Vibration causing records to jump.

I searched the forum but couldn't see anything.

We have old wooden floorboards in my house and the record player is sat on a unit in one corner, however whenever you walk past where it's sat the record skips from the vibration. Does anyone have any recommendations of rubber mats/feet (or anything else) I can use to minimise the vibrations to stop it jumping?

Sounds like you need to isolate it from the floor or do some of the dampening solutions that have been suggested. Maybe tread more lightly? Honestly, I've never heard of this problem from anyone before but there are plenty of cost-effective solutions like those already mentioned.

Spike feet might work also. They'll reduce the surface area vibration can travel through. I'd probably look at doing some sort of wall mounted shelving though. Just make sure it's stable and, obviously, can bear the weight of the equipment you put on it.

Good luck and let us know what you do that ends up working.

old_man_walking_slow_md_clr.gif:)

This isn't far wrong at the moment! It's a mixture between this and moonwalking across the dining room.

As a temporary solution whilst we move everything around I've got the speakers next to the turntable which won't help either, this is getting moved next week. I'll start with getting my self a rubber mat/feet this weekend and see if that helps.

It's quite an old turntable so I don't know if this happens less in newer models?

This isn't far wrong at the moment! It's a mixture between this and moonwalking across the dining room.

As a temporary solution whilst we move everything around I've got the speakers next to the turntable which won't help either, this is getting moved next week. I'll start with getting my self a rubber mat/feet this weekend and see if that helps.

It's quite an old turntable so I don't know if this happens less in newer models?

Age shouldn't have anything to do with it as it's all to do with design and It happens more on unsprung modern turntables like the Projects and Rega's than it does on modern suspended turntables because those are naturally isolated from the vibrations.

You can try all sorts of things and each will have more or less effect, you can try from rubber under the feet all the way upto a sturdy wall mount but depending how good your turntable is some dampening methods can get rid of the jumps but also deaden the sound.

Over here because we have lots of older houses with old creaky floorboards for the Rega's and Projects there are a bespoke range of wall mounted supports to stop the problem. I gave up with unsprung turntables years ago for this very reason.

Age shouldn't have anything to do with it as it's all to do with design and It happens more on unsprung modern turntables like the Projects and Rega's than it does on modern suspended turntables because those are naturally isolated from the vibrations.

You can try all sorts of things and each will have more or less effect, you can try from rubber under the feet all the way upto a sturdy wall mount but depending how good your turntable is some dampening methods can get rid of the jumps but also deaden the sound.

Over here because we have lots of older houses with old creaky floorboards for the Rega's and Projects there are a bespoke range of wall mounted supports to stop the problem. I gave up with unsprung turntables years ago for this very reason.

It's a Dual CS505-3. I don't really know if it's any good or not but it does the job.

I think I'll start with the rubber feet and moving the speakers first as it could be a £20 fix. Wall mounts seem a bit (a lot) more expensive but I may have to bite the bullet so I'm not creeping around.

My dual 505 mk4 was a suspended deck so it should be reasonably well isolated already.

Maybe the suspension has seen better days then?

Bluetack is always a first try/cheap way of isolating equipment .

I still have it under my speakers :)

It was a hand me down from the parents who hardly used it, so maybe it could of been from moving it around. If the feet and rubber mat don't work i'll look into the suspension. Currently watching a couple of second hand wall mounts on ebay for £30 ($50) so if I can get one that cheap then I'll just go for that.

Appreciate the help from everyone though, will post if/when i discover a solution.

It's a Dual CS505-3. I don't really know if it's any good or not but it does the job.

I think I'll start with the rubber feet and moving the speakers first as it could be a £20 fix. Wall mounts seem a bit (a lot) more expensive but I may have to bite the bullet so I'm not creeping around.

Didn't see you were in the UK so apologies for that.

A Dual 505 is a perfectly good entry level deck and although it's not got great suspension that sort of thing is exactly what it was designed for so it should be enough to handle what you are asking of it.

Have you got the transit bolts in, i.e. does the top plate move about on springs or is it all fixed? the top plate screws should not be sticking out at all.

If not you've either got a particularly bad floor, the springs on the Dual are buggered or it's just not coping, the only other thing that springs to mind is are rubber feet fitted that have gone rock hard?

A wall mount is easy to make out of wood by the way and for the top a glass sheet is best to mount the turntable on but MDF will do.

Spikes, vibrapods, rubber feet, maple blocks, granite slabs and other damping material are all fine and good.  By all means, experiment with that stuff because it may help with some micro-vibrations within the turntable / tonearm / stylus that you didn't even know existed.

But as allenh has suggested, make a wall-mounted shelf.  Trust me - it's the only thing that's going to cure your footfall woes.  I've lived in a couple of houses with old wooden floors, and even a house with new wooden floors.  You can try to damp all you want, but it sounds like we're talking more than just vibrations.  We're talkin' springy floors that jostle your cabinet - and thus your turntable - every time someone walks past.

Building and installing a wall-mounted shelf is really easy and cheap.  Seriously, buy two brackets that can hold a substantial amount of weight, a sturdy piece of wood (maybe 18" x 24"), some screws, wall anchors and there you go.  And the only tools you need are a level and a drill.  Sanding / staining the wood is optional.  I also put some fancy LED lights on mine and drilled three 1" holes in the back for cords.

Here's a pic of the underside.  It ain't that pretty, but it's effective.

WallShelf.JPG

If the floorboards creek or you can feel them move when you walk past then I fear bearchuck is right and you need a wall shelf but do check the transit bolts on the Dual as they stop the suspension working if in. The manuals for your Dual are in the vinyl engine library so have a look there.

I think you said the cabinet is in a corner which is even better for a wall shelf as you have two places to fix to and the one in the picture was really easy to make, I should really make it look a bit prettier one day as it was one of the temporary permanent things.

DSCF0002_zps6af895e2.jpg

The shelf is the way I'm going to go. Checked all of the transport screws and tried a cheap rubber mat (which seemed to help a bit) but still problems. Going to avoid an actual turntable mount for now just due to price and just build a regular one. Many thanks for your advice on this though!

• 2 weeks later...