Ethically grown and traded coffee

rtw88

Can anyone shed some light for me on some resources that will help me pick out a brand that is relatively ethical in its production? I've been buying fair trade for awhile but the more research I do, the more it seems corporations are pocketing the money by capitalizing on ideals.

I realize the majority of imports are probably made at the expense of people in third world countries but since I drink coffee every day it seems like something I could educate myself on to make a small difference.

Not trying to dissuade you, but just ask a question you might want to think about -- how much of the premium for fair trade coffee actually makes it to farmer's hands after the wholesaler takes a cut, the distributor, the manufacturer, the retailer, etc... and would you be better off just donating x dollars directly to a fund for say, schools in Columbia?

Not saying that is the answer and its not exactly the same thing. One goes directly to an individual for a service and the other goes to a general fund. Just something I've thought about.

Not trying to dissuade you, but just ask a question you might want to think about -- how much of the premium for fair trade coffee actually makes it to farmer's hands after the wholesaler takes a cut, the distributor, the manufacturer, the retailer, etc... and would you be better off just donating x dollars directly to a fund for say, schools in Columbia?

Not saying that is the answer and its not exactly the same thing. One goes directly to an individual for a service and the other goes to a general fund. Just something I've thought about.

I agree with this

I've never thought about it like this, but it makes a lot of sense.