Discogs (again)

Need advice... International (Spain) buyer check out on a cheap item $15 wants me to send it surface...

Surface has no tracking... every sale I make thru discogs I get tracking because paypal tells you your not covered if you don't so here's my dilemma...

I can either cancel the order cause he won't pay for tracking, or I can charge his for surface and hope he doesn't try and make a claim...

Now surface mail takes about 6-8 weeks so basically the paypal refund window will close before he even gets it, my concern is that they might make a claim before the window closes and since I won't have tracking I'll say 'well its surface it takes up to 2 months' what will paypal say? They'll probably refund his $35 and I'll be out $20 and the record, right? just doesn't seem worth rolling the dice and I've heard Italy is really bad to shipto but I don't know about Spain.

My thoughts exactly... He won't pay for tracking it's like $65 vs. $20 I'm leaning towards cancelling just wanted to get a feel or see if maybe anyone had experience shipping to spain... also dude didn't really to any messages for like a week I was basically waiting for his few days to make payment to run out before cancelled due to non-paying buyer, and it kinda slipped my mind I never thought I'd heard back from the dude.

Sorry for shit spelling/grammar, typing fast here.

Guest deleted

Don't do it or else ask for payment as a gift.

Also, I'm not sure people realize, but it is not possible to constantly file claims and win... there is a limit an PayPal does look at past history.

I live in hungary. I always ask for cheapest shipping possible and never had a problem with it. Shipping for us outside of north america is a pain in the ass. So let the dude pay less, but also include that at his own risk. As for me id still risk the chance of losing the record than pay that 30+ bucks for shipping.

Ps a person that registered discogs is vinyl nerd enough to not screw over another fellow collector

Not even worth the time to pack the record I'm probably already losing money on... after discogs and paypal take their cut I'll be lucky to make 1 cent off it.

There is no gift option through discogs, I'm a seller and payment is automatic... the only way of doing that would be to ask him to send as a gift outside of discogs and I think it's a violation of their terms to lure buyers in a do that cause they operate by taking a percentage of sales.

I keep getting people with no feedback who do this even though it clearly states Int'l buyers please contact for shipping quote before checking out.

that's why i gave up with discogs as a seller. for every 1 good buyer i dealt with i had 4 international people who buy stuff even though i clearly stated i won't ship internationally. all with zero feedback to boot. became too much of a headache. even had 1 guy from canada not understand why i wouldnt sell to him when all my listings say "i won't ship internationally, only to the USA." his arguement was "it's still north america it's not international."

I keep getting people with no feedback who do this even though it clearly states Int'l buyers please contact for shipping quote before checking out.

And discogs won't help if he neg's you, even though your listing terms are clear. That's the one sucky thing about discogs.

I would not ship to Spain surface, no way, not even gifted.

Cancel and hope he/she goes away quietly.

I think they see an item they wants, sign up, checkout without considering shipping price... see total and are never to be heard from again. Man it sucks that tracking is so much more expensive for int'l buyers but I mean it's basically 3 tiers: $20 surface, $40 air, $65 tracked air.

you nailed it. the rates just suck. period. (Canada and US outgoing).

I said no ship to Italy, Russia, Asia and recently a guy from Malta (EU, not Italy per se, but an island in the Med near Italy) - I said only with tracking Priority Int'l, and it was $40 vs. $25 for a $30 record.  If you want to collect records living in Malta and get them from outside the EU, it's going be butthurt for shipping.  I know getting stuff from some EU countries has really given me the treatment, if I really HAVE to have them.

Yeah this is sketch, he also said the reason he took so long getting back to me was he couldn't access his email. And his shipping information says something about a Microsoft building in Spain so weird. Seems doubly odd that someone who works for Microsoft would lose access to their email. Weird.

Oh yeah and I also contacted and invoiced his within 7 minutes of checkout ... but he lost access. Yeah I hope this guy just goes away... if he negs me and I lost 100% perfect feedback I'll be pretty bummed if Discogs won't erase it... gah they really need to implement a feature where you can block buyers with 0 feedback or pick and choose which countries you ship to and block out others. It's cool that you can limit buyers to a certain feedback level but doesn't really help No feedback and those are always the delinquent buyers.