PO: Candy Hearts "All The Ways You've Let Me Down" LP

I thought it was super fun.

Just because you want to have equal rights and be respected, doesn't mean you can't be feminine/adorable.

Equality isn't about acting like a man and being treated like a man. It's about beig able to be a cute girl rolling around in bed and not having people think less of you for it.

I generally agree.  However, from the things she's written, she wants to be seen as a musician first and a girl second.

This video's message is girl/feminine/adorable first, musician second, equal band member third.

...why do being a girl and a musician have to be two seperate things? You don't look at men and go "he should be a musician first and a man second."

I'm pretty sure she wants to be respected as a female musician, not two things seperately.

It's just very different from the way most bands advertise their sound.  The emphasis of the video is on her femininity not on her musicianship.  If you've read any of her pieces on sexism she gets upset that people assume she doesn't play guitar or that the male members in her band do everything, etc.

This video puts the spotlight on her, her being a girl, and her voice as the instrument. It doesn't put the focus on Candy Hearts, the pop-punk band of musicians.

I don't really care about how they want to market themselves as it's really none of my business.  But if you're focusing your image around having a girl singer and you're getting upset that people are not treating you the same way they treat any other band, you're being a hypocrite.

I'm not going to argue this with you or anything, but I think you're putting way too much thought into this video and not in a good way.

Girls shouldn't constantly have to fight for themselves or other females for being "feminine" or for wanting to be respected. They should just be respected.

The fact that you're suggesting a female fronted band shouldn't expect the same level as respect as a male fronted band is absolutely insane.

I'm not going to argue this with you or anything, but I think you're putting way too much thought into this video and not in a good way.

Girls shouldn't constantly have to fight for themselves or other females for being "feminine" or for wanting to be respected. They should just be respected.

The fact that you're suggesting a female fronted band shouldn't expect the same level as respect as a male fronted band is absolutely insane.

You're missing the point.  I'm not saying females should be respected any differently than males.

Compare the video for Bad Idea:

No.  Call me old fashioned, but I believe in bands being bands.

The video for I Miss You is a pop video for a pop star with a backing band.

My point was that if you want to be Mariel and the Candy Hearts that's fine, but don't have the same expectations for how you are treated relative to the way that Red City Radio are treated.

i really wasn't responding to anything you said (though admittedly i think your point is not a good one at all), i was just being silly.

I'm disappointed because I think there is a platform for this band to actually do something for the punk/pop-punk community.  They're growing in popularity and are fronted by someone who has strong opinions on how the scene should do a better job of embracing women.  They are accessible yet are still playing basement shows and Fest, etc.

I think they're wasting the opportunity to stand up and say "Hey we have a girl singer but we're going to rock and do shit the same way every other band is and you need to get with it or there's no place for you here" by making cute pop videos.

I'm disappointed because I think there is a platform for this band to actually do something for the punk/pop-punk community.  They're growing in popularity and are fronted by someone who has strong opinions on how the scene should do a better job of embracing women.  They are accessible yet are still playing basement shows and Fest, etc.

I think they're wasting the opportunity to stand up and say "Hey we have a girl singer but we're going to rock and do shit the same way every other band is and you need to get with it or there's no place for you here" by making cute pop videos.

honestly, that video looked a lot like what i would expect from a pop-punk band, regardless of the gender of the lead singer. i really truly don't see what you're taking an issue with here. also, why should there be an expectation that they're supposed to operate differently solely because of the gender of the singer? your way of thinking is inherently anti-feminist by trying to apply these constructs of what you *think* a girl should do to...not be such a stereotypical girl? your argument just makes no sense to me.

honestly, that video looked a lot like what i would expect from a pop-punk band, regardless of the gender of the lead singer. i really truly don't see what you're taking an issue with here. also, why should there be an expectation that they're supposed to operate differently solely because of the gender of the singer? your way of thinking is inherently anti-feminist by trying to apply these constructs of what you *think* a girl should do to...not be such a stereotypical girl? your argument just makes no sense to me.

No.  I guess the only difference is what we consider standard for a pop-punk band.  If this is "standard" then I'm off base.  I think it isn't.

