WTB // Pelican: WWACTN (Red or Splatter Variants)

Derek™

With the repress of Fire In Our Throats, I've decided it's time to round out the Pelican collection.  I'm on the hunt for;

Pelican: Australasia, RSD exclusive, translucent gold vinyl.

or

Pelican: Australasia, RSD exclusive, yellow and black haze vinyl.

++

Pelican: What We All Come To Need, clear with black and red splatter vinyl, / 500.

or

Pelican: What We All Come To Need, translucent red vinyl, / 1,000.

Either of either variant would be swell.  Surely someone's got to be sitting on a few extra variants.  I'm especially interested in any new copies, if possible.  There are some gold Australasia's on Discogs for $30 that I'm considering... but I figured I'd try here first.

And finally, despite owning an OG Saturday Night Wrist, I've randomly decided that I'd like to wrap up the Deftones discography on colored wax.  I had no idea when the translucent mint green copies of SNW started fetching so much, but... Jesus.  Fortunately, my copy sounds just fine so this one isn't a huge priority... but I want to throw it out on there on the off-chance someone's got an extra.  If not, I'll probably just wait it out for one to pop up on Discogs for an affordable price.

Thanks for looking.

[edit]

Did I not create this in the right board?  I don't see how this request could've offended anyone, or why I'm in the wrong here.

Edited by Derek™

Bumping with a few updates.

Managed to track down Australasia at a price I'm comfortable with.  Still really chasing a red or splatter copy of What We All Come To Need, to wrap up my Pelican kick.  Patience is a virtue.

Also, this happened to the newest copy of SNW that I was watching.  But she's relisted another, and I can only assume I'll have a dozen more chances after that one.  But even if I were to win one of her auctions at a reasonable price, I'd rather not give her [any more] money.

Funny, I listened to Australasia today. Can't get over the theremin in the untitled track. 

Nice.  Do you have an earlier or newer press?  How's it sound?

Only asking because I'm waiting on a RSD-2012 copy to show up, and am quite eager to hear how it may sound at respectable volume, when the time is right.

Nice.  Do you have an earlier or newer press?  How's it sound?

Only asking because I'm waiting on a RSD-2012 copy to show up, and am quite eager to hear how it may sound at respectable volume, when the time is right.

Which RSD version did you get, and for how much, if you don't mind me asking? I feel like the second-hand market for Pelican records is overpriced, unless you buy them new wright away, I would love to get my hands on the yellow with black haze release of Australasia.

Which RSD version did you get, and for how much, if you don't mind me asking? I feel like the second-hand market for Pelican records is overpriced, unless you buy them new wright away, I would love to get my hands on the yellow with black haze release of Australasia.

I locked down a yellow-orange-black haze.  $32.  Pretty pricey for a double LP, but considering I slept on this album for ages - and, like you said, also considering that the aftermarket for Pelican vinyl is pretty nutty - I'm pretty pleased.  Especially since it's an untouched, mint copy... which probably retailed for $35, back in 2012.

One album shy of finishing their discography.  I'm usually pretty neutral on splatter variants, but that WWACTN variant is simply gorgeous.  Commence the waiting game.

Also, I'd like to give a shout out to a fellow VCer who - out of complete kindness - has contacted me to sell off a mint copy of Saturday Night Wrist for what is essentially retail cost + shipping.  Ridiculously grateful.

Oh, I don't own a physical... I just put it on in my car. I couldn't justify that $35 price tag, as much as Pelican is pretty good.

It's funny.  "Pelican is pretty good" summed up how I felt about the band, up until a month ago.  They've always been a part of my library, and I've always dug them well enough.  I've owned City of Echoes on vinyl since 2009 or so.  And before Forever Becoming was released, that was the only Pelican album I had physically purchased.  When I saw that The Fire In Out Throats was getting repressed a few months back, I decided to revisit it, and something about their sound has really been resonating with me ever since.  I finally got around to playing What We All Come To Need shortly after - after not jamming it since 2010 or so - and was strangely more impressed with it than I've ever been.  I don't know, it's tough to explain.  I know that their drums have always been a little on the uninspired side, but I've just been digging all the riffage and melodies more than ever, I guess.  It compelled me to download Australasia just a couple of weeks ago, for the first time, and I was immediately sold on it.  It's been a nice little kick.

