Fargo (TV show)

Really liked the season finale.

How does the show relate to the movie? I loved this show, never saw the film though.

You should really watch the movie. And watch every Coen brothers movie too, because they're all great, but this one is probably considered their classic.

The show has the same tone and general setting of the movie. Noah Hawley basically took inspiration from the movie to create this. And got the Coens approval, but they're only executive producers on the show. Both barely have to do with with actual city of Fargo. Both feature a smart, friendly female cop. Both involve a husband doing something bad to their wife as the catalyst for lots of bad things to happen in a small town. The only direct tie between the two is the briefcase of money.

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I've been watching, and it's been great. I like how this season's story is placed 27 years before the first season with the same Solverson family. There is a lot of information to take in all at once, so I feel like I need to go back and re-watch the first two episodes. Not quite sure what they are going for with the alien spaceship sightings, but I'm sure they will explain it at some point. 

Shit, I didn't even make that connection.

Yep, Patrick Wilson is the Solverson cop's dad from the first season. The character was retired in the first season and owned the diner. I've read some of the events that they talked about during the first season between him and her are what's being expanded on this season.