The design thread

• 1 month later...

Bit of a bump but hey, it's been quite a while. Have some designs I've done the past month or so starting with a b/w shirt design I've been working on that I changed up a bit to use as a background for the new windows tablet I just got!

iMRWQ7c.png

Zhzrnwf.jpg

Finally got around to doing some merch design for myself including an obvious Cowboy Bebop themed shirt because I'm a huge nerd. I'm guessing Brian and Charlie have probably already seen these on facebook but yeah.

d2JCBAN.png

5sjnoWB.png

roS4cSx.png

Also, I got a 13HD Cintiq during my last months and months long forum absence and wow dang?????? I never really got the hype and was more than content with using my Intuos4 but the Cintiq is just so nice. PS, if you think mandalas are neat, get Clip Studio Paint. The symmetry ruler in it is my new favorite thing ever.

you got these on a shirt?

Not like this particular picture nah, when I finish it it's just gonna be black and white. I just made this darker version so it wouldn't blind me as my tablet wallpaper haha. I am considering doing a full shirt print of a darker version via society6, printalloverme or whatever but I'm still weighing options on that.

In regards to making brushes, I'm away from home at a friend's so I cant offer screenshots but the basic process for making a brush preset (in photoshop) is to have your brush design as refined (or not I guess depending on what you're going for) as possible and desaturate it if need be, it should be black and white before you define the preset (ctrl+shift+u is the shortcut to desaturate a layer). If you need to adjust the black and white levels, hit ctrl+L and adjust as you see fit. Once you're happy with it you just go to Edit > Define Brush Preset, name and save and you're done. The process for the stippling brush I made goes a little further into brush settings for adjusting spread and jitter so it looks more naturally random but I can show that when I get back home to my computer.

I'll throw up some .abrs of various brushes I've made including that stippling one when I get home too. I've done a lot of watercolor paint splatter stuff for texturing (think Jake Bannon's stuff) that are pretty fun to use.

Looking through this thread, completely amazed at the talent that's just hiding away on the 'net these days! You all are incredibly inspiring!

I've done marketing and graphic design for the past 5 years working with a college radio station, and while that was definitely a great creative outlet, now that I've moved on it's been hard getting back into practice.

Have a couple of commission pieces this month, though, so we'll see how those turn out! :)

Also as promised, some of the watercolor brushes I've made along with some various grunge and texture brushes I've found in the past few years I use a lot. Can't for the life of me remember where I found them but I didn't make them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e01q3ufzst9t3o8/edgedestroyswatercolor.abr?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4r7b3zi9aw7w0o2/assortedgrungeandcracks.abr?dl=0

examples of things I've used some of these brushes in

http://aftrmthart.com/post/42141704329/alternate-visceral-versions

http://aftrmthart.com/post/42489053101/threw-together-a-quick-piece-to-celebrate-dead

it's also handy to do photography logo watermarks as a brush for easy placement rather than a template where it's stationary.

thisssss, the various watermarks I use are all brushes. some are based on the style of traditional Japanese seals so it just makes sense to have it as a brush preset I can just stamp in my work. 

tYXg2a7.png

crop of a shirt design I'm working on right now for a personal project with the logo seal I designed and just made a preset for.

Sorry for suddenly blowing up this thread so much, guess I had a lot of creative energy to come storming back into VC with lol.

9f3noDt.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p052e8p0zqfds05/edge%20destroys%20dry%20brush%20set.abr?dl=0

KRGcUtc.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrt01789hxw6qnw/edgedestroys%20pack%209.abr?dl=0

95 new photoshop brushes I spent most of the day working on. I threw them up on deviant art because I'm too lazy to set up a creativemarket or gumroad account but DA's buying system is stupid and I was just gonna give them to you guys for free anyway so have at it. xoxo

good stuff man. thanks.

any new tunes lately?

New ASE is 3/4 done, not sure when I'll finish it but hopefully in the next few months. Just finished a full length metalcore album that I started for kicks. That's about it I think. Definitely need to wrap the new ASE up though, it's been a work in progress since summer 2014 haha.

• 3 months later...

Bumping this thread because I'm wondering if any graphic designers/aspiring graphic designers would be interested in helping me put together a quick album cover for some music I'm working on (I'm thinking 60-90 minutes worth of work, just for something quick).  I will definitely pay. PM me if interested and we can hash out more details.