PO: Wreck & Reference "Want" LP

Seeing them in June opening for Deafheaven and Pallbearer. Never heard W&R and have been wondering what to expect, so this is nice to read.

I think myself and others would agree they're on the cusp of becoming pretty notable. They have a pretty unique sound in my opinion. And I think it's really cool Felix (the singer) rocks a midi pad, which I think is an MPC, with a guitar strap so he can jam out with it as opposed to standing still with it on a table. 

Variant sounds great.  I never did get around to checking out that 7", but I'm quite fond of Youth, when the mood is right.  I've always assumed it was the early sound of a band dialing in an original, quality style.  Very eager to hear where they go with this one.

I haven't disliked anything from them yet. You can also DL their first album, Black Cassette for free on bandcamp. 

• 4 weeks later...

This is now streaming, for those interested.  I don't have time to listen this evening, despite really wanting to.

I listened once all the way through and probably will tomorrow. Shit. I can't wait to spin. This band is climbing my personal ranks. 

To sum this album up, I'd say it's as out there as can be while still being pretty accessible. In terms of song length and structure. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't go that far, actually after a good bunch of listens, I'd say it's my least favorite W&R record. Black Cassette and No Youth are somewhat better put together, sounding bigger. Might be the hand of the almighty Colin Marston vs. Jack Shirley. Perhaps it's the pace that slows down throughout it and never recovers back. Still, it's one of the darker records of 2014, no doubts. And that's good enough.

I wouldn't go that far, actually after a good bunch of listens, I'd say it's my least favorite W&R record. Black Cassette and No Youth are somewhat better put together, sounding bigger. Might be the hand of the almighty Colin Marston vs. Jack Shirley. Perhaps it's the pace that slows down throughout it and never recovers back. Still, it's one of the darker records of 2014, no doubts. And that's good enough.

It is definitely a slower album, no question. Maybe that's why I find it to be more powerful. I'm a big fan of slow music.

It's my favorite of theirs. 

Haven't heard the album yet but the songs where phenomenal live. The band floored me. The way the Guy on lead used that preprogrammed instrument was so interesting, and the way the drummer goes ballistic allthewhile vocalizing a vicious, unique growling style.. I was really into it. I picked up this awesome 17x11 poster they had (for only $3!) which I thought had a blackhole in space pictured above a paragraph of lyrics.. it is actually crushed pills pressed under a CD, which in retrospect makes sense; the drummer was so bug eyed and wiggin' out whenever I met him and tried to compliment his playing style. He also looked really confused when asked to sign the back of my poster lol. They were great though. Wish I coulda picked up one of the colored Want LPs...