Help Desperately Needed

First time poster figuring this was the best place to go. Don't let me down, VC.

I have lots of vinyl and I enjoy listening to it. I'm no gear head nor am I all that savvy with the gear I have. A few weeks ago, I was playing a record when all of a sudden the sound decreased dramatically. The sound itself was clear, so I don't think my speakers blew. A work friend told me that the phono preamp on my turntable might have gone, so I purchased a preamp.

Upon hooking it up what I'm sure is the correct way (turntable plugged into preamp imput, RCA cable going from preamp output to AUX imput on my receiver, turntable switched to AUX on), the sound is still at 25% and now also sounds really distorted and shitty.

I am running a pretty standard Sony turntable, Pyle preamp, and Pioneer receiver. All used with nary a grounding wire in sight. Please help.

what model turntable?

have you tried switching to another input on your receiver?

It's a Sony PS-LX250H. There's a switch inside that says "Set the EQ amp on/off switch according to amplifier connection" -- should I switch it to on or off?

And I tried other imputs as well. Thank you for replying!

I would guess something on your turntable is hosed,  but you will have a better idea if you can do a bit of troubleshooting.

1)  find another RCA cable and try that first

2) If you have another source, you should try a few different inputs on the amp to ensure they all work.  (Cd player, Ipod, whatever)

3) try a verified working input on your amp with all the different combinations of switch on/off  and preamp connected/not connected.

That sony record player has the built in pre-amp as you already know.  I would suggest unplugging it from the Pyle pre-amp and flip the switch you're asking about to On, and plug it directly into your receiver.  If everything sounds right volume wise then nothing is probably wrong with the record player itself.  Then I would try plugging it back into the Pyle preamp, flip the TT switch to OFF, and plug the preamp back into the receiver.  If the sound goes back to the issue you had before then the issue seems like it would be with the Pyle pre-amp.

If it was all fine before you added the pyle preamp I expect the built in one in the turntable has died or as has been suggested above you have a short in the cartridge wiring.

The internal preamp needs to be switched off when using the pyle preamp. Switch the switch on the TT to off and try it with the pyle preamp again. If the volume is still low the problem is with the cart or wiring, if it's ok then it was the internal preamp and if it's all distorted the internal preamp is still on.