Vintage Turntable Thread

Nice

My dad has a Tube Zenith that is like new.

That will definitely do a better job than your old one, and nice job on the polishing, I have quite a few here you can do if you fancy it.

Looks pretty but there is a downside, you have to keep doing it now and don't touch it with your fingers you can watch the prints 33 revs a minute when you play an LP

Yeah, I knew that going in. It's really not that big of a deal. I don't touch the outer platter unless I'm spinning it around for a cart alignment. Most Thorens enthusiasts seal the platter with a simple car wax, which delays oxidization, or one could spray it with a simple low-sheen aerosol sealant for a permanent solution.

That will definitely do a better job than your old one, and nice job on the polishing, I have quite a few here you can do if fancy it.

Thanks! I don't think I want to go through that process again though haha

It was worth it though because it looks a hell of a lot better. I have to be careful with the hinge areas though because they are a bitt cracked and I don't want them to fall off.

• 1 month later...

So I recently got my fathers Technics SL-B210 (I hope it's vintage) and was wondering what I should look out for when I want to buy a new cartridge. I'm still using the original one, but I noticed that the records sound a bit muffled and higher tones distorted sometimes.
I guess I can't use every cartridge, since it's a T4P turntable which was also 'precisely adjusted by the factory'. 

As you can tell I'm still pretty new to vinyl and also pretty broke at the moment which means I can't afford a good new turntable right now, so any help on this is highly appreciated. I just want a small sound improvement.

Thanks in advance!

So I recently got my fathers Technics SL-B210 (I hope it's vintage) and was wondering what I should look out for when I want to buy a new cartridge. I'm still using the original one, but I noticed that the records sound a bit muffled and higher tones distorted sometimes.

I guess I can't use every cartridge, since it's a T4P turntable which was also 'precisely adjusted by the factory'. 

As you can tell I'm still pretty new to vinyl and also pretty broke at the moment which means I can't afford a good new turntable right now, so any help on this is highly appreciated. I just want a small sound improvement.

Thanks in advance!

Audiotechnica still do a cheap T4P cartridge, can't remember the part number so perhaps someone can chime in with it but if you search T4P on ebay I'm sure it will come up.

I picked up a vintage ELAC Miracord 50H from craiglist last year for $50. Been very pleased with it so far, although I did have to lubricate the moving parts under the platter and idler drive to get it to move between 33/45/78. Its been steady since then

I just love the look of the tonearm too:

tumblr_m4r8p8fg7v1qlozjxo1_400.jpg

• 2 years later...

I'm currently rocking a B&O Beogram 1700. Got it for a pretty decent price and it has a very decent MMC20S cartridge on (I like the 1.5g tracking force in particular). It's a sleek TT and the automatic arm (once I'd adjusted the drop properly) is nice.

Sadly with the replacement cartridge and stylus being ridiculous, I will end up changing it in the coming year or so. I'm a fan on vintage gear (also currently using Beomax S50 speakers).