• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it makes me sad that i almost went to

http://laist.com/2008/02/18/concert_review_7.php

but didn't..

Next up was Zooey Deschanel. Although she has showcased her vocal skills in movies like Elf and as a guest vocalist on albums with Ben Lee and Coconut Records, she is set to release her first full-length album next month with collaborator M. Ward. Under the name She & Him, Deschanel and Ward will release “Volume 1” on March 18. It will include nine songs by Deschanel along with two covers (“I Should Have Known Better” by the Beatles and “You Really Got a Hold on Me” by Smokey Robinson).

Deschanel took the stage with keyboardist Dave Palmer, and began with a sultry “Moon River.” The set was comprised of mostly standards—plus one original—and included “Ain’t Misbehavin,” Patsy Cline’s “She’s Got You,” and “I Put a Spell on You.” The gal’s got some pipes.

It’s refreshing to see jazz/cabaret-type singers pop up more and more in LA clubs. With Deschanel and others such as Maude Maggart leading the charge, I can’t wait to see more.

Deschanel seemed at ease on the stage—at one point she pulled out a mini banjo, sat down on a stool in her floor-length evening gown, crossed her legs, and proceeded to strum and sing (with accompaniment by Palmer on a melodica wind piano). There were also some hilarious quirky moments, such as when she looked at her hand to remember some lyrics, and when she tried to move a stool and accidentally popped the top off of it.

As if often the case, 826LA auctioned off some artist-donated items last night, with all tax-deductible funds going toward the mentoring program. Rather than just bringing, say, an autographed photo, Deschanel actually sewed three items. My favorite was a jagged-edged piece of fabric with a knit duck in the middle and the word “friendly” beneath it. Deschanel explained that she messed up the first time she tried to sew it, so there was a floating duck head on one of the edges of the fabric. The handicrafts sold for nearly $300.

The final act of the evening was Paul F. Tompkins, who told some hilarious stories about working in stores called “Hats in the Belfry” and “Beta Only.” He concluded his set by doing a bit that was a wry complement to the kids’ stories that Barnett had read earlier in the evening: stories written by the elderly.

To cap off the evening, Barnett brought Deschanel and Palmer back on stage and auctioned off a final song in which three people pledged $100 each for her to perform “Till There Was You.” It was so worth the $300, plus it all went toward supporting an amazing cause. I’m already looking forward to a kid-penned Leppy sequel—perhaps a story about an elephant named Giraffey.

she's so dreamy...

Yeah, i can't believe I missed her at SXSW.

i can't believe you didnt' see her. she was walking around aimlessly asking people what were the cool things to do downtown and where to go...she was out and about every evening during music and some of film like everyone else..

she is gorgeous though...

i saw eugene mirman at the taco shack eating a burrito.. :o

we weren't supposed to take pictures so i couldn't get a lot of good pics, but here are some

singing with the opening band, Lavender Diamond and one of her friends whose name escapes me

[image]

jason schwartzman, on the left, came on to play piano for Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?, and guitar for this song (i forgot which)

that stupid piano blocked my view of Zooey for the couple songs she played on the piano

[image]

[image]

jason schwartzman hung around for a bit outside but i didn't want to be a douche and ask for a pic while he was shooting the shit with some ppl, so after waiting a few min and no Zooey, i ended up leaving

Guest baseball
I might see her at the Virgin music festival! YESSS!

RONNIE LETS KIDNAP HER!

SOOO DOWN

Ummm, feel free to stop by my place on your way out of Baltimore. Only after the 'pick up' has taken place though.