I'm not saying they should operate differently because she's a girl. I am saying that because she's been very vocal about not wanting to be treated differently that they should portray themselves similarly to other bands in the genre.  If this video is par for the course (in your opinion) then my criticism is incorrect.  In my opinion it isn't so that's why I'm saying that they should be presenting themselves the way that they want to be treated.

No.  I guess the only difference is what we consider standard for a pop-punk band.  If this is "standard" then I'm off base.  I think it isn't.

I'm not saying they should operate differently because she's a girl. I am saying that because she's been very vocal about not wanting to be treated differently that they should portray themselves similarly to other bands in the genre.  If this video is par for the course (in your opinion) then my criticism is incorrect.  In my opinion it isn't so that's why I'm saying that they should be presenting themselves the way that they want to be treated.

not wanting to be treated differently because of your gender, sexual orientation, race, etc, does NOT equate to feeling like you need to behave to what someone believes to be the 'norm' for whatever you do. you shouldn't have to conform to some industry standard in order to not be treated differently, or to make some point that you think they need to be making about something.

they should just do what they love and make whatever video they want. and if they chose to make this video this way, then cool. good for them. if they did it because they think 'oh man we need this girl to use her sex appeal and be super poppy in order to sell records' THEN therein lies the problem.

not wanting to be treated differently because of your gender, sexual orientation, race, etc, does NOT equate to feeling like you need to behave to what someone believes to be the 'norm' for whatever you do. you shouldn't have to conform to some industry standard in order to not be treated differently, or to make some point that you think they need to be making about something.

they should just do what they love and make whatever video they want. and if they chose to make this video this way, then cool. good for them. if they did it because they think 'oh man we need this girl to use her sex appeal and be super poppy in order to sell records' THEN therein lies the problem.

In my opinion (note this is my opinion) that is what I think is happening and that's what created the clusterfuck of this thread.  I think whoever came up with this video thought "this girl is cute (or if she thought of it then "I am cute") and emphasizing that fact will help make the label/band/whoever more money." 

And I know our opinions on the video differ, I'm just curious how many music videos you've seen with the male singer rolling around in his bed?

I am willing to concede the point that a lot of videos will focus on the lead singer and the rest of the band is in less of the video/less important, but I don't think I've ever seen something like that with a guy singer in this scene.  If we're going to include all genres I'm sure there are music videos for the Biebs rolling around in his bed of money in his underwear but I don't think that counts.

1. I'm just curious how many music videos you've seen with the male singer rolling around in his bed?

2. I don't think I've ever seen something like that with a guy singer in this scene.  

3. If we're going to include all genres I'm sure there are music videos for the Biebs rolling around in his bed of money in his underwear but I don't think that counts.

1. It does not matter.

2. It does not matter.

3. Typical.  Throw out a stupid gender-bias question then immediately try to discredit a logical (not to mention super legit) response by saying "I don't think that counts."

But, really, the point here is that GENDER DOESN'T MATTER.  Get over it.

Also, that dude from Modern Baseball I believe was shown laying around his bed in multiple frames of their latest music video.  Defend pop punk!

At the end of the day my opinion is:

This band is good! This band deserves attention and respect! This band has a super cute, talented girl who seems to have her head on her shoulders and seems to be a great role model for other ladies who want to be in the industry! This is full of exclamation points and run on sentences! Girl power! Defend pop punk! Eat pizza! Yeah!

1. It does not matter.

2. It does not matter.

3. Typical.  Throw out a stupid gender-bias question then immediately try to discredit a logical (not to mention super legit) response by saying "I don't think that counts."

But, really, the point here is that GENDER DOESN'T MATTER.  Get over it.

Also, that dude from Modern Baseball I believe was shown laying around his bed in multiple frames.  Defend pop punk!

My point was about THIS genre.  In rap videos there are girls with their asses clapping.  I'd like to think there is a different standard for different genres.

I don't get how you're creating anything in your head about me saying gender matters.  I was replying to catparade who was commenting about how videos like this are common.  My statement was that they aren't and I was asking her to provide me an example outside of this.  I said male because most bands in this genre are male fronted.

It's not in my head, believe me.  You are trying to prove your point by saying one acts (or shouldn't act - which is ludicrous) a certain way because of their gender.  If you want community among a genre where biases don't matter, you can start by not segregating the music based on how many dongs each band has.