a tough, tough thing to get into...

And at my day job I've somehow been thrust into the position of product designer so now I'm designing lines of home decorations... I only took one packaging design class in college and now I'm designing candles, lamps, wall hanging shit and ect. It's been an interesting ride!

• 3 weeks later...

i'm feeling creatively drained/exhausted.  if things keep at the pace they are right now, i'm on track to have done 500 different freelance projects in 2015.  my brain feels like it's going to explode - any advice on how to decompress?

follow my design ventures on instagram, just started that up the other day - @fleshandbonedesign

any advice on how to decompress?

yes. step away from the computer for a week or two. youre going to burn out hard. hard burn out take longer to return to. space your projects out, do projects you want to...not cash cows that are dull with shit clients.

do every other project, not every single one.

but seriously, turn off your machine and go run around.

yes. step away from the computer for a week or two. youre going to burn out hard. hard burn out take longer to return to. space your projects out, do projects you want to...not cash cows that are dull with shit clients.

do every other project, not every single one.

but seriously, turn off your machine and go run around.

i definitely need some run around time in the woods or something, haha.  been trying to space things out better, get out in nature, give the eyes and brain a break, ahhh!

i'm feeling creatively drained/exhausted.  if things keep at the pace they are right now, i'm on track to have done 500 different freelance projects in 2015.  my brain feels like it's going to explode - any advice on how to decompress?

Charge more, do less? If you can't charge more, figure out what needs to change to up your rate?

Your current set-up doesn't feel sustainable. It also means your rich or not making much per project from you current client base. In my experience, low-paying clients beget low-paying clients. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love your stuff Brian. Very impressive.

I'm so burned out at my 9-5 that the last thing I want to do is get home and design more. I have so many personal projects on the back burner too, but getting the motivation to do those has seemed impossible.