Heading to NOLA Next Week RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE

Spitfire Coffee

Erin Rose for a fun dive bar (they have a great frozen Irish Coffee)

Bacchanal Wine for an awesome patio / live music / cheese plates paired w wine

Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop is pretty much the only bar on Bourbon Street that's not a complete shitshow

The Dungeon is right off Bourbon Street and has an awesome, heavy metal dive bar feel

1 minute ago, thomasj182 said:

Thank you! The wife and I have a few places on our list like district donuts and courtyard brewery but those are about 20 minutes from where we're staying so anything we can walk to is great! Will add those to the list!

Oh, and Buffa's is a bar that's open 24 hours that serves food all night - probably the best 3am burger I've had.

For touristy shit, Frenchman Street is so much better than Bourbon Street, basically 3-4 blocks full of bars with live music and on certain nights they have a cool little night market. A cemetery tour is also pretty great - we grabbed a mule drawn carriage pretty much across the street from Cafe du Monde. 

And I can't recommend Bacchanal enough - it's possibly my favorite bar in the world (and I drink a ton and love my bars)

14 hours ago, thomasj182 said:

Thank you! The wife and I have a few places on our list like district donuts and courtyard brewery but those are about 20 minutes from where we're staying so anything we can walk to is great! Will add those to the list!

District Donuts is awesome! I also can't recommend Stein's Deli enough. Right next door to District. Incredible sandwiches and bagels. They've also got a back room loaded with a ton of solid craft beers. I found several good things there. 

• 2 weeks later...

I live just outside NO in a suburb called Gretna. I've written about everything elsewhere.

Record stores are varied. Whatever you do, go to Euclid first. Plan to spend 3-4 hours there. They have hundreds of thousands of records. Tell the guys working Jeff sent you. Then go to Domino Sound Record Shack. It's smaller but very fairly priced. It's a must. A great variety and if you're adventurous, they can turn you on to Ethiopian garage rock or something more conventional.  Skully'z on Bourbon is even smaller than Domino and unless it's a brand new release, it probably won't be in there. But Scott who owns it is a gem of a person. Tell him Jeff sent you too. If you have time, go to Sisters in Christ uptown. Bryan Funck of Thou fame owns the store. Focuses primarily on hard and extreme music and can be on the obscure side. Good selection of that, though. 

Never go to Peaches on Magazine. Over-priced records and unethical practices.