huge score at the dump this morning

i was able to score another MC30 for $700 that works, but needs a little love.. and i was reccomended to a guy who's gonna charge me about $1400 for a full electical and cosmetic restoration on both.. re chroming the chassis, polishing up everything nice, rewiring etc. so i should have a pretty gorgeous pair for $2100ish...  i've seen some working / non cosmetically restored ones go for over $3k a pair.. so im in good shape..  i really wanted a pair of mcintosh amps anyways.. so this was a nice boot in the ass to get moving

Wow, that is pretty impressive. Great score, dude.

Before/after pics would be cool. Very nice find.

This as well! Post them if you can please.  B)

the pre-amp will probably be the next piece i pick up, i'm doing some research on various message boards and whatnot.. theres a couple vintage mcintosh ones that i'd be interested in.. i dont have the list here but i think it was the c22 or c20... but ive also had some highly reccomended marantz models. I'm definitely going with a tube pre-amp.. and i'll probably hold out for something really nice, as this will probably be the last stereo system i buy for a looooong time.

There are quite a few modern ones on the market now worth looking at where you wouldn't need to worry about the need for refurbs so much.

I'm, thinking of things like Audio Research, Conrad Johnson, Audio Innovations, Trilogy, Croft, E.A.R, Audio Note etc. or even some of the better ones that have come out of China and the far east.

Or you could even go passive, I now run a passive pre into four valve (tube) monoblocks and find it more neutral than any of the valve pre's I have tried.