Rare Blues Single Sets New Sales Record For 78 RPM

Hell yeah! love this stuff! I know where I'm getting my calender next year

I'll have to go digging through my 78s...don't think I have any blues though...

Yeah, I have a small collection of 78s, they take up about 1 shelf. No blues though. I really live in what is probably the worst area in the world for 78s - all the communities here sprung up well after the the 78 was considered obsolete, so they rarely turn up and only one record store has any... Actually 2 now, that one recently dedicated a small section to them.

Most of my 78 purchases come from online, which for 78s, is a total nightmare when you're having something shipped, as I'm sure you can imagine.

Was once personally offered 3 Johnson 78's for 5000 each, which is really a steal. I wish I had that kind of spending money hahah. Someday!

I've also seen an RJ 78 listed as a Buy it now for a stupid low price that was gone before I could even refresh the page.

I've also seen RJ 78s sell for more than 12k, I remember watching one particular listing that crawled its way past 16k

I grab 78's if they're cool. I need to pick up a 78 cart.

I fgured some had gone for more that's why I prefaced it by saying popsike isn't that reliable.

Gotcha, read it kind of quickly at first so didn't really see that part till now haha.

A 78 cart, if you have a 78 speed table, is beyond essential!

I personally use and recommend the shure m78s. It's sub-$50 on amazon (or was when I got mine) tracks well and sounds pretty decent. It's also easy to mod to get stereo 78 output (weird huh) so you can sum for mono at your amp/preamp stage, or just select the left/right groove wall... Works WONDERS in reducing noise levels.

I might upgrade to a Grado or Stanton cart with many different styli in the future but this seems like something that would be more valuable to a hardcore 78-collector. That, I certainly am not. Haha. I just pick them up occasionally or seek out a song or two that I'm fond of. I find that all else being equal, a 78 of a song will usually sound miles better than a later reissue on LP/45, and most CD transfers of 78 material are really just fucked to begin with... The tonality is always wrong. You would think that they are always the scratchy poor sounding antiquated discs they're regularly portrayed as. Not so!

http://www.youtu.be/ uXe_c0fxFss

I made this video a long while ago. Most of my gear has definitely improved by this point, but you can get a general idea of how kick-ass this cart, and the format in general can be. I don't hesitate to say this is easily one of my best sounding records.

I have 5 Billie Holiday 78s that I found in my grandmother's attic once. that was One sweet find.

That does sound pretty sweet. It's cool to have a familial connection with the records as well - almost none of my records do, and certainly none going back so far into the 78 era. Bonus points for grandma if they were in good condition haha