Should I buy a new player or get this one fixed?

Guest burnedfaceless

Guest burnedfaceless

About a year ago I bought some speakers and a box. 

Anyways my friend gave me a record player and I acquired my parent's record collection. Some of the sound has been amazing. I have a copy of the Royal Scam and side A is perfect. 

I'll cut to the chase. The past few days I have been hearing a fuzz every rotation. This occurs before the needle touches the record, even if its hovering above it. 

I can spend $30 to get it looked at. The model is a AL A151. I run it into a preamp and then into a line input on a box.

Is there any truth that the needle could damage the records? What should I do here. Here are some images, sound has been great since I bought the preamp the fuzz thing has been the past few days - needle is clean.

IMG_4385_zps2542306d.jpeg

IMG_8505_zpsb3e8a027.jpeg

IMG_0670_zpsfb0fbe17.jpeg

IMG_0499_zps10427cb2.jpg

Guest burnedfaceless

It's a preamp it's converts the phono signal to a line level input which my box takes.

IMG_0504_zps1a519a2d.jpg

What are the pros and cons of buying a new player or trying to get this one fixed? A new needle?

FWIW I had a Behringer preamp for some condenser mics (I'm a musician). Didn't like it, this one sounds great.

Guest burnedfaceless

Oh it's a yamaha dxvx 3272 or something.

It's has hdmi inputs for tv and cable apple tv. There are two audio inputs that accept a line level signal and the preamp converts it to a line level signal.

I'm leaning towards bringing this in tomorrow. The guy said he could work on it when I said JVC. Maybe a new needle and cartridge.

Everything I see online has usb stuff I don't need.

Guest burnedfaceless

It doesn't even seem to be having the problem right now. Really weird. It's hard to tell because I have it loud but even quieter parts you can't notice it. 

It's louder too. Again. Whatever it was.

Guest burnedfaceless

Can you tell me more about this table? If I had the wiring redone, and a new needle put in other mechanical stuff and it were cheap it could last a decade or more assuming. When was it made? I don't want one of those weird looking portable tables and I don't want something with USB and what not.

I decided to clarify a little more about the "box". When I said the "box" I was referring to the Behringer preamp. Here's some pictures of what my actual "box" is. It basically has - below line level and + above line level. I was using it for TV, movies, and apple tv for music. So I was always way below the 0 which is no preamp. I would have to crank it all the way up and the preamp on the box just didn't cut it. But ever since I've been able to put a line level signal in with the behringer I've had amazing sound.

Bose speakers I will swear by them. I didn't buy the 303s because I was strapped but the 201s sound amazing. I used to have Bose computer speakers. Everyone on the internet hates them but everyone who listens to my setup (at least guys who are into sound) say they sound good.

Anyways here's some pictures

IMG_0507_zpsb030a421.jpg

IMG_0506_zpseee6b34e.jpg

IMG_0505_zps71034ed0.jpg

I think Bose gets the hate because they are pricey. But they sound good. I was told they sound good by an audiophile and bought some computer speakers. Unfortunately I sold them.

Even price wise everyone at my school uses "Beats" by Dr. Dre which is him using his name to make headphones. Bose has high end headphones less or even. I would never buy high end head phones because I need to be able to talk if I get a call...

Anyways sorry for the rant. I've just learned if you buy Bose speakers they will sound good, and I've bought other brands that suck.

And I've played everything through them. I'm a music major and they will replicate Bach they will replicate the sound accurately. They will even play rap good. Very good speakers.

The vinyl has been amazing though. I'm going to start another thread on remixes. Hope to hear back about my turntable.

No one said that "Bose sucks". They make some really nice stuff. However, they have a huge marketing department that you are essentially paying for. So a lot of times you can buy cost comparable stuff to them that sounds better. If you like it, then awesome. You don't need to impress anyone but yourself. 

Bose does not have a magic trick that makes their speakers better than others. 

I am not saying that your system sounds bad but maybe your "audiophile" friends are just being polite. They are not going to give you an unbiased opinion.

