Woodworking thread

Are their any inner Ron Swansons in the room?

I only did wood shop in high school back in 1996 or so and I remember loving it. Last year we wanted furniture for our then 2 year old and we stumbled on Naked Furniture in Ann Arbor and bought a sweet amish bedroom set in Brown Maple finished in Bing Cherry made in Ohio. So that got me started. I was going to get it unfinished but decided to pay $200 more to have it ready to roll.

Now a few weeks ago I went to buy a wall mount coat hanger for our mud room and a small one for daughters room for her robes and all I can find are $40 particle board junk at home depot, Lowes ect. I went to look online and wood ones are like $100+ and no finish options or at least ones we like. I figured this is a really simple job soooooooo

So what do I do I found this sweet 1x4x6' Maple board at Home Depot that has some cool flame/curly figuring and a nice swath of ambrosia (ambrosia beetles burrow into the live maple tree and the tree fills the space in with darker wood) and I figured that will do nicely. And I had to buy a router, bits, hooks (need 2 more we decided on 7 instead of 5)  and sand paper......... So here is where I am at after about 1.5 hrs.

I pre drilled the holes, I am hiding the mounting screws behind 2 of the hooks right into 2 wall studs.

wood.jpg

wood1.jpg

wood2.jpg

wood4.jpg

wood3.jpg

This is the bedroom set we bought her (bed and dresser #9) we got it finished in bing cherry not in the natural ambrosia maple /walnut thats shown. This is also where I learned about the Ambrosia (wormey maple) 

http://www.amishoakohio.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=24_59_123&osCsid=8uj07h0tfdrac9tvs6u6ls69t4

Her is her set for refrence

furniture.jpg

furniture2.jpg

I dabble in wood working. My dad always built things when I was a kid and I've picked up a few techniques from him. On top of that my girlfriend is very into those IKEA hacking DIY blogs. So far I've build a living room table out of those Michaels wooden crates and some 2x4s and a nice chalkboard/mail organizer that hangs by the front door. I've also built my own "expedit" cabinet for my records out of plywood, though that's still at my parents house in Florida right now.

My next job is a tall skinny table for the living room we can store all of our crap under to hide it. No room for excess in a 400 sqft apartment

I wouldn't say I'm a woodworker, but whenever we need cabinets or whatnot, my wife and I build them.

We were going to replace the vanity in our downstairs bathroom and it turned out it was an odd size.

We build the counter top and spent today tiling it. 

Nice to do a smaller project for change. 

So much satisfaction!

I think they Ikea thing is another reason I hate particle board furniture it isent worth a quarter what you pay for it and it sags, peels or falls apart in no time.........

Most of the "hacking" is done with their solid-wood furniture. Basically just using the pieces in a different way to make a more desirable/functional piece of furniture.

since owning my home and doing repairs around the house it got me thinking about doing woodworking.  are there any starter kits or useful tools i can put on my wish list?

i always see this and work and always wonder if it's something worth picking up.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_3526-39450-K4MS_0__?productId=3278831&Ntt=kreg&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dkreg&facetInfo=

• 4 weeks later...

Love this thread!

My whole family is blue collar, handyman etc. My grandpas ideal job for me was a plumber (saying a computer will never fix the toilet haha)

I have a huge assortment of tools back at my parents house, and asked for my first power tools a little after the age of 10.

Did wood shop, drafting and all those tech classes in High School. Then went to university to teach those classes to High School kids. 

So many school districts now are canceling those programs now or turning them into pre engineering classes. So got out of that since I wouldn't have a job in a few years, and don't want to teach engineering. 

So sad all those courses are depleting, there are so many important skills taught in those classes that kids don't have much access to at all. I was never that good at school, but am amazing with my hands and love to fix/build everything.

I ended up going into primary ed, and am now teaching in Japan. So am far away from my tools and the event of me ever getting a garage let alone a place bigger than my closet wont ever happen unless I marry a real rich girl haha.

But so excited about this thread!

This is great.  I grew up woodworking with my dad.  I currently have my own wood shop in my garage.  Designed and built this for my storage cabinet.  It turned out really nice I think.  The side cube things slide over to keep dust off the turntable when not in use.  I know sound quality's not going to be good with the open space below the table, but I prefer aesthetics of the piece over the tiny bump in sound quality.  Sorry for the HUGE PICTURE.

t3fpf.jpg