PO: Tar "1988-1995" 2xLP - PREORDER

burntwolf

http://www.chunklet.com/store/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=112

/150 gold

black

Features:

• CHUNKLET exclusive: 150 copies available on gold vinyl

• Mailorder copies include Tar matches and vintage Tar ticket stubs from the band's archive

• Contains every non-12” vinyl release by Tar, including all singles, compilation tracks, unreleased, and a 1992 Peel Session, and covers of songs by Pere Ubu (“Non-Alignment Pact”), Jawbox (“Static”), AC/DC (“Hell’s Bells”), and Dobie Gray/Bryan Ferry (“The In Crowd”)

• Cut direct to lacquer by Bob Weston at CMS

• Download code (MP3 or FLAC) included

• 21-track double-LP housed in an expanded jacket, with liner notes from many of Tar’s comrades

• Bonus digital download features Want/Need, over two hours of live Tar recordings from the band’s archives, spanning every period in the band’s development.

• Aluminum guitars sound best

“… architecturally loud songs, deceptively simple indictments with fine-tuned precision … a great surprise to anyone looking for a direction in rock music that builds upwards and inwards all at once.”

They should be pimping this along with the Steve Albini hype going along with the In Utero reissue. Not many people talk about this band anymore outside of Chicago I feel like.

Incidentally, I worked for Tom (the bassist)'s brother in high school and Tom got me in as an intern at Electrical Audio my sophomore year. Great experience and a solid dude. For my part, I absolutely loved the music these guys put out... but as soon as this dude starts singing I want to turn it off. Very much torn about whether or not to purchase...

I loved Tar and saw them so many times back when they were an active band that I lost count of how many times it was.

That aside, 30 bucks is just too rich for my blood, especially considering I have all these songs on other records already. 

Howdy dude. Long time, no see, etc.

Your information is semi-accurate...But 5 out of the 21 tracks have never been released. Plus you get 2.5 hours of live stuff as a free download, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Track listing, for the other dude:

1. Play to Win
2. Mel’s
3. Cracks in the Sidewalk (never released)
4. Long Arm (never released)
5. Antlers  
6. Flow Plow
7. Hand
(8-11 complete Peel Session 1992)
8. Viaduct Removal
9. Ballad of the Storyteller
10. Walking the King (never released)
11. Play to Win  (never released)
12. Compaction
13. Solution 8
14. Non-Alignment Pact
15. Deep Throw
16. Static  
17. Teetering
18. The In Crowd
19. Kebab (never released)
20. Feel This
21. Hell’s Bells

2+ hours live stuff as free download

-Mike

• 7 years later...

Chunklet put up a box set (it's new to me; I *think* it's new): https://chunklet.bandcamp.com/album/tar-box

Edition of 300, includes;
- Handsome - Coke Bottle green vinyl
- Roundhouse - Silver vinyl
- Jackson - Gold vinyl
- Bonus record - “Holding Fast, Hitting Long”. Incendiary live set recorded at Lounge Ax in March 28, 1992.  The band had just returned from multiple tours and was in top tour shape, tearing through a 55 minute set comprised entirely of songs from that era. This record includes a recreated flyer from the show and your very own copy of the set list. The live record is only available with the Box Set.