If I had a friend that spent a lot of money on a Bose system and they wanted to reaffirm that they made a good choice by asking me of my opinion, I would think it would be pretty rude to be like "nah dawg, you got ripped off, that sounds like shit". 

Like I said. If you like it, then awesome. You don't need to impress anyone but yourself. Ignorance is bliss. I actually feel bad for some people who are more audiophile or whatever than me. They would probably also tell you that it is a slippery slope of constantly wanting to upgrade. I have met some people who are not actual audiophiles, but they like to impress people with expensive stuff and assume that more expensive is always better. 

To answer your initial question, I would probably save up to buy a new turntable. Or look into a a nicer older turntable for cheap. Trying to fix something that costs more than it's worth doesn't make too much sense to me.

I wouldnt pay the $30 to have it looked at - its already more than the table is worth. It sounds like an electrical problem to me and you'll probably be paying even more by the hour for some dude to hover over the pcb inside with a soldering iron or something.

If it doesnt overpower the music I'd say ignore it and wait till you can upgrade. You're already doing better than a good percentage of people here hahah.

Guest burnedfaceless

I took it in and the needle was bent.

My audiophile friends told me that before I bought them. Everyone else just says they sound good. A friend who works at Best Buy was blown away and tried to get me to buy the 303s on Craigslist for surround sound. I'm not big on surround sound right now. 

Bose is awesome. I've had a lot of speakers and haven't found anything that replicates the sound accurately.

My musician friends generally mention the speakers sound good. Because they do. 

The only time that didn't happen is playing records before I bought a phono preamp. 

Guest burnedfaceless

The guy was real straightforward and said it was a low end player but he evaluated it and said it was in good enough condition just replace the needle. 

Well worth the $30.

I think Bose gets the hate because they are pricey. But they sound good. I was told they sound good by an audiophile and bought some computer speakers. Unfortunately I sold them.

I would never buy high end head phones because I need to be able to talk if I get a call...

And I've played everything through them. I'm a music major and they will replicate Bach they will replicate the sound accurately. They will even play rap good. Very good speakers.

A friend who works at Best Buy was blown away and tried to get me to buy the 303s on Craigslist for surround sound. I'm not big on surround sound right now.

Bose is awesome. I've had a lot of speakers and haven't found anything that replicates the sound accurately.

All of these had me literally cracking up... In case you aren't joking and those posts are serious, then I apologize if this came off as asshole-ish, but you definitely have a lot to learn.

All of these had me literally cracking up... In case you aren't joking and those posts are serious, then I apologize if this came off as asshole-ish, but you definitely have a lot to learn.

What he said,

Once you've heard some proper Hi-Fi you'll understand why Bose isn't considered to be exactly high fidelity, but what you have is a start and everyone has to start somewhere.

As long as you're enjoying your music that's all that matters really, the road to Hi-Fi Nirvana is a never ending, expensive, addictive, lifelong one, the downside being you either have the young ears, or the money to exploit it but rarely both.

Guest burnedfaceless

Name some speakers. I wasn't trying to be an asshole but you bring Bose up and you instantly are a douche, kind of like bringing up Ayn Rand or Apple, Inc. 

Record player is back sounds good.

I had such a bad experience with a Revolver album I wasted $20 on. I use this for vintage records. It's hit and miss with ebay. I bought a copy of the Royal Scam that has a few more pops than mine, but it would beat the hell out of a vinyl sourced from digital. 

I'm cool with my vintage record player, even if it's low grade. I'm not buying any digitally sourced records again so it does the job.

Guest burnedfaceless

The thing about Bose is their products consistently produce a high quality accurate reproduction of the sound. You know that when you buy a Bose product. 

edit: What I've found is analog to digital is OK. If the market was there they would do an analog mix and vinyl pressings but it's just easier to use the digital remaster and overcharge for a niche market. 

But a good vinyl album, good produced and well cared for sounds very good.

Wow.

Name some speakers.