I had the RSD press on orange and it sounded fantastic. Have a buddy who had an earlier pressing, with the purple cover, that we used to  listen to and they both sound equally as awesome. Can't beat the Hydra Head standards of quality.

That's great to hear.  I always grumble about Hydra Head and their pricing, but you said it -- I don't own a single release of theirs that I haven't been completely impressed with.  These last few Pelican albums I've purchased [Forever Becoming and Fire In Our Throats] have some of the nicest gatefolds I've ever seen.

I locked down a yellow-orange-black haze.  $32.  Pretty pricey for a double LP, but considering I slept on this album for ages - and, like you said, also considering that the aftermarket for Pelican vinyl is pretty nutty - I'm pretty pleased.  Especially since it's an untouched, mint copy... which probably retailed for $35, back in 2012.

One album shy of finishing their discography.  I'm usually pretty neutral on splatter variants, but that WWACTN variant is simply gorgeous.  Commence the waiting game.

Also, I'd like to give a shout out to a fellow VCer who - out of complete kindness - has contacted me to sell off a mint copy of Saturday Night Wrist for what is essentially retail cost + shipping.  Ridiculously grateful.

It's funny.  "Pelican is pretty good" summed up how I felt about the band, up until a month ago.  They've always been a part of my library, and I've always dug them well enough.  I've owned City of Echoes on vinyl since 2009 or so.  And before Forever Becoming was released, that was the only Pelican album I had physically purchased.  When I saw that The Fire In Out Throats was getting repressed a few months back, I decided to revisit it, and something about their sound has really been resonating with me ever since.  I finally got around to playing What We All Come To Need shortly after - after not jamming it since 2010 or so - and was strangely more impressed with it than I've ever been.  I don't know, it's tough to explain.  I know that their drums have always been a little on the uninspired side, but I've just been digging all the riffage and melodies more than ever, I guess.  It compelled me to download Australasia just a couple of weeks ago, for the first time, and I was immediately sold on it.  It's been a nice little kick.

That's great to hear.  I always grumble about Hydra Head and their pricing, but you said it -- I don't own a single release of theirs that I haven't been completely impressed with.  These last few Pelican albums I've purchased [Forever Becoming and Fire In Our Throats] have some of the nicest gatefolds I've ever seen.

Awesome man, I'm a little jealous that you tracked one down, but glad for you. I first got into Pelican with Fire in Our Throats...., but WWACTN was my next album of theirs, and like you said, something resonated with me. It's truly an amazing album, with so much depth and melody. It took me a few listens, but I am so glad I gave it a couple tries. On a side note: I ended up getting the splatter version of WWACTN by accident. I got it from Amoeba in LA, and it was listed as a clear record. So I was quite surprised to open it up and see the splatter variant. It really is beautiful, and it goes along with my blue splatter FiOTWBtT :-)

Thanks.  I think it's a beautiful variant that really compliments the album art... but I'll always be a sucker for translucent wax.  That being said, I think both RSD variants are magnificent.  And if my offer wasn't strong enough on the haze that I purchased, I would have grabbed the other RSD variant on Discogs for $29 or so.

That's an amazing accidental purchase, I must say.  When you say it was listed as a clear, do you refer to Amoeba's sticker or the actual packaging?  And if you can recall the price, may I ask how much they were asking for it?  Mere curiosity.  And having seen photos of that clear-blue FIOT splatter, I will also agree that it is quite an alluring colorway.

Thanks.  I think it's a beautiful variant that really compliments the album art... but I'll always be a sucker for translucent wax.  That being said, I think both RSD variants are magnificent.  And if my offer wasn't strong enough on the haze that I purchased, I would have grabbed the other RSD variant on Discogs for $29 or so.

