Power needed for a Small Room

Figo

Hello,

I'm planning to set-up a new Hi-Fi system on a small room due to non-expected Gift from my brother (Pro-Ject debut Carbon TT + Pro-Ject Phono Box MM)

The room I'm going to use is a 125-130 sq.ft. and I would like to know your thoughts about what receiver & speakers to use, Basically what I would like to know is How much Power (50W, 200W, 400W, 700W, 1500W, 1,000,000W, etc. you got the idea!!) does the receiver needs to fill the room with a Rich & Loud Sound (without going deaf) for this amount of area, and what kind of speakers can I use for the recommended receiver (they can be either Book Shelf or Floor Standing).

I know that everybody will say "as much as you can affort" but I don't see the need to have a massive system it I'm only going to be using 50% of its capacity.

Since I enjoy to listen all kind of music (Jazz, Electronic, Metal, Indie, Classical) I think that I'll definetly need balanced bass, mids & trebles.

I´m planning also to update the Pre-Amp with a Pro-Ject Tube Box S unless that the receiver has already better Phono Amp (which I doubt).

I really appreciate your assistance!!!!

Figo

A friend of mine is selling me an "almost new" Pioneer VSX-523K very cheap, would you consider this receiver as a good one?

Or what other recommendations you can make?

In the beginning I was thinking on a Yamaha AS300 or AS500 but due to my friend is selling all his audio equipment the Pioneer seems to be a good option for $100 unless that somebody tell me "Don't do it". But I'm open to hear any recommendation.

What about the Speakers?

Don't do it.

To fill a room with quality sound it's less important how powerful an amp is and more important of what quality that power is. First of all, avoid receivers. Look for integrated amps in your desired price range and search around this subforum for recommendations. That A-S500 for example is a solid buy.

As for speakers, the Epos Epic 2 for $400 at musicdirect are still a best buy: http://www.musicdirect.com/p-57507-epos-epic-2-bookshelf-speakers-pr.aspx

More than enough for your room, and they sing wonderfully.

Check this thread for basic info and recommendations: http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/88504-beginner%E2%80%99s-guide-to-hi%E2%80%93fi/

I am on the fence between the Epos Epic 2 and the Wharfdale Diamond 10.1 speakers. I know that the Epos are hugely discounted on the above link, but that doesn't necessarily mean they sound better. Anyone try out both? Keep in mind I am using a Marantz 2245 and Project Carbon in a relatively small room like the OP.

Between the two, I'd go for the Epics. Though I have much more experience with the Diamonds, the Epics are at least a class better. I might be hesitant to advise them at full retail price, as the difference isn't necessarily worth more than doubling the budget, but at 50% off they're a no-brainer. Keep in mind that it's a bigger speaker as well, the Diamond 10.1 do lack the low end in slightly bigger rooms.

And to everyone buying bookshelf speakers, get some proper speaker stands. I see that the stands often don't make the cut, either due to budget running out or because of lack of space. I strongly advise to make the space. Without proper placement, there isn't really that much difference between a $300 and a $1000 speaker pair.

after looking at stand prices, I am wondering if I wouldn't be better off just spending the extra $300 for Epic 5s

Well yes and no. First off, you should be able to find a good pair of speaker stands for around $150. I'll do a quick search and try to look some up. 2nd, the price gap between 2s and 5s is much smaller due to the heavy discount and might make the argument of "stepping up" more sensible. And c), The most important factor for deciding between the "size" of the speaker in the same model line should be the size of the room. Putting a small speaker in a large room is just as senseless as putting a large one in a small room.

p.s. Sorry for the off topic, but I swear that the kind of inconsistent listing numbering I used there was used as a joke in a movie or somewhere, but for the life of me I cannot remember where I saw it.

A budget/price range would have been helpful.  Those are two solid components you are starting out with.

The perfectionist in me says get a Mcintosh MA6700, but something tells me that would be out of your price range.

You certainly dont need to worry about "too much power", I know people that put 200wpc setups in rooms that size. 

I would say go with something that has 80-125 wpc (real watts, not home theater watts) and that will allow you to get whatever speakers you want.  You certainly couldn't go wrong with the Yamaha A-S500.

Maybe a vintage amp would be nice as well?  I'm in the process of replacing my A-S500 in my setup with a Sansui Au-D9 which has presented a marked improvement in warmth and soundstage.  Pretty much any of the old 70s integrated amplifiers from Sansui, Pioneer, Yamaha will do you right and deliver way above their price point, that is, if you get them recapped by a technician.

Speakers are much more personal.  Get an amp, take it around to stores and demo speakers.  Any store serious about audio should allow you to do this.  Again, you can get a lot of bang per buck if you go vintage, but you really have to hunt for it.

For your room sounds like it would be the perfect size for some celestion ditton 44s, but good luck finding those locally...

I know that everybody will say "as much as you can affort" but I don't see the need to have a massive system it I'm only going to be using 50% of its capacity.

You drive two cars at 100mph. One is a hyundai accent and the other is a audi r8, which feels better? The same theory can be applied to audio equipment. Do you want to use something maxing out at full power or do you want something cruising along at not even half power?