taking a record to a band's show

Guest falloutcollapse

I really wanted to get my "Reset" 7" signed by Set Your Goals, but I haven't received it yet, so I got a poster instead. I think it'd be cool to get stuff signed, but that's probably just me.

it's funnier to take a different bands record to a show and have them sign it.

many years ago i went to go see Spring Heeled Jack and had the horn section sign my SHJ CD in addition to the Amazing Royal Crowns full length because they play on the song 'Do the Devil' and all of them were like "OH MAN, I'd be honored to sign that record!" I got a good laugh out of that one.

I'm not really into autographs anymore, but i'm sure that it's not a totally unfamiliar thing for the Weakerthans now. So I wouldn't feel too self conscious about doing that...chances are it's not going raise it's value.

many years ago i went to go see Spring Heeled Jack and had the horn section sign my SHJ CD in addition to the Amazing Royal Crowns full length because they play on the song 'Do the Devil' and all of them were like "OH MAN, I'd be honored to sign that record!" I got a good laugh out of that one.

I'm not really into autographs anymore, but i'm sure that it's not a totally unfamiliar thing for the Weakerthans now. So I wouldn't feel too self conscious about doing that...chances are it's not going raise it's value.

i practically have a shrine to SHJ in my living room. The only thing i have signed by them is a flyer from the first time they played for me tho.

I find it hard to believe that having a band sign their own album devalues it. It makes it even more rare / unique. I know there's that quote in "Half Baked" about the Kenny Loggins album, but that's just a joke. There is no way a record would be worth less with the artists' signature on it.

Unless it's personalized. "Jeff, Thanks for all the support. - Michael Bolton."

i have a lifetime - jersey's best dancers test pressing, and i didnt like it just hanging around without a sleeve, so i made one for it. i took one of the covers that rev hq usually sends with order and cut it up and turned it inside out. i photocopied the cover of the cd, and wrote "TEST PRESSING JT1034LP" or something like that. total nerd crap, right?

so im going to see paint it black in september (last month) and i email dan yemin and ask him if he could sign it for me. because, essentially, this record changed my musical tastes--DRASTICALLY (i was listening to taking back sunday before i picked up this record). i carried around that stupid sleeve for the all four bands that played before them, because he didnt sign it until right before they played. the message went something like this:

Gabe--

Thanks for giving a damn about the music. Don't ever doubt that it doesn't mean anything. Stay punk.

-Dan Yemin

it was awesome.

Guest scriptedrain
Ahh, touche, salesman.

Hahaha. You're going to get to use that one for a while.

It's only funny because everything worked out ok.

:)

I gave you good feedback in the Awesome Sellers thread. I'm still stoked to have these records, thanks a lot!

I find it hard to believe that having a band sign their own album devalues it. It makes it even more rare / unique. I know there's that quote in "Half Baked" about the Kenny Loggins album, but that's just a joke. There is no way a record would be worth less with the artists' signature on it.

I dunno; when I eBayed my autographed copy of Finch's "What It Is To Burn" a few months back, it went for only $26 -- and an unautographed copy went for $36 the week before!

Guest scriptedrain

I dunno; when I eBayed my autographed copy of Finch's "What It Is To Burn" a few months back, it went for only $26 -- and an unautographed copy went for $36 the week before!

Must... hold... back...

In all honesty, though, I don't think that's a good estimation of what something is worth. We all have got steals from eBay where we get a record for dirt cheap when we know that really people just forgot about the auction or it ended too quickly or there just weren't searches for that band during that particular time.

I'm sure if you had put an unautographed and autographed copy up at the same time, the autographed copy would bring in more / higher bids.

^Maybe. I think it depends on who's bidding, a collector or a fan. Collectors probably wouldn't want an album with Sharpie all over the cover, whereas a fan would be more apt to seek that out.

The only other vinyl I have autographed is Jimmy Eat World's "Futures" (came that way via pre-order) and that Village People record I had Motion City Soundtrack sign.

Must... hold... back...

In all honesty, though, I don't think that's a good estimation of what something is worth. We all have got steals from eBay where we get a record for dirt cheap when we know that really people just forgot about the auction or it ended too quickly or there just weren't searches for that band during that particular time.

I'm sure if you had put an unautographed and autographed copy up at the same time, the autographed copy would bring in more / higher bids.

i fail to see your logic here. if youre talking about big bands like kiss or ac/dc or something then yeah youre probably right, because of the celebrity status. but when it comes to smaller indie bands, for example that get up kids lp on ebay recently, or like an anniversary or bane record even.. you may as well have doodled all over it (i dont care if its on the sleeve or the vinyl). i dont hold anybody in the indie bands i listen to to a celebrity status... and i wouldnt imagine theyd want you to. as a collector i wouldnt pay near as much for a signed copy as i would for a mint copy. if having a signature is your thing then thats fine, each his own, but im gonna go out on a limb here and say a majority of collectors dont want scribbles on thier records.

Guest scriptedrain

It surprises me to hear this. It's not really a "celebrity" thing, it's just a fact of what a signature is and represents. There are signings for everything, I've never heard of a signature bringing down the value. It doesn't matter if it's a lady down the street who wrote her own book or your friend's band signing their own CD.

You're turning this into an issue of holding people up on a pedestal (insert The 40 Year Old Virgin joke here). I'm not saying you have to hold people up at a "celebrity status" and I'm not saying they want you to. It's a signature. I could do it, you could do it, sure. But if I make something and somebody likes / wants it enough to purchase it, I can't imagine my signature - as the guy who made said item - would make it worth less to that same person who wanted it in the first place.

i dont know if you know about all the beef between Earth Crisis and Reversal of Man (there was a fight, ROM wrote a song about how Earth Crisis and Victory are assholes, blah blah blah), but my friend took the Reversal of Man 10" to a show when Earth Crisis and The Misfits were touring together (like 9 years ago, fuck im old). anyways, she asked Karl to sign it, he looked at the record and grabbed it out of her hands, tore it up, and then tried to start a fight with her and was calling her a "stupid fucking cunt".

good times.