All day I've been asking myself why I buy vinyl.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought my first record about 6 months ago, but only really started collecting since I've been part of this site. It's a fun hobby, I like the whole feeling of finding the proper spot on the record, listening to all the hisses and pops, it's a warm sound, and it's a fun way to waste an hour of your day. CD's are cheap to me, I lose them an incredible amount, and my IPod is all loaded up, which I love, but there's something about pulling the record out of the sleeve, and spinning it that truly gives you a feel for the music. Half of the fun is the experience IMO.

My suggestion is buy (and listen to) what you like. Don't begin buying with the intent to collect. Over time, your collection will naturally grow and then, you can begin looking around and filling in the gaps. You won't be so intimidated as you will already have a decent amount of albums to grow from.

I just buy the albums I really really like currently I am looking at buying Brand New Deja Entendu. I did not like Your Favorite Weapon as much so I am not even really considering buying that album. And The most I am even willing to spend on a record is 100$ which is good because I am am buying Moneen the Red Tree for that amount.

$100 for that moneen record? seriously?

Why is that to much I got another guy in August that will sell me it for 80$.

holy shit, tegan and sara post here?

Hahaha nope sorry they do not even post on the fan forum why would they post here. I just really like them and The Con got me into vinyl.

well considering you could still order it a few months ago... yeah, it's too much. i mean a record is worth however much someone is willing to pay. but to me it seems a little excessive.

People just have different reasons to buy vinyl. I took the vinyl route for a few reasons:

1) I wanted to support the bands but CDs were just gathering dust after I ripped them to my computer/iPod

2) I enjoy limited/numbered items

3) I'm an audiophile and I enjoy the sound of records over CDs

I'm not gonna lie, I probably only listen to records 10% of the time compared to listening to my iPod or music on my computer, but I really enjoy playing a record every few days.

People just have different reasons to buy vinyl. I took the vinyl route for a few reasons:

1) I wanted to support the bands but CDs were just gathering dust after I ripped them to my computer/iPod

3) I'm an audiophile and I enjoy the sound of records over CDs

I'm not gonna lie, I probably only listen to records 10% of the time compared to listening to my iPod or music on my computer, but I really enjoy playing a record every few days.

im not knocking you since im sure it comes down to a time restraint on your end but if you, or anyone else for that matter, considers themselves an "audiophile" listening to music from an ipod or on the computer would simply not suffice to that of a record.

These are the 2 reasons I'm trying to start a record collection. It's slow going.

Guest falloutcollapse
My suggestion is buy (and listen to) what you like. Don't begin buying with the intent to collect. Over time, your collection will naturally grow and then, you can begin looking around and filling in the gaps. You won't be so intimidated as you will already have a decent amount of albums to grow from.

Great words of wisdom. I think I have done a pretty good job on buying releases that I truly enjoy, and now I am starting to fill in the gaps and get color variations and records to see if I like the music.

I started this whole record collecting thing when I got a turntable and a buttload of Ramones albums for Christmas. I like records because everything about them is fun. The way they look, the sounds they make. Nothing beats it. Also, I take care of my records whereas my CDs, I throw around like they're no big deal.

I started collecting vinyl because it was the only way to get a bunch of albums I wanted to hear (pre-mp3). Nowadays, I can see there'd be less of an incentive to rush out and buy vinyl (besides the obvious positives of the medium), especially if you like mainstream bands. There's no point persisting if your heart's not in it, though. Even so, I don't see much of a difference between buying CD's and buying records. I mean, if you're going to buy CD's, why not just buy records instead?

I started collecting vinyl because it was the only way to get a bunch of albums I wanted to hear (pre-mp3). Nowadays, I can see there'd be less of an incentive to rush out and buy vinyl (besides the obvious positives of the medium), especially if you like mainstream bands. There's no point persisting if your heart's not in it, though. Even so, I don't see much of a difference between buying CD's and buying records. I mean, if you're going to buy CD's, why not just buy records instead?

I do not because cd is easier to put on the computer and way easier to listen to. I only buy records for albums I really like so that I would actualy want to take time to sit down and listen to them.

well then do what most people do... buy the record, and download the mp3's from the interweb. as a label owner i think thats totally kosher, and respectful to the artist and the label who issued it.

Or if you want to guarantee quality, buy a USB mic and record the record to digital that way. You encode it at such a high bit rate, etc that you won't notice nearly as much difference in quality.

I got one of those record player that converts the vinyl to cd format so if I want I can have any record on my computer it takes a little time and effort but it is cool. Also I am not a hardcore collector and do not worry about variants. I just buy records from bands I like and Albums I would like to have on vinyl.

Honestly if you feel that you are spending to much on a record then do not get it. Also if your gut says that you do not really like the format then maybea collecting vinyl is not for you.

Considering I'm an old fart, I started buying vinyl when there weren't any other format options. That makes it a lot easier to start a record collection. Seriously though, the collecting part shouldn't take any thought, it should come from the blood. I HAVE to get the records? Why? Because I'm a friggin' nerd that doesn't have a choice. Luckily I'm at that point in life where I've finished college, got a real job, have dual incomes, blah blah blah. Now affording records isn't as much as a problem as finding records I want to buy that are affordable. Ebay has killed collecting and turned it into some junior league stock market. I remember many points in my life though where I couldn't buy nearly as much as I wanted. But...this crap is in my blood, I have made many sacrifices in order to keep the habit alive (and yes, it is a habit, not a "hobby" and I am hopelessly addicted). Like the prom. What punkrock kid is going to the prom? For shame? You could get a months worth of vinyl for the cost of the prom. You and your girl should steal some beer and go tear shit up (or listen to your records). You will have more fun. Trust me.

My advice to the collecting newbie is to stay away from pressing variations and stay away from having a "complete" collection of established bands untill you have a good enough collection to start trading. That will allow you to buy more records from more bands. Why spend 100 dollars for one record when you can spend 10 for 10 records? For me it's more about hearing lots of different music then getting every variation for every pressing from one band. All that says to me is "wow, that person spent a lot of money on five of the same record". I know that is satisfying in it's own right, but IMO that is what separates the collector from the fanatic. For me it's far more enjoyable to find a new band that you really dig, get their records at the beginning, and smile when you see someone else paying 100 dollars for the same thing five years later. I am suffering the same fate just hearing Fucked Up a couple of months ago and trying to track down all their old records at a reasonable price. Anyone got their records for cheap/trade? If so, see my list for poss. trades.