That's an amazing accidental purchase, I must say.  When you say it was listed as a clear, do you refer to Amoeba's sticker or the actual packaging?  And if you can recall the price, may I ask how much they were asking for it?  Mere curiosity.  And having seen photos of that clear-blue FIOT splatter, I will also agree that it is quite an alluring colorway.

Yeah, I'm a huge sucker for getting a particular color-variant of a record that matches the album art. I'm not ashamed to admit that I might go out of my way to find that specific pressing that complements the cover or theme. In regards to your question, the description was written on the clear outer sleeve that amoeba uses to hold their used records. I'm paraphrasing here since I don't have the record in front of me, but now that I think about it, I want to say that the writing actually said "marbled cream" or something like that. I had looked up the pressings, and figured they just meant clear or something. So like I said, I was pleasantly surprised. And I can't find it on my list of record purchases, but if I had to guess, it was probably $20-25. I'm nearly 100% sure I didn't pay more than $25.

I only own a first press of The Fire in Our Throats, cause I found a used one for cheap at my local shop. I agree with you on the first listen and mindset of Pelican though. At the surface, it seems like a lot of chugging (at least the song Drought would be a good example) but maybe I should dive into their other works. When it comes to this realm of music, I can't find anything I like more than Russian Circles and Isis, but I need to try a little harder as well.

Hope you get what you're looking for, anywho. 

Yeah, I'm a huge sucker for getting a particular color-variant of a record that matches the album art. I'm not ashamed to admit that I might go out of my way to find that specific pressing that complements the cover or theme. In regards to your question, the description was written on the clear outer sleeve that amoeba uses to hold their used records. I'm paraphrasing here since I don't have the record in front of me, but now that I think about it, I want to say that the writing actually said "marbled cream" or something like that. I had looked up the pressings, and figured they just meant clear or something. So like I said, I was pleasantly surprised. And I can't find it on my list of record purchases, but if I had to guess, it was probably $20-25. I'm nearly 100% sure I didn't pay more than $25.

Nice.  $25 or so is quite the steal for that splatter.  That mislabel definitely worked out in your favor.  And I'm right there with you on trying to get variants that match the jacket or gatefold design.  It all sounds the same, sure, but there's just something about variants that match.  It's the same exact reason I'll be spending both time and an extra bit of money to track down a red or splatter copy of WWACTN, instead of just opting for readily available copies of the gold repress, for cheaper.

I only own a first press of The Fire in Our Throats, cause I found a used one for cheap at my local shop. I agree with you on the first listen and mindset of Pelican though. At the surface, it seems like a lot of chugging (at least the song Drought would be a good example) but maybe I should dive into their other works. When it comes to this realm of music, I can't find anything I like more than Russian Circles and Isis, but I need to try a little harder as well.

I strongly urge you to go back and revisit some other records of theirs.  I completely agree that there's something about both RC and Isis that are untouchable.  And like you, I sort of treated Pelican like "Isis, Light" or "Jr. Russian Circles" for quite a while, not really giving them much priority.  If you have the time, definitely try to [re]visit City of Echoes and What We All Come to Need.  Both are stellar and provide much more than initially meets the ears.  Segments of their new album are so damn good, but as a whole it's not ranking up their with the trifecta that is FIOT, COE, and WWACTN.  At least in my books.

D-Man! Got a list of stuff you might be willing to trade for the mint green SNW? I'm not really looking to get rid of my only remaining copy but I'd love to help you out especially if we can work out a fair trade. PM or something, dude. No promises but if we can hook each other up, it could be beautiful.

D-Man! Got a list of stuff you might be willing to trade for the mint green SNW? I'm not really looking to get rid of my only remaining copy but I'd love to help you out especially if we can work out a fair trade. PM or something, dude. No promises but if we can hook each other up, it could be beautiful.

That's exceptionally generous of you, good sir.  I do appreciate that offer.  But I actually have a kind soul selling me a copy here at VC.  (Which reminds me, I need to update the OP to avoid confusion.)  Just skimmed your Want List for kicks; very solid requests.  That Come On Die Young box should be dropping in a few months, theoretically.  Get stoked.