Micro Seiki DD-40

I did a search and did not find a whole lot about this TT. I am finally ready to get something good now that my collection has grown extensively and I found a local in the area selling this TT in excellent condition. Comes with MA505 tonearm, dust cover, manuals, ect. 

Based on the few I have seen through EBAY and elsewhere, these go from anywhere from 400-1000 dollars. This one being on the very bottom end of that. 

I've always liked the vintage TT over the newer stuff, but spending this kind of money on something 30 years old makes me nervous when a new (on the entry level side I am guessing) costs about the same. 

Does this model, in excellent condition, seem like a good buy for $400? Is there anything I should be specifically looking for or concerned about outside of the things that will jump out at me?

I apologize if I missed any threads regarding this. I tried to leverage anything related to MS DD's and from what i could find, they were good performers. 

Thanks in advance for any additional advice.

YES!  RUN, do not walk to this deal.

The tonearm on that model is nearly worth that amount of money alone.

The DD-40 is one of the best tables from Seiki, a real audiophile table up there with thorens the fabled Technics SP-10.  Worlds above most vintage (or modern) tables.  You'd have to spend $1000+ to rival that kind of performance in a modern TT.

Proper Micro's are the dogs bollocks when it comes to Japanese audio and as JumpingBean says run, in fact borrow a very fast car and make sure you don't stop on any reds.

The DD40 is definitely a proper Micro and the MA505 is a gorgeous arm and the whole package is superb, it's only a pity we didn't get so many here in the UK

I'm always down for great vintage tables, and sometimes it's really worth spending a little extra to have something that's relatively rare and unique.  The Micro's are a tad overpriced, but that's only because they're so coveted and they have a great reputation. $400 really isn't that bad, especially if this particular model is in good condition and the owner has taken care of it over the years.

Which brings me to my next point: can you get any sense of what type of person the seller is?  Does he seem like someone who really knows turntables?  Has the table been serviced recently?  Will he let you give it a test run?  Do you have any local audiophile friends who might be able to help you out with the transaction?  These are just a few of the things that you should consider when buying a vintage turntable.  I love the bang-for-the-buck that vintage turntables can provide, but as you've noted, there are certainly things to consider when buying a piece of equipment that's over 30 years old.

Well I finally pulled the trigger and bought the DD-40 and super excited!

Everything is in great shape and the seller and I had a really good convo over the phone and in person about it. Felt 100% confident in what I was buying and am not looking back! I appreciate everyone's feedback and help with this!

Now, I am looking for a solid receiver to pair this up to. I'm aware of the reputable brands, but not sure what I really need to spend to be satisfied. I'm not looking to try a bunch of equipment until I am happy. I'll be totally satisfied just to have this bad boy playing.

Is there any reason not to check out a used music equipment store and pick up something around $100? Is that high/low? 

Again, appreciate any feedback. You guys have been super helpful. 

You've started with a high standard so IMHO 100 is way too low if you want an amp that will do that table justice.

IMO a vintage table merits a vintage receiver.  That Seiki probably would have gone with a Luxman receiver/amp back in the day.  Seiki designed a lot of turntables for that brand.  Sansui is also a good option.  A Sansui Au-717/719 would be a good choice.  The only downside is that vintage receivers need work by a tech to really shine in their former glory.

If you want a modern receiver/amp there are a billion threads here on that topic.  The Yamaha A-S500 and Marantz PM-6004 come to mind immediately.

It's best to get an amp first and then pair your speakers based on your amp.  Only your ears can ultimately decide what's right for you.

Congrats on the beautiful turntable.

PS:  If you want to go the vintage route, become an audiokarma subscriber.  That way you will have access to Bartertown, a classifieds section of the forum where you can score gear wayyyyy cheaper than ebay/etc from people who actually know about what they're selling.

Thanks for the detailed advice. I'm glad I asked the question before running out and making a mistake. I'll definitely take down some of the models you mentioned.

I did recently join that forum and double posted in there. For some reason, I thought it was you who called me out on it LOL...

Regardless, they have been extremely helpful as well, but I had no explored the other forum you mentioned. I will definitely look into that. Again..big thanks!

I did recently join that forum and double posted in there. For some reason, I thought it was you who called me out on it LOL...

Yup that was me.  VC is really good for keeping up with releases and some of the posters here know a lot about many of the modern equipment offerings.  But when it comes to vintage hi-fi, or insane high end stuff those guys over there are a huge wealth of knowledge.

You've started with a high standard so IMHO 100 is way too low if you want an amp that will do that table justice.

IMO a vintage table merits a vintage receiver.  That Seiki probably would have gone with a Luxman receiver/amp back in the day.  Seiki designed a lot of turntables for that brand.  Sansui is also a good option.  A Sansui Au-717/719 would be a good choice.  The only downside is that vintage receivers need work by a tech to really shine in their former glory.

If you want a modern receiver/amp there are a billion threads here on that topic.  The Yamaha A-S500 and Marantz PM-6004 come to mind immediately.

It's best to get an amp first and then pair your speakers based on your amp.  Only your ears can ultimately decide what's right for you.

Congrats on the beautiful turntable.

PS:  If you want to go the vintage route, become an audiokarma subscriber.  That way you will have access to Bartertown, a classifieds section of the forum where you can score gear wayyyyy cheaper than ebay/etc from people who actually know about what they're selling.

+1 on the above, what you have their is a superb front end to any system.

What cartridge has your Micro got in it? It's a stunning turntable so deserves a suitably good MC cartridge and phono stage. Mine had an Entre in it I think which was quite common with the ones that came here I understand and suited it quite well but the turntable itself can easily cope with better.

Luxman amplification is the obvious choice or Accuphase if going for in period.

or on another thought I run an all valve (tube) system and the Micro was very happy running into that so you could explore that avenue if it took your fancy.

Either way you can feel comfortable that you will have to spend a lot on the rest of the system to embarrass that turntable.

I've got a stanton 881s on there. If there is recommendations there, I'd be glad to try it. From what I've read, it's a good cartridge, but replacing the stylus down the road could be a problem.

I need to start looking at receivers after the holiday. I'm so strapped after buying the TT and Xmas gifts.

The 881s was the top or near the top of the line from Stanton with the s signifying the type of stylus, there are replacement stylus about and I don't think they are expensive.

The 881s was based on a Pickering XSV3000 and I understand the styli are interchangeable but the Pickering one is inferior

There is an article covering the 881s here

http://www.regonaudio.com/Stanton881AudioTechnicaATML70.html

All that said that cart is way below the sort of thing that arm and turntable was aimed at, It will get you going though so a new stylus would be a good purchase and you will know you can upgrade later.

The Stanton is a MM cart and your turntable is more than capable of running with some very exotic and expensive MC cartridges.