Buying "new" vinyl

Guest burnedfaceless

Well I drank last night and listened to Apple TV.

My point is if you run it through digital you don't get an accurate sound on vinyl. So it's best not to spend $20 for a brand new vinyl when you can shop around and find a classic edition that is in good condition. 

Digital sounds good on digital. Digital on vinyl is crap.

Just so you are aware, the majority of recordings today are digital...the chances are most records (new releases) that you are buying are from digital masters (some albums are still recorded to tape, but it is FAR fewer than those that are saved as 1's and 0's).

Digital on vinyl is not crap. All but a VERY few operable studios record directly to digital. And the tiny few who still write to tape still do a conversion to digital for editing because nobody splices tape anymore. And mixing and mastering are always digital. So if you've bought a record containing a performance recorded in the past 30 years, the source material was at one point a bunch of ones and zeroes.

Common sense. Look at any political thread on here. Look at the sites that promote vinyl and the bands that release vinyl instead of digital only.

It's a broad generalization, not something to back up with stats. Obvious counter examples exist. We had a damn nazi record collector show up here. I'd bet money, though, that there is a correlation between collecting records and voting democrat (or even further left, like the Green Party).

This board? That's what you call a pretty biased pool to sample from. You could draw a significantly different conclusion from a different board that appealed primarily to, say, metalheads, for example. This board is made up of a lot of younger people who are into very similar scenes. Those of us who are a little older than the median age don't necessarily fit your definition.

It's a broad, useless generalization, based on your experiences with a narrow slice of the people who collect records.

This board? That's what you call a pretty biased pool to sample from. You could draw a significantly different conclusion from a different board that appealed primarily to, say, metalheads, for example. This board is made up of a lot of younger people who are into very similar scenes. Those of us who are a little older than the median age don't necessarily fit your definition.

It's a broad, useless generalization, based on your experiences with a narrow slice of the people who collect records.

I was mostly focusing on genres like country which sell way WAY more albums than metal, have very small vinyl presences, and lean very far right. Modern rock (nickelback type stuff) would be another one.

Fair point -- I haven't done thorough research connecting politics to all genres of vinyl collector so I made a jump based on the stereotype of what type of person collects vinyl today. You could easily change my statements to apply to just VC then, and the point about the environment is the same.

So.... Did anybody even answer the OP's original question?  This is why I spend most of my time at the FWW nowadays cause yall are dicks...

It's a very broad question that doesn't have a simple answer. Most people will recommend the original version if you can find a good conditioned copy of it. If properly remastered, sound degradation should be minimal and could possibly improve the sound (if the original mastering was bad).

We all buy digitally mastered music added to wax all the time.

Outside of general statements like that, it's a case-by-case comparison of the original album to the reissue.

So.... Did anybody even answer the OP's original question? This is why I spend most of my time at the FWW nowadays cause yall are dicks...

LOL...I agree, but this board is sooooo tame compared to others.