test record which is 180gm vinyl inaccurate?

im confused. you're upset because you have a 180g test press?

No, I think that a test record is what is used to calibrate vertical tracking force, anti-skate, etc. without damaging an important record. It's got different sounds on it and stuff to make sure that your sound isn't being distorted.

Why would the records weight affect it's tracking?

Since 180g records are thicker, I think that he's concerned about setting his needle and tonearm to be too high above a standard-weight record.

I think that most records actually weigh between 110 and 140 or 150 grams, so 120 is not necessarily a standard weight.

in theory it will make a difference but in reality it shouldn't.

If you have a cartridge that's fussy enough that it's an audible difference then that's piss poor cartridge design, records come in quite a variety of thickness so a cartridge needs to cope with that and also if it's that fussy the chances of setting the VTA accurately without a vernier scale on both the VTA and tracking force would be pure luck.

Grrrr I have just realised I have bought a test record which is 180gm vinyl :(

Since most vinyl is 120gm? is it going to give me inaccurate results with tracking etc?

thanks

Martin

Martin, you will be perfectly fine... Nothing will break. Nothing will be inaccurate. You will be fine.