Amazon Prime increase

Apparently the streaming service is shaping up to be pretty terrible:

Amazon… may limit how much a person can listen to any given song, according to people familiar with the matter. …Amazon has told record companies it would pay them out of a fixed pool of money…instead of compensating them based on how often users listen to their songs. Music companies are seeking to withhold their newest music from the service, a person familiar with the matter said, though details were unclear as the negotiations are in process.

http://online.wsj.com/news/article_email/SB10001424052702304020104579433483787979164-lMyQjAxMTA0MDEwMTExNDEyWj

That sounds like a terrible idea. I'll stick with Google All Access. I also hate that they try and market their video streaming service like it's a force to be reckoned with. We only use it so our 3 year old daughter can watch Dora The Explorer and that's it.

Oh, and the one time I watched Summer Rental on it.

Nah, I had a 30 day membership and then I did the 6 month free student membership with my old e-mail.

I just recently re-signed up with my normal e-mail with hopes of being able to use my student e-mail and extend it. No dice.

after the free six-months is up, they offer you the regular prime membership (with streaming) for half price, ($40 before) now $49 annually. I've had it now for almost three years and it's definitely worth it for me. I don't even have that .edu address and they've never asked me to verify it at any point. maybe it's a four year max or something... i'm not sure.

after the free six-months is up, they offer you the regular prime membership (with streaming) for half price, ($40 before) now $49 annually. I've had it now for almost three years and it's definitely worth it for me. I don't even have that .edu address and they've never asked me to verify it at any point. maybe it's a four year max or something... i'm not sure.

Yeah, I know. I think if I bought more from Amazon it would be worth it, however $40 is a looooot of money for me to throw up front.

Yeah, I know. I think if I bought more from Amazon it would be worth it, however $40 is a looooot of money for me to throw up front.

understandable. i made something like 90 orders in 2013, and i even buy some groceries and stuff like that. so it was definitely worth it for me. if you don't buy much on amazon, it's definitely not worth it. 

if you end up using the streaming, it comes out to half the price of netflix... so there's that. though i'd say amazon only has about 60% of what netflix has. though amazon has veronica mars and netflix doesn't. worth it again!

Order from amazon all the time without prime and never pay for shipping.

Just have to think ahead a little (so you hit the $35 minimum for free shipping) and order whatever it is you need with plenty of lead time. It's really not hard though. If you can wait 2 days for something, you can almost always wait 5. You aren't buying many $2 items on amazon, so you only have to bundle 2 or 3 together usually to hit $35.

Whole thing is way overrated in my opinion.

Order from amazon all the time without prime and never pay for shipping.

Just have to think ahead a little (so you hit the $35 minimum for free shipping) and order whatever it is you need with plenty of lead time. It's really not hard though. If you can wait 2 days for something, you can almost always wait 5. You aren't buying many $2 items on amazon, so you only have to bundle 2 or 3 together usually to hit $35.

Whole thing is way overrated in my opinion.

same. I just add things to my cart when I need them until I hit the free shipping mark.

I buy a lot of my makeup, hairspray, and lotion stuff on there.

some groceries as well.

I found a work-around on Lifehacker.  Essentially you just buy yourself a gift subscription at the current price and send it to yourself once your subscription expires. 

1.  Disable auto-renew on your Prime account
  2.  Purchase a gift subscription here for $79
  3.  Set it to deliver to your own email address on the day that your current year of Prime lapses.

i hadn't even considered the implications of my university letting alumni use their .edu email addresses for life. i guess i'm gonna be a lifetime amazon student prime member.

It works for 4 years and then they ask you to prove you're still a student. For me that just meant sending em a copy of my student id, but they do as for proof.