Turntable my be in process of taking the big shit...

Alright so I was listening to Foxing...everything was fine

Then I flipped the record

and it decided that it doesn't want to play anything at 33rpm anymore...it is stuck somewhere between 33 and 45 rpm and everyone sounds like chipmunks...

Is there any way to fix this manually or am I fucked...

It is an older system so I knew this was going to happen someday...

Help me out if you can....please...

Ok belt drive I think so probably a stretched belt, no biggie to fix and shouldn't be expensive.

there are many videos on you tube showing you how to change and check a belt for wear and for size.

You need to know the size to order a new one, there are loads on ebay but if you just search for one by model it will be more expensive than searching by size for the same thing.

Well, I have the Foxing LP - I was actually listening this morning - and I know it's 33 1/3 rpm.  To me it sounds like he was spinning it and side A was fine ... but after flipping it, Side B was fast.  Super Chipmunk-y!

Hey OP - is there any change in pitch?  Even though you're stuck between 33 and 45, does the platter spin at a constant speed, or is it all over the place??  Have you attempted to measure it with a strobe disc, or even an iphone app?

I was going to say that maybe it's a drifting capacitor or even an issue with the power source ... but then I googled a picture of this beauty and now my advice is to put that sucker to bed.  I mean, if you're bored, like to tinker and you have some knowledge of electronics, have at it.  Otherwise, start doing some research and look for a suitable replacement.  It doesn't sound like a belt issue to me, and I personally wouldn't waste much time on a turntable you'd pay a dollar for at a yard sale.  I'm sure you could find a suitable replacement for not much $$$ on Craigslist.

Just read the post properly and googled the TT myself, true enough bearchuck I saw the speed issue and assumed belt.

My mistake it doesn't sound like the belt, could be the contacts on the speed switch, could be a capacitor also looks like it's powered from the main unit so yes if it's anything more than just contact cleaner on the speed switch then it's only worth tinkering with for the fun rather than anything else.

It won't be the most complicated thing but it will probably be a bugger to get to bits without breaking something.

I fully endorse cracking open a shit turntable, just for funsies!  Seriously, if you've ever wondered how these things tick or how each component works as a cog in the machine, do a little research and mess around with the insides.  Of course, make sure your turntable is not plugged in!

I have very little knowledge of electronics or how to read a schematic, but I've learned enough over the past few years to be able to build my own pre-amps.  It's really not that complicated - especially things like cleaning the contacts on the speed switch or replacing a capacitor.

Thanks for the posts guys...so I looked at it again and I think it is the belt. When I took the belt off and went to put it back on it wouldn't fit around the spindle, like it had been stretched... so I think I am going to try shopping for that and go from there

It was a consistent change in the sound, so it wasn't all over the place

I had it on 33 and it sounded like it was on 45...

Im going to keep my fingers crossed that it is the belt...I actually got this player for free but I don't have the money to buy a new one at the moment, and I know when I eventually do get a new one...its going to be top notch...

I'm just glad I held off on ordering a new needle, just in case it isn't the belt...

alright thanks guys....I'm going to tinker with it because I really don't have money for a new one...hopefully I can fix it...

I found some little screw holes when I lifted up the plate that the record sits on, and it looks like I can adjust or tweak the speed with them...One hole has 33 under it and the other has 45 so I'm guessing that is what they are for...I don't have time tonight but hopefully this weekend I can get to it...I guess we'll just see what happens

OK if it has adjusters for speed then it's probably those that are dirty, I didn't think it would have them at least not as accessible.

If you adjust them and the speed doesn't change then the fault is probabaly elswhere but to set the speed you are going to need a strobe disc which you can download or one of the phone apps. worst case you can set it by ear for now.

If 45 is ok I would just do 33 for now but you can turn the adjusters stop to stop a couple of times before you start which might clean them but if not you will need some contact cleaner and if that doesn't work the adjuster (proper name potentiometer) is probably bad.

Play a song on your computer (that you also have on vinyl) and find an online metronome and measure the BPM of the song (adjust til the clicks line up with the beat of the song). Then keep the metronome on and spin the same song on vinyl, and keep adjusting til the speed matches the BPM of the metronome again.

Dear god ... why is everyone here so afraid of downloading a free strobe disc from Vinyl Engine?  You don't even need a special light for it to work.  Just print, cut, and slap it on your turntable's platter.

That's the one I use. your house lights and a print out of the strobe disc are all you need.

That's the one I use. your house lights and a print out of the strobe disc are all you need.

I'll try that out...thanks!

Dear god ... why is everyone here so afraid of downloading a free strobe disc from Vinyl Engine?  You don't even need a special light for it to work.  Just print, cut, and slap it on your turntable's platter.

I'm not afraid of it dude, I didn't know it existed...so thanks for the knowledge broski

Sorry ... that little tirade wasn't directed at anyone in particular.  It just seems like whenever there's an issue with turntable speed / pitch on this forum, everyone wants to suggest some convoluted, inaccurate 10-step process.

Strobe discs were made for turntables, and there are free ones out there that you can easily download and print out.  Keep it simple, guys!