Austin record store recommendations?

I'm going to be in Austin in a few weeks and plan on hitting some record stores.

So far End of an Ear is the only one on my list and I'd appreciate any recommendations.  I'm looking for a shop with a good selection of metal, a decent inside selection (not just Merge, 4AD, Sub Pop), a place that seems to always have a lot of worthwhile used stuff (think things that came out within the last 20-25 years) or even just a rad shop that's worth checking out even if I might not find anything.

I'll be saying in south central Austin, but I know I'll be spending time downtown and on the eastside as well.  My brother will be chaffering me around, I won't mind making him drive me to a store that's a little further away either!

Thanks in advance!

end of an ear is the best store in austin by far.

yep. this. You may also want to try Encore records. They've recently reopened on red river street (i believe). Encore and End of an Ear have, by FAR, the best metal selection in Austin. Waterloo is probably 3rd. 

depending on when you're going, the Austin Record Convention may be in town. it's October 25-27th admission is $25 on Friday (covers all 3 days) or $5 for Saturday and Sunday. over 1 million LPs, 45s, cds, and cassettes. it's a GREAT show and there are a couple of vendors there that specialize in metal.

I went to a bunch when I was in Austin last week (for the first time) for ACL

Friends of Sound is awesome but they have very little modern stuff

End of an Ear is good

Waterloo is good, some stuff overpriced but I found some gems underpriced as well. Actually the only spot I bought records at.

I hear to try some of the Half Priced Books like the one on N Lamar

End of an ear is my regular stop, and friends of sound, particularly for old soul and jamaican music, they also have a decent amount of rare vinyl between the two, and a good selection of 7". I only visit Waterloo on RSD and RSD Black Friday, as they get the most goods out of any store. I'll usually wait in line at Waterloo, grab what I can, and then head over to End of an Ear to see what I can pick up, as they open an hour later.

Thanks for the recommendations!  Sounds like End of the Ear, Waterloo and Encore will be my three for sure stops.

depending on when you're going, the Austin Record Convention may be in town. it's October 25-27th admission is $25 on Friday (covers all 3 days) or $5 for Saturday and Sunday. over 1 million LPs, 45s, cds, and cassettes. it's a GREAT show and there are a couple of vendors there that specialize in metal.

I'll be there over that weekend actually (which turns out to be part of Austin Beer Week too).  I'm going to look into it more, but I think I should be able to make it one of the days.  Thanks for bringing this up, I don't think I would have discovered it on my own!

I'm going to parse through that list and see what else is close and looks good.  My brother says there are about 4 record shops pretty close to his apartment, so it won't be too hard for me to wander off and check a few of them out.

If you're here for the first weekend of Austin Beer week, I highly recommend the 512 Anniversary party. Get there well before noon. They have some fantastic beers you can only get at the party. Austin has some other great breweries. Hops and Grains has their taproom open on Friday afternoons for free sampling, or tours on Saturday afternoons in East Austin. You'll also want to get your hands on some Jester King brews, which are some of my favorite beers produced. Whip In (http://whipin.com/) is a great beer bar close to downtown that has a huge selection of local beers, and a great beer garden if you're staying in the area. Have a great time!

Thanks for bringing this up, I don't think I would have discovered it on my own!

I'm making the 8 hour trip from Arkansas just to attend this show. It'll be well worth your time to pop in on Saturday or Sunday.

Also that weekend, Phil Anselmo is hosting his Housecore Horror Film and Music festival in Austin. I don't know if you can get tickets to shows individually or not, but there will be TONS of metal in town that weekend. Wouldn't really surprise me if you caught some of those folks at Encore or the record show.

If you're here for the first weekend of Austin Beer week, I highly recommend the 512 Anniversary party. Get there well before noon. They have some fantastic beers you can only get at the party. Austin has some other great breweries. Hops and Grains has their taproom open on Friday afternoons for free sampling, or tours on Saturday afternoons in East Austin. You'll also want to get your hands on some Jester King brews, which are some of my favorite beers produced. Whip In (http://whipin.com/) is a great beer bar close to downtown that has a huge selection of local beers, and a great beer garden if you're staying in the area. Have a great time!

My brother has spoken very highly of Whip In and Jester King actually!  Red's Porch is doing a tapping of a Jester King cask beer that I'm hoping to try.  I'll look into the 512 party and the Hops & Grain taproom, thanks for the suggestions on that!  I just found out beer week coincides with my trip, so my brother and I are going to look through the calendar and see what looks best.  We're definitely going to the lecture at Bangers that Jody Hunt from Sierra Nevada is doing.