Ska / Punk / Alternative Wedding Songs -

Looking for song suggestions to add to our wedding playlist from the Ska/Punk/Alternative scenes.  Here's the 2 catches...

1.  Needs to be acceptable enough for other family members who aren't into this - its a really big wedding

2.  We are a gay couple, and most of the songs that would fit are about girls, or are so blatantly heterosexual love based, that it would just feel awkward.

Thanks ahead of time

Why does everyone on this board have to have punk songs at their wedding. No one wants to hear that noise, they want something they can dance to. Play some De La Soul, James Brown, Dean Martin, maybe Groove is in the Heart or something in that vein, some Al Green, Michael Jackson, something disco-ish that has aged well, a token folky or twangy number, and round out the rest with songs you both like that have special meaning to you and you've got yourself an ideal wedding playlist. If you try to be too fancy or weird with it, people are going to be bummed out, and you want your wedding to be a good time, right?

Clearly people are consciousness of what your old ass aunt wants to dance to one the dance floor. That's why they make these threads -- looking for a middle ground. When someone asking for "punk" songs to play at their wedding, it's implied that they aren't looking for "my war," they are looking for things like "Rudy can't fail" which are fairly popular, but not completely just bowing to the same wedding shit at an event that is supposed to be about you.

I'd suggest Chuck Ragan - do what you do or Gaslight Anthem - blue jeans and white t-shirts.

If you really are most into ska, "merry Mary" was always my favorite chinkees song. It's a dude singing to a girl but seems to fit the wedding theme pretty damn well.

Why does everyone on this board have to have punk songs at their wedding. No one wants to hear that noise, they want something they can dance to. Play some De La Soul, James Brown, Dean Martin, maybe Groove is in the Heart or something in that vein, some Al Green, Michael Jackson, something disco-ish that has aged well, a token folky or twangy number, and round out the rest with songs you both like that have special meaning to you and you've got yourself an ideal wedding playlist. If you try to be too fancy or weird with it, people are going to be bummed out, and you want your wedding to be a good time, right?

I dunno, maybe cuz my friends and I don't listen to stuff like that.  We dont enjoy dancing to that.  So why would I want it played at my wedding.  Obviously, some of it will be played, but not constantly.  Its my wedding, I want it to fit me.  At the same time, I don't want to offend my grandmother with some absurdly obnoxious song either.  But I mean, some Chris Murray, some Allister, something melodic but not to the r&b side is what I am looking for.  Don't enjoy it?  Fine, its not your wedding.