The o-phish-ial PHISH thread

13 hours ago, warhenrecords said:

2/26/03

2/28/03

3/1/03 (attended)

One big YEM sandwhich.

Was at 8/10/04. Other than the Birds that show is ROUGH. Those two Great Woods shows solidified my decision to not attend Coventry.

3/1/03 is also very very solid.  Can't go wrong with that, I LOVE the Piper from that show.  

But dude....  go back and listen to the link I put up for the ACDC Bag from 8/10/04.  You're right, the rest of that show is an absolutely trainwreck, but holy fuck.... the ACDC Bag man.  I promise.  It will blow your mind.  It's this power-groove machine that just does not quit.  The back half of the jam.... with a double-time Fishman beat.... it's almost like a Piper jam, and rages just as hard and melodically as one.  It's fucking unreal dude.  

• 1 month later...

26 minutes ago, simple_torture said:

Help a brother out: does Dry Goods charge as soon as your order is made, or do they wait until it ships?

I cant help you on that but if this is anything like the Fuego release, you can get the "limited" version at local shops!

Amazon has a preorder up but no additional info on it. 

Only reason I shy away from Dry Goods .... the price of shipping and their lack of proper LP packing!

6 hours ago, zdkaiser said:

New Phish LPs = $25

The classic Phish LPs = $50.

(Scratching head...)

The archival releases have been cut and pressed by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering, and they are incredible pressings, with heavyweight jackets, plastic-lined inner sleeves, and a tremendous amount of attention to detail and care.... while the new releases are more mass produced with nice, but average jackets and not nearly as well pressed records. Most pressings of "Joy" and "Fuego" have pretty consistent pressing errors. I still haven't found a "perfect" copy of either, and I've been through quite a few. Same with "Siket Disc" sadly :/

3 hours ago, dreadpiratewendi said:

The archival releases have been cut and pressed by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering, and they are incredible pressings, with heavyweight jackets, plastic-lined inner sleeves, and a tremendous amount of attention to detail and care.... while the new releases are more mass produced with nice, but average jackets and not nearly as well pressed records. Most pressings of "Joy" and "Fuego" have pretty consistent pressing errors. I still haven't found a "perfect" copy of either, and I've been through quite a few. Same with "Siket Disc" sadly :/

i can attest to this quality.  When I was in the vinyl tent at Magnaball, I listened to a bunch of tracks from Lawn Boy and Rift.  The "Mango Song" from Lawn Boy might be one of the greatest sounding musical pieces I've ever heard.  The mastering was fucking incredible; I don't know I've ever heard anything so great.  The space in the music was really astounding, especially Fish's ride cymbal.  It just sounded so incredible.  Everything was so clear and pristine.  It was like the music was coming from a crystal cave or somethhing; the details were so sharp and refined.  It's an experience I'll never forget.  

Granted, I still wouldn't spend $50 on it because that's fucking ridiculous.  But if you have play cash like that floating around, they're fabulous records, truly.  I also spun "Fast Enough For You" when I put Rift on, and that was brilliant as well.  I don't know how much the turntable/headphone amp/headphones also played into the fidelity, but good lord those records sounded amazing.  

Just now, dreadpiratewendi said:

I can tell you that those turntables at Magnaball were nothing special at all. El cheapo models for sure.

yeah?  At the time I didn't know too much about turntables yet.  Don't quite remember what model they were.  Maybe it was the headphone amp/headphones that played a part too.... I'd never listened to vinyl on headphones before.  So that may have played a part.  

But my god, dude....  that Mango Song experience will stay with me forever.  That was absolutely fucking incredible.  

Just now, dreadpiratewendi said:

I can tell you that those turntables at Magnaball were nothing special at all. El cheapo models for sure.

yeah?  At the time I didn't know too much about turntables yet.  Don't quite remember what model they were.  Maybe it was the headphone amp/headphones that played a part too.... I'd never listened to vinyl on headphones before.  So that may have played a part.  

But my god, dude....  that Mango Song experience will stay with me forever.  That was absolutely fucking incredible.  

3 hours ago, dreadpiratewendi said:

I agree. I have Junta, LB, rift, and hoist. All are excellent pressings that sound wonderful. Still, other bands and labels are releasing the same quality for $20 less.

1 hour ago, zdkaiser said:

I agree. I have Junta, LB, rift, and hoist. All are excellent pressings that sound wonderful. Still, other bands and labels are releasing the same quality for $20 less.

Very true.  I have Junta too, and I don't think that was this expensive.  $50 for a single LP is fucking ridiculous.  Especially given that Dry Goods charges like $10 to ship

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm working back through and trying to pick up all of the vinyl re-issues. I was able to get Lawn Boy for a decent used price, and I just got Rift off eBay for what I think is pretty fair. I'm not too concerned about numbers of variants, so I know I can get Hoist and Nectar when I've got the funds, but I'm having trouble finding Junta for under $50, new or used. The cheapest I usually see it for is on the Phish website, which still has copies for $50 plus like $11 shipping.

Does anyone have a line on cheaper copies, or do you ever see copies at a lower price? I've had an eBay searched tracked for two weeks and it's been little help. I know it's 3 LPs and that inflates the price, but was hoping for it to be between $45-$50 shipped.

• 2 weeks later...

Elusivedisc says it has copies of Joy coming in the next few weeks (on 10/21 on the search page, 11/4 on the item page). I threw a flier on it just in case they come through; anyone ever ordered from them before?

They also have Nectar on sale for $29.99: http://www.elusivedisc.com/Phish-A-Picture-Of-Nectar-180g-2LP/productinfo/JMPLP49749/

1 hour ago, simple_torture said:

Elusivedisc says it has copies of Joy coming in the next few weeks (on 10/21 on the search page, 11/4 on the item page). I threw a flier on it just in case they come through; anyone ever ordered from them before?

They also have Nectar on sale for $29.99: http://www.elusivedisc.com/Phish-A-Picture-Of-Nectar-180g-2LP/productinfo/JMPLP49749/

FINALLY JOY!

Yes they are a solid company and pack their shipments very secure! Order away!

FYI, SSD has 20% coupon back LP20

maybe they will have Joy also>

9 hours ago, simple_torture said:

Of course, the day after I do this, they release a 20% off code. SAVE20

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, simple_torture said:

Merry Christmas/Happy Chanukah everyone: Elusivedisc.com finally has Joy back in stock. $24.99 plus shipping (they're currently doing 15% off, code: SAVE15).

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Phish-Joy-180g-2LP/productinfo/ATOLP49823/

Bull Moose also has it: http://www.bullmoose.com/p/1725903/phish-joy-2-lp-set

• 2 weeks later...
  • coolio changed the title to The o-phish-ial PHISH thread