Well, that's kind of a broad request. Since we're talking about Bose, how about speaker manufacturers that make infinitely better products and start with the letter B:

Backes & Muller

Bowers & Wilkins

Bang & Olufsen

Beveridge Audio

Black Forest

Blumenhofer Acoustics

Brentworth

Brodmann Acoustics

Burmester

Bunzow

Bosendorfer

you bring Bose up and you instantly are a douche

Nope, the person that brings up Bose is instantly perceived as unknowledgeable.

The thing about Bose is their products consistently produce a high quality accurate reproduction of the sound. You know that when you buy a Bose product.

Actually, the thing about their products is most of them are pretty bad, mediocre at best. What you do know when you buy a Bose product is that you've spent twice or three times the money you would spend buying something better from a different brand. Overpaying is guaranteed.

I'm cool with my vintage record player, even if it's low grade. I'm not buying any digitally sourced records again so it does the job.

So... analog sourced records are immune to improvements with quality equipment?

Guest burnedfaceless

Wow.

Well, that's kind of a broad request. Since we're talking about Bose, how about speaker manufacturers that make infinitely better products and start with the letter B:

Backes & Muller

Bowers & Wilkins

Bang & Olufsen

Beveridge Audio

Black Forest

Blumenhofer Acoustics

Brentworth

Brodmann Acoustics

Burmester

Bunzow

Bosendorfer

Nope, the person that brings up Bose is instantly perceived as unknowledgeable.

Actually, the thing about their products is most of them are pretty bad, mediocre at best. What you do know when you buy a Bose product is that you've spent twice or three times the money you would spend buying something better from a different brand. Overpaying is guaranteed.

So... analog sourced records are immune to improvements with quality equipment?

None of this is meant to be disrespectful. This is one of my hobbies.

I don't need a woofer I don't need anything I bought the cheapest Bose speakers the cheapest box with my tax return money. I could have spent a little more for surround sound and a woofer but I am a Bose guy. I have been since I have been around a lot of speakers and what not. In 2007 I bought Bose speakers I had to pawn in 2009. I've been around the block a bunch until 2013 when I got my tax return money. 

The box makes a difference too, and this cheapest Yamaha actually does a good job, though the phono preamp was necessary.

As far as analog sourced records yes you can improve them with quality equipment. You're kind of trying to trap me. Let me give my opinion. All of this is qualitative to an extent (speakers). But this I feel is less so.

I made the same mistake twice.

1. I bought Mantis by Umphrey's Mcgee on vinyl. When I played it I hoped it would sound like my copy of the Royal Scam or some other records. But it just sounded lower, I had to amplify the signal more, and it was less clear. It sounds better on Apple TV, or even the through my blu ray player (I compared them all)

2. I got excited when I saw a copy of Revolver. They made a digital remaster from the mix tapes. I didn't read that until after I left. It's not horrible. It might be cool to pull out for a girl or something. But it's not the sound I was hoping for.

Anytime you have a digital signal and you put that on analog you lose whatever it is that the analog contains. 

You can take analog and put it on digital. And you can really "improve" or whatever and it will reproduce fairly accurately as long as you have a digital medium, the quality of the source tapes other factors into consideration. 

But whenever you take a digital signal and put it on vinyl you lose whatever . You're better off spending 10 bucks on iTunes for the digital remaster (or amazon if you hate Apple). 

I'm really big into Steely Dan so I'm trying to find decent copies of Steely Dan albums. We've got a record store here and I got a good copy of The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys which was my senior quote and in good condition. $3.

It's an expensive hobby and a true audiophile would know when to listen through a digital or analog medium. Those aren't fighting words...well maybe they are but with no disrespect intended. 

If an artist recorded on analog reel to reel then pressed it on vinyl I would buy the shit out of it. But yea everyone does digital. So hit the record shops look around, ebay. 

We've got a cool shop here in Savannah. I'll probably have a smokey treat and go in on Friday when I get paid. I am a student...so....I've gotten lucky with